The Tortoise and the Hare

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Overall, there seems to be a clouding of the distinction between activity and skill. To clarify the dichotomy in application to the question, 4X only appears to require less skill because activity is more of a factor for a set amount of real time to be active across both gamespeeds. In reality, for equal amounts of game time, the same amount of skill is required, only activity is indeed a significantly more important factor. I plan on expanding on this concept regarding the relative shifts in strategic gameplay approach required across the two game modes.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Yesterday a comment was made that 1x games are more skill-based than 4x games. I honestly never play 1x games, and the very few times that I have, I either didn't know what I was doing yet or I didn't try very hard. So, I honestly don't know if the skill claim is valid or not. I'm interested enough to check it out, though. So, today I joined a 1x WWIII game.

WWIII is what I'm used to playing so I wanted to rule out the variable of a difference in maps. I picked my favorite country (India), because I'm very familiar with them, so it will be a good basis for comparison (how India "feels to me" in 1x rather than 4x).

Obviously, because this is a 1x game, it's going to take forever and a day before I have any results. So, in the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think a 1x game requires more skill than a 4x game? If so or if not, why? I'm actually more interested in why you think what you think.
      You should play 1x game if you like to play with tanks and infantory and 4x if you depend on airforce,personally I like 4x.
      I am the best player of this game that was and ever will be
    • GoldenGuy wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

Yesterday a comment was made that 1x games are more skill-based than 4x games. I honestly never play 1x games, and the very few times that I have, I either didn't know what I was doing yet or I didn't try very hard. So, I honestly don't know if the skill claim is valid or not. I'm interested enough to check it out, though. So, today I joined a 1x WWIII game.

WWIII is what I'm used to playing so I wanted to rule out the variable of a difference in maps. I picked my favorite country (India), because I'm very familiar with them, so it will be a good basis for comparison (how India "feels to me" in 1x rather than 4x).

Obviously, because this is a 1x game, it's going to take forever and a day before I have any results. So, in the meantime, does anyone have any thoughts on this? Do you think a 1x game requires more skill than a 4x game? If so or if not, why? I'm actually more interested in why you think what you think.
      You should play 1x game if you like to play with tanks and infantory and 4x if you depend on airforce,personally I like 4x.
      It doesn’t matter very much unless you don’t have a lot of time to play 4X - i.e. 4x more real time.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

4 x has less margin for error..
      That's my initial thought too. And to me, that suggests that 4x requires more skill, not less, because it is less forgiving of mistakes.
      for example I have just slept for 13 hours walk up to find my zombie map ended with zombies winning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just for one mistake. I also skipped college but that's a side effect.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

1x gives you more time to plan ahead and use all these timing based things like AA-tick and others, also it is much harder to abuse the absence of the other sides, because you will progress much slower, giving them time to return and counteract
      Sort of, but not really; timing based things are actually much faster to do in 4X and by extension therefore often also easier to fit into a schedule. Again, time to plan ahead in 1X vs 4X is different only if there is a discrepancy between gametime to realtime activity ratio of each. It is however definitely harder to take advantage of absences in 1X, by exactly four times for the same amount of real time.
    • I consider it much harder to set patrol properly if you have a time window of only 2,5 min, even more if you might have a moving target, so it would need constant adjustments.

I do not even want to imagine trying to pierce and AA-bubble in 4x speed, though I am naturally for a slow person, that is why I suck in RTS and FPS but are great in turn based.

So in the end it is also a matter of taste.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

I consider it much harder to set patrol properly if you have a time window of only 2,5 min, even more if you might have a moving target, so it would need constant adjustments.

I do not even want to imagine trying to pierce and AA-bubble in 4x speed, though I am naturally for a slow person, that is why I suck in RTS and FPS but are great in turn based.

So in the end it is also a matter of taste.
      Indeed; this is an excellent summary of the dichotomy: 1X vs 4X mostly comes down to preference. For those who like much fast paced, high adrenaline action in their strategy games, 4X is the way to go. For the more methodical or those with less time on their hands, 1X is superior. I personally play RTS, FPS, and TBS, but TBS contains too much combat articulation inaccurately simulating simultaneous movement. CoN is actually technically an RTS since it occurs in real time, but it doesn’t involve the same level of command as most other RTS, being mostly strategic compared to tactical or occasionally operational.
    • abdul_the_brave wrote:

Stratieon wrote:

abdul_the_brave wrote:

never playing X4 again just started one in day 1 I went off for 2 hours to find 12 infantry attacking my capital...
      Just do a better situated or slow start nation; I did that with New Zealand and it worked quite well for me.
      it was my random nation account and noroway
      Oh; that explains it. I would definitely not advise 4X for random if you can’t basically be on CoN the entire day.
    • Stratieon wrote:

abdul_the_brave wrote:

Stratieon wrote:

abdul_the_brave wrote:

never playing X4 again just started one in day 1 I went off for 2 hours to find 12 infantry attacking my capital...
      Just do a better situated or slow start nation; I did that with New Zealand and it worked quite well for me.
      Oh; that explains it. I would definitely not advise 4X for random if you can’t basically be on CoN the entire day.
      Alright, we might be overemphasizing the need for presence in a 4x game a LITTLE bit. I play almost nothing but 4x, and I am certainly out of the game for more than 1 or 2 hours at a time all the time (including on the first day). I'm about to finish my 3rd randomed 4x game (it will be posted under that thread later tonight) and I've come in 1st place in 2 out of the 3 games I've finished under that account. I DO have constant ACCESS to my computer, so I can check in periodically and often most of the time (but I still eat, sleep, shower, date, work, etc.), but it's not QUITE as demanding as I think you folks are making it sound. I always have multiple 4x games going, so I'm obviously not in all of them all the time. I will say, however, that there's almost never a morning when I check in and someone hasn't attacked me overnight (more than an entire game day of time).
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Stratieon wrote:

abdul_the_brave wrote:

Stratieon wrote:

abdul_the_brave wrote:

Alright, we might be overemphasizing the need for presence in a 4x game a LITTLE bit. I play almost nothing but 4x, and I am certainly out of the game for more than 1 or 2 hours at a time all the time (including on the first day). I'm about to finish my 3rd randomed 4x game (it will be posted under that thread later tonight) and I've come in 1st place in 2 out of the 3 games I've finished under that account. I DO have constant ACCESS to my computer, so I can check in periodically and often most of the time (but I still eat, sleep, shower, date, work, etc.), but it's not QUITE as demanding as I think you folks are making it sound. I always have multiple 4x games going, so I'm obviously not in all of them all the time. I will say, however, that there's almost never a morning when I check in and someone hasn't attacked me overnight (more than an entire game day of time).
      True; I suppose a whole day was a small exaggeration. I personally have done 4X without being on the entire day, although that was a New Zealand game, so I had no trouble whatsoever with invasions. It was however definitely considerably more to keep up with. Perhaps a better criteria is those who don’t want daily rush with their morning coffee.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

well may be I'm just not lucky but I'm usually play russia or brazile or large countries (even as random) so I'm in war with many nations and X4 is very hard to play. even in the so-noroway game in day I lost capital as I was off for 2 hours and he attacked my cap with all his units . but u know what? he didn't stack he just sent them separately ! I could have had time to defend If this was regular game