Airborne Infantry

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Airborne Infantry

I've been trying to maximize Doctrine benefits lately, which led to me trying in multiple instances to make effective use of Airborne Infantry. What's the deal here? Am I doing it wrong? I must being doing it wrong.

Obviously, I understand the airborne mobility advantage. Is there anything more to them than that, though? Like,... I'm having a hard time feeling like I'm not wasting my time and resources by including them at all.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

I've been trying to maximize Doctrine benefits lately, which led to me trying in multiple instances to make effective use of Airborne Infantry. What's the deal here? Am I doing it wrong? I must being doing it wrong.

Obviously, I understand the airborne mobility advantage. Is there anything more to them than that, though? Like,... I'm having a hard time feeling like I'm not wasting my time and resources by including them at all.
      Honestly, I can’t say airborne have much more than the mobility advantage, but that is a very important advantage. In Eastern or Western, I normally use them assist my SF in decisively outmaneuvering and finishing enemy forces, particularly in tough terrain, or in capturing strategic targets acting as key enabling factors in my operations; e.g. airbases. In that role, they avail themselves of their investment with considerable value.
    • personally think airborn biggest waste.. i have never used.. but have seen may partners try to use and its never been effective. in concept can jump areas but if cant hold who cares..

at least navy inf serves purpose of islands and surprise attack. Any air inf any enemy has tried on me i shoot down or take out with strikes before they deploy.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • i did have one coal partner who used then well at end of a game. but he was still experimenting. best use was he had like 9 of them in an area we basically had controlled via air and would cluster them out from an airbase to 9 closest prov .. then relaunch to next 9 so pretty rapidly could conquer prov in an area .. i just dont see them working in a sustained attack against rel opposition later in game.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • That's pretty much been my experience with them. You see them chopper into empty or very lightly defended cities/territories, and you think, "Wow! I need those!" But then you spend tons researching them and building all the buildings it takes to even mobilize them, and practically all they do is die. They do have a use, but I just can't seem to justify the cost and trouble of putting them on the map.
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

i did have one coal partner who used then well at end of a game. but he was still experimenting. best use was he had like 9 of them in an area we basically had controlled via air and would cluster them out from an airbase to 9 closest prov .. then relaunch to next 9 so pretty rapidly could conquer prov in an area .. i just dont see them working in a sustained attack against rel opposition later in game.

PerigeeNil wrote:

That's pretty much been my experience with them. You see them chopper into empty or very lightly defended cities/territories, and you think, "Wow! I need those!" But then you spend tons researching them and building all the buildings it takes to even mobilize them, and practically all they do is die. They do have a use, but I just can't seem to justify the cost and trouble of putting them on the map.
      That’s true, and that is their primary use, but as I have said, I normally employ them as a cheap accompaniment for spec ops and to capture strategic targets. That choppering into lightly defended regions and capturing them can be extremely useful for gaining territory rapidly and securing essential points, such as transport hubs, for use or denying them to the enemy.
    • Is it working as intended or is this a bug?

I Air Assaulted an enemy infantry that was bombarding my outpost but when I landed a single infantry had dealt around 9 damage to my airbone unit (I believe that was 2 triggers of 4.5 ATTACK, 6.0 -with 25% in the mountains)

I was expecting to only take the helicopter defense damage but is it the case that if you're both attacking it uses the infantry damage instead.

Screenshot
      prntscr.com/10mc056
    • Maxed out infantry have an arty capability-
      so they will attack always, but since they can't attack a chopper, they simply attack the unit...
      it might, might not, be a bug.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Yzaxtol wrote:

Is it working as intended or is this a bug?

I Air Assaulted an enemy infantry that was bombarding my outpost but when I landed a single infantry had dealt around 9 damage to my airbone unit (I believe that was 2 triggers of 4.5 ATTACK, 6.0 -with 25% in the mountains)

I was expecting to only take the helicopter defense damage but is it the case that if you're both attacking it uses the infantry damage instead.

Screenshot
      prntscr.com/10mc056

If 9 damage was dealt in the first combat round, it looks like a bug.

If there where 2 combat rounds not so much.
    • I was using them with special forces, however to get both units alot of research needs to go towards them and in the endgame the strategy requires great micromanagement.

Maybe to use spacial forces in combination with towed artilery to flank the enemy and SF to make cover in mountains si if enemy will go for artilery he ends up in trap. I made some tests on multiple games but again big micromanagement.

To SUM it up as SF cannot take land they can be good combo but SF are better for reconesence and ambush. However good mechanics is that if you are attacking from air first attack you attack from helicopter to join it with airbourne officer can be quite deadly.
    • playbabe wrote:

How good is spec ops?

yes
      - me
      note: this isn't even fully upgrade

image0.jpg
      They are very strong when paired correctly. However for this example you leave out that at minimum you need Player Rank 25 to unlock the Airborne Officer actually becoming a Special Forces unit, as before it's just a stronger Airborne Infantry. Also you are using the Eastern Special Forces which are the most powerful Special Forces in the game. The other two doctrine values for infantry would be 2 lower on attack and 1 lower for defense which does make a pretty big difference given bonuses.

However you are right that Maxed out Eastern Special Forces with a Maxed out Spec Ops Commander would be truly frightening in terms of damage. We're looking at over 350 damage to infantry on the most favorable conditions and around 172 damage to armor. It basically becomes almost a moving ICBM in terms of damage. Tell me do you air assault in a group of 10 or you split them off in groups of 5? I personally never really understood why they don't change the air rules for air assault as it doesn't make sense for ground units.