Any Cruise Missile Junkies - Seems Tomahawk actually reduces overall firepower?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Buckeyechamp wrote:

yeah its really bad with planes ... 1 game was prepared to sacrifice a good part of my SF against a ASF just to get it out and was shocked that it did like half the damage it should have. ground units are pretty consistent but planes and ships who knows. even on some airstrikes 1 bombing will be less than expected damage than the next more than expected; guesse it all averages out but sometimes frustrating as I like to attack with the bare necessary force and mad when left with .2 hp of something when clearly should have ben gone (yes I do account for enchremnt bonuses)
      I agree; that wild fluctuation is insufferable, especially when you have just one ASF at the start of a Rising Tides game...
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

OK I have used Cruise Missiles before but got to point Im just firing missiles everywhere instead of tearing up planes. So I have been doing more adv levl research than before.

CM lvl1 - 10 HP soft/30 hard - 200 range like 3hp (easy to get shot down)

CM lvel2 - 10 HP soft / 35 hard - 200 range like 4 hp (ehh better chance to get through)

CM lvl 3 - 10 soft / 40 hard - 250 range 5 hp

Up to this point requires 1 warhead ... but next research now bumps to 2 war heads

CM lvl 4 (tomahawk) 15 soft / 55 hard - 275 range main bump is up to 11 HP health so basically a short range/mobile Ballistic missile.

But I guess my beef (I know sound spoiled complaining about my advanced toy ;) ) is at lvl 3 two CMs gave me combined fire power of 20 soft / 80 hard and 10 HP health now "upgraded to 15 soft / 55 hard for same amount of warheads.

So it appears getting tomahawk is only "upgrade" ive seen that reduces your firepower. Only main advantage would be getting through advanced level AA or frigg stacks.

Would be nice if had an option (do I want my 1 warhead CM or the tomahawk.) as not sure Id go above lvl 3 again.

Any users of Tomahawks that can shed some light/advantages that Im missing. yeah I get added building damage but if you got cruise you already have ballistic missiles by default (assuming built launch capability - AKA Ballistic sub).
      I made the mistake my first time using them, and now always stop short of developing the 2 warhead requirement. How many times I wish you could choose which level CM you wanted to fire, WHEN you fired it. If that were possible, I'd still research out the tree, but only use the multiwarhead ones in special circumstances.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • It's an interesting idea.

I love the CM tech curve because it's a radical "role change".

When T2 hits for the CM, it becomes an "armored" missile that gradually gets through more and more AA. It ends as "counter productive" to research it T2-T3 if your opponents do not do Anti-missile (sure, they are dumb, but it's for the context).

I would really like the ability to choose a payload (Weak T1 payload : low damage and low HP but efficient vs T2 : high damage, high hp, but less efficient) , but i think the problem is code :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

It's an interesting idea.

I love the CM tech curve because it's a radical "role change".

When T2 hits for the CM, it becomes an "armored" missile that gradually gets through more and more AA. It ends as "counter productive" to research it T2-T3 if your opponents do not do Anti-missile (sure, they are dumb, but it's for the context).

I would really like the ability to choose a payload (Weak T1 payload : low damage and low HP but efficient vs T2 : high damage, high hp, but less efficient) , but i think the problem is code :D
      yes also for low aa for example ( 2 aa no sams or a single sam) tier 1 lvl 3 is better if no restriction on missiles numbers.
      they have 5 hp assuming u broke the tic already sending to they will arrive at health 3/5 health each (due to defense ) total 6/5 ~ 1.2 of a missile damage. for tier 2 missile its damage will be reduced a little but at max tier 2 it already give more damage. The 2 missiles will probably give abit more damage if we assume linear relation between damage dealt and health renaming at the missile).

If we don't ignore the aa envelop we will need a third tier 1 missile which will only give 1/5 of the damage. On the other hand the tier 2 will surpass both the envelop and defense rating giving more than half of its damage and by using 2 tier 2 we get much much more damage than 3 or even 4 tier 1 missiles.

So against such low aa tier1 (lvl 3 specifically ) will be preferable if u already attacked with other air units and tic is over.
      Also to consider the duration of the game as tech is costy which would have meant more missiles.

If we consider other than conventional cms another way could be more efficient.Nuclear and chemical missiles (in apocalypse for instance) have splash damage allowing the use of ballistic missiles (at lvl 3 max speed of tier 1) instead of cms which I found rather interesting in apocalypse game last week. Fighting along coastal cities made my ballistic sub attacks faster than my cruise missile attacks. I just needed to focus on attacking mountains as low speed deprives them the chance o get out of splash.
      It went like that 1 cm (from a coalition member) turns off aa and the ballistic nuclear destroys the stack. It has incredible amount of damage. Chemical missiles should have such capability as well.

The problem is chemical research is quite expensive that players hardly do unless for ballistic missiles to be quiet threatening and usually this player can't afford to go cms so this strategy needs cooperation of 2 players.

The launcher should be used in land instead of subs but I never built those things.