What research should you prioritize as a medium-large sized country like France or Germany?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Teburu wrote:

There isnt really a "Focus on X thing" answer; it usually depends on your location and what you wanna do

Airsuperiority fighters; Combat Recon Vehicles and Gunships are some pretty solid early game reseaches tho
      I know answers like this can sometimes sound like non-answers, but they are not, and Teburu is right.

In this game, it REALLY depends on your specific country, your playstyle, and what you want to do in this specific game. I'll do my best to give you a little more of an answer than that, though.

Take a look at your cities; how many do you have and what types are they? Do you have a lot of ports you have to defend? Do you have a lot of mountains? Do you have a lot of land area? What about your neighbors? What are they likely to make? Consider the Doctrines of your country and your neighbors. If you're in Europe, lots of countries have European Doctrine, so you can expect your neighbors to send a lot of Strike Fighters and Armor/Mech Infantry. A good guideline to use for yourself is to know and use your own country's Doctrine. Lots of Doctrine perks include early research of some units; take advantage of that if and when you can.

Also, what do you plan on doing early? Do you think you're going to have to do a lot of early defending? Put corvettes in your ports as early as you can to keep invaders from landing troops in your cities from the water. Think you might have to defend against planes and helos early? Get some AA guns made quick. Or are you going on the offensive early? Take advantage of those Doctrine bonuses to get your most powerful units into your invading stack more quickly than your opponent can create defenses for them.

Here's a quick and easy example of how Doctrine matters: In Western Doctrine, Attack Helos are available for research on Day 1, but Strike Fighters aren't available until Day 3. In European Doctrine, it's the reverse. Then there are the matters of range, radar, speed, and target type to consider. That's why it really makes a difference what specific country you are, what your playstyle is, and what you plan on trying to do. The game has a little too much variation between nations for us to answer a general "what's the best [blank]?" question most of the time.
    • Indochina Union wrote:

France and Germany are dominant and aggressive nations. They require air and naval superiority, ground force with explosive damage for skirmishing and decent anti-air. So:
      1. Strike Fighters+ ASF
      2. GIGN+ Marines+ L6 Mot
      3. SAMs
      4. TD/MBTs
      5. Frigs high level+ Destroyers+ Cruisers+ Carrier+ Subs if you want to go shady.
      6. Missiles(CMs are better.)
      Seems like horribly over the top and you'll never be able to have all of these units sufficiently upgradet
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Indochina Union wrote:

France and Germany are dominant and aggressive nations. They require air and naval superiority, ground force with explosive damage for skirmishing and decent anti-air. So:
      1. Strike Fighters+ ASF
      2. GIGN+ Marines+ L6 Mot
      3. SAMs
      4. TD/MBTs
      5. Frigs high level+ Destroyers+ Cruisers+ Carrier+ Subs if you want to go shady.
      6. Missiles(CMs are better.)
      Seems like horribly over the top and you'll never be able to have all of these units sufficiently upgradet

Indochina Union wrote:

This is a full comp man. I would recommend recaliberate this list to fit in your playstyle.
      It is a solid and comprehensive list; I wouldn’t want to tangle with a France or Germany using that setup. However, some of these are not early game units and others aren’t exactly superbly synchronized with each other, which is actually a beneficial feature enabling adaptability of the list to various play styles and situations. To narrow the scope, I would recommend starting off with a few specialized units integrating excellently into a powerful army capable of superb force projection with focused research and minimized variety of necessary mobilization infrastructure. Hence the following clarified and modified list to achieve that:

1. ASF + Strikes
      2. Motorized + Marines (later SAS)
      3. TDs + (later AFVs)
      4. MAAV/SAM (depending on situation)
      5. Initial corvettes + destroyers + frigates (later carrier and sub depending on style and situation)
      6. Missiles (Initial CM or Ballistic depending, later any according to style and situation)
    • early on I crank some NGs in few cities... 30 min recruit build than 8 hr build..... can crnk out 3 nits per city per day. Naval port upgrading navy 2 asap then industry or vice versa while research corvette than frig ..... industry in my airport so can start building planes (first few day s just air supp then switch to strike.

Key thing early is to get advantage on opponents .. if I get 1 corvette and no one around me does .. im king of the sea... same thing if get 2 - 3 ir supp and everyone happy with 1 freebie.. im king of the sky.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • So going to put my own 2 cents from the Sim City guy :D

So as pointed out by myself before, I’m a very defensive person. My build is more for a defense-first perspective. So here’s what I would build if I ever play France: (order in what I would research first)

1. Motorized Inf
      2. ASF
      3. AFV
      4. Corvettes
      5. Strike Fighter
      6. Frigates

Basic composition.
      I’ll later expand that if I find myself actually invading countries early on, May start researching Destroyers, Mechanized Inf, Naval and Airborne, etc. Usually not a missile guy due to the high research cost; only time I researched it I lost the game so bad memories ;)
    • with germany which I played and won 4 times or so but only on flash point.
      there is 2 roads
      1- with non competitive players go for crvs they do very well with inf especially after he air assault and they have quit speed and surprisingly they are not that bad vs mechanized
      go for strike fighters or attack choppers with preference to the former u need such Armour damage for such cases a bit later go for mechanized u don't really need much air defense
      try to get a navy ally u have one coastal city and against navies this city might get bombed all the way down to 1 pop (as they can't fight u on land)
      go for both strike fighters and navy strike fighters to make the following mixes (1 navy + 4 strikes) and (3 navy+2 strikes)

2- for more competitive play use national gaurds , mechanized, strike fighter and an air defense of ur preference( prefer sams as I can use strikes vs choppers in some cases)
      one thing to be sure of Never research motorized mechanized outperform him in every aspect.

u must get a navy ally itall or france or spain will be good. Later if u go for artillery go for mrls early air transportation is not very important for europe as the range is more important

buildings
      1- I'm usually a fan of air bases but not in europe 2 cities with lvl 2 airbases and later 1 city lvl2 and 1 city lvl3 is just fine
      later when u get more resources u will obviously produce from all of ur cities and european strikes are really quite a something

2- arms industry all lvl 1 except fuel lvl0 and rare city lvl 5

3- bunkers : with germany I'm usually expanding fast so I don't need many bunkers but lvl1 at least for the rare city for morales

4-hospitals (one of ur airports) should have lvl2 hospitals use mixed air (strike &naval strike and asf if u picked it as air defense to max healing)
      5- don't build all many army bases start with 2 lvl2 for mechanized and later go for a third lvl 2
      6- recruiting offices everywhere to get as ngs as required to defend cities and to get human resources for the hungry mechanized.