AA Confusion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• AA Confusion

Help me out here, because I am clearly missing something.

My enemy and I are fighting in a city.

My enemy has an AA gun.

I (unrelated) put my aircraft on patrol outside the city AND what I think is outside of the AA range.

It's a 4x map, and I continue to actively play for awhile (long-enough for multiple AA ticker rounds to pass on a 4x map). No interaction between my aircraft and the AA gun.

I eventually log off with everything still in the same position.

I log back in a short while later. The battle is still going on in the city, and has at no point concluded. BUT my patrolling aircraft have all died from AA fire from the enemy stack that's been fighting in the city the entire time.

What happened? How were my aircraft fine before but within AA range while I was offline? Weren't the enemy units combat locked? How did my planes get into range?

It's not my intention to argue against everything and refuse all answer, because I really do want to know. BUT, it's also not my first game. Obviously there's something I'm missing, but it's probably not something very basic, or I'd be aware of it. I think this has happened to me a few times now.

Do aircraft patrol in irregular patterns that put them in different places at irregular intervals?
    • Well, I've thought about that, and here's what I know (maybe you'll see something that I don't):

I owned all of the land around the city, and the stack had the same number designator and a similar number of units (less).

I'm trying to figure out how additional units could have been involved, but I'm coming up short so far.

I even thought that perhaps a retreat was involved (and then they went back, I guess?) but they couldn't retreat to territories they didn't own, right? So that's out.
    • If it helps at all, this is what I was doing today (and possibly in the past when it happened):

As I said, our two stacks were engaged in the city; I was defending. My opponent had been sending a stack of strikers all over the map, so I positioned my air supe fighters over my own territory between the city and the airport from which he had been flying. He never sent his strikers, for what it's worth. I waited to make sure my fighters weren't in air range, did some other things, logged off, then logged back in to messages about how they'd been killed by his stack in the city.
    • 737373elj wrote:

Did you check if the aircraft had been damaged by AA? The game sometimes doesn’t report what happened.
      I think you're asking if I clicked on the stack of aircraft to look in the unit box to see if they had been damaged, right? I did not.

If that happens, that could be a possible explanation. I've never actually encountered any of my other units taking damage without it being reported (in a situation like that), though.
    • Your plane actually patrols in a circle... even though center point outside range.. within 10 min it will get to that outer edge that is withing range of AA. Thus why didnt fired on you immediately .. then as plane circled back out of range will not get fired on also depends on the AA scan timing. As even when not in combat unless fired upon AA will only pick up in range airplanes once every 10 min. so in theory given right timing could almost be 20 min by the time you started patrol til when you were first attacked or technically even longer. think of it as two clocks side by side with a slight overalp .. hands are spinning both independently on their cycle.. if when they would intersect at same time would get a fire scenario and gave timing not always 100 pct on this game. Like I have found sometimes if my Friggs arent firing and plane coming if move ship slightly and stop /start ship it seems to trigger the AA but not always 100 pct.

But general rule .. dont leave planes unattended near enemy territory. Even if you were truly out of range .. nothing would stop that guy from moving his AA over an inch.

Also have noted several times as people say game not reporting units I kill as being lost on opponents news feed. (usually tanks in a stack) so if an opponent came on later their is not audit record of that unit being killed it just appears to have disappeared but I know I killed it. In addition some battle volleys do not show up in notifications at all hourly even when actively going on.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp

The post was edited 2 times, last by The Pale Rider ().

• Buckeyechamp wrote:

But general rule .. dont leave planes unattended near enemy territory. Even if you were truly out of range .. nothing would stop that guy from moving his AA over an inch.
      Thanks for all of the helpful information and the consideration, Buck.

I wanted to re-address the quoted part really quickly just to be clear. As stated above, my planes were over my territory, and the enemy units were locked in combat in the city and unable to retreat. Therefore, they could not "move over an inch". And, the enemy wouldn't have been able to see my planes anyway.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Thanks for all of the helpful information and the consideration, Buck.
      I wanted to re-address the quoted part really quickly just to be clear. As stated above, my planes were over my territory, and the enemy units were locked in combat in the city and unable to retreat. Therefore, they could not "move over an inch". And, the enemy wouldn't have been able to see my planes anyway.
      Although theoretically, they might be able to retreat a very short distance inside the city.