Island Nation Military Doctrine?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Island Nation Military Doctrine?

Hey, @Germanico, et al., have we ever considered adding a separate (4th) military Doctrine for island nations?

I'm a big fan of the idea of Doctrines and using them effectively. I was thinking that perhaps an Island Doctrine could highlight the naval focus of island nations (and maybe other nations with a strong naval focus). What do you think?
    • personally . never have chosen a game/country on doctrine its like xmas morning what you get. also no doctrine
      has been a cause for my victories. i choose countries on interest to play or strategic advantage and doctrine plays zero pct in that decision.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

personally . never have chosen a game/country on doctrine its like xmas morning what you get. also no doctrine
      has been a cause for my victories. i choose countries on interest to play or strategic advantage and doctrine plays zero pct in that decision.
      You certainly don't HAVE to pay attention to doctrine (or choose nations specifically for a doctrine). I'd agree that it's never the sole cause for a victory, but I can't really point to any one game mechanic that would be. It's a combination of things, of which I think playing to the assigned doctrine can be a beneficial one. I wouldn't necessarily suggest that anyone should choose their nation based on doctrine if they weren't specifically interested in playing a style that directly fits one or another.

That being said, I think doctrine is worth being aware of and taking advantage of to some degree. Just as one example, take Attack Helicopters with Western Doctrine they get a +20% damage against armor and you can research their various levels two days faster at the lower levels and 4 days faster at the higher levels, as compared to European and Eastern.

Now, do you HAVE to use Attack Helicopters if you're playing a Western Doctrine country? Certainly not. Is it wrong not to? Not necessarily. Are there certain situations where it might even make more sense not use them as a Western Doctrine country? Sure. But if you decide not to use them, you're giving up that damage bonus and that quick development option.

One example of a head-to-head advantage is Western Doctrine Air Superiority Fighters. They do 10% more damage against all other aircraft and they have the option to be developed faster. So, all things considered, Western Doctrine has an ASF advantage over the other two doctrines. That might be worth noting to a player looking to establish air superiority.

I don't know about you, but I LIKE stat bonuses, so I'll take them where I can get them. I don't necessarily take advantage of every doctrine bonus in every game, but the military doctrine of the nation I've selected is certainly one major consideration in every game I play.

The post was edited 2 times, last by PerigeeNil ().

• One benefit just found was European Union has really good strike fighters. which is a plus ... but keep same strategies. Terrain and location dictates type of troops outside normal package more than anything for me.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp