Unpopular Opinion: The classic real time WW3 mode is superior to the 4x speed mode

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Unpopular Opinion: The classic real time WW3 mode is superior to the 4x speed mode

Yes the 4x is good for those who prefer a fast paced gameplay but come on man , one day you are doing fine and the next day you see your nation completely obliterated after waking up. 4x does not give any time to rest while the gameplay of the classic version is slow, calm and allows for more enjoyment and relaxation
    • I've had to scramble like heck and do major damage control after waking up in a 1X game, I can't imagine how quick I'd have been dead on 4X
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I think it's a misconception that playing 4x means not sleeping. I play ONLY 4x; I play lots of them; I sleep normally; and I don't do too shabby most of the time.

Are there EVER times when I get absolutely DUSTED while I'm asleep? Sure, but it's not every game like the 1x folks would have you believe.

I'm being completely sincere when I say that I feel like I get taken by surprise more often in 1x. How can that be? Because I'm never logged into 1x, and when I am, it seems like nothing is happening. So, I log out. I log back in later? Still nothing. I guess I need to give it some more time. So I log out for longer. Log back in? I've been under attack since five minutes after the last time I logged out which was hours ago.

The answer to this seems like it would be "Well, make stuff happen while you are logged in." I can't. I can START stuff when I'm logged in, but it's not going to actually happen until 2 hours from now.

Also, speaking of stuff happening while you are asleep... Do you 1x folks just always schedule everything so nothing happens while you sleep? In 4x, I can start an action and know it will finish up in a relatively short amount of time. So, I can plan to have all of my stuff in a defensive place on the day I'm going to be asleep. In 1x, can you ONLY start actions in the morning? What happens when you 1x people sleep? Do you just have your stuff out there undefended all willy nilly?
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

I think it's a misconception that playing 4x means not sleeping. I play ONLY 4x; I play lots of them; I sleep normally; and I don't do too shabby most of the time.

Are there EVER times when I get absolutely DUSTED while I'm asleep? Sure, but it's not every game like the 1x folks would have you believe.

I'm being completely sincere when I say that I feel like I get taken by surprise more often in 1x. How can that be? Because I'm never logged into 1x, and when I am, it seems like nothing is happening. So, I log out. I log back in later? Still nothing. I guess I need to give it some more time. So I log out for longer. Log back in? I've been under attack since five minutes after the last time I logged out which was hours ago.

The answer to this seems like it would be "Well, make stuff happen while you are logged in." I can't. I can START stuff when I'm logged in, but it's not going to actually happen until 2 hours from now.

Also, speaking of stuff happening while you are asleep... Do you 1x folks just always schedule everything so nothing happens while you sleep? In 4x, I can start an action and know it will finish up in a relatively short amount of time. So, I can plan to have all of my stuff in a defensive place on the day I'm going to be asleep. In 1x, can you ONLY start actions in the morning? What happens when you 1x people sleep? Do you just have your stuff out there undefended all willy nilly?
      As for leaving stuff undefended, definitely not. (For me.) But yes, it gets tedious at times, but I prefer tedious to sneak attacks I can’t defend from. Although I haven’t tried many 4x games, so perhaps I should get into some more.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

@Pafufu, so, not asking you to divulge TOO much: Do you just plan for the day each day and then put everything to rest every night?
      I don't know WHAT you are talking about with that, 'cause it seems to me your objection is only magnified 4 fold in 4X. Your waypoint planned movements either are 4 times longer or your units are put to rest for 4 times as long.

4X blows, and I only sleep around 4 hours at a time, but everytime I do, that's 3/4 of a day in 4X. Anyone launching a serious attack during that time most likely will put you out of contention every time unless they are incompetant.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

@Pafufu, so, not asking you to divulge TOO much: Do you just plan for the day each day and then put everything to rest every night?
      I don't know WHAT you are talking about with that, 'cause it seems to me your objection is only magnified 4 fold in 4X. Your waypoint planned movements either are 4 times longer or your units are put to rest for 4 times as long.
      4X blows, and I only sleep around 4 hours at a time, but everytime I do, that's 3/4 of a day in 4X. Anyone launching a serious attack during that time most likely will put you out of contention every time unless they are incompetant.
      Right. I do rest my units while I sleep. It gives them time to heal, I gather them in relatively safe locations, etc. What's wrong with that? And I have the time every real day to travel somewhere, carry out an attack, and then shelter in place, because I'm awake for more than 2.5 game days at a time. I'm asking, when you're never awake for one full game day at a time, how do you send your units out to attack AND have them back in a safe place before you go to sleep at night? The only thing I can imagine is that you either have to start all of your short operations early in the day or your units are out in the open somewhere during the night, right? How can you start moving your troops at 7pm to an attack 4 hours away, periodically check in on their progress, and get a good night's rest if you're playing 1x? You can't, right? You're either awake or you're not able to check on them. In 4x, you can start that movement at 7pm, it will arrive in an hour, and you have plenty of time to settle things back into a relatively safe place before you go to bed.

Is getting attacked during the entire game day that you sleep every four game days a problem in 4x? Sure it is, but you learn how to manage that as best you can. No one in 4x is ALWAYS going to be completely safe 100% of the time while they're asleep, but people still figure out how to sleep and win 4x games. 4x players are human too. Every winner of a 4x game isn't someone who went completely without sleep for 10 days. I play multiple 4x games at a time, and I sleep every night.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

ThePanda wrote:

Teburu wrote:

another unpopular opinion:
      chocolate icecream < strawberry icecream
      but what about...chocolate icecream + strawberry icecream?
      Can't be done.
      Savages, Vanilla is the only Purist Ice cream.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• PerigeeNil wrote:

Right. I do rest my units while I sleep. It gives them time to heal, I gather them in relatively safe locations, etc. What's wrong with that? And I have the time every real day to travel somewhere, carry out an attack, and then shelter in place, because I'm awake for more than 2.5 game days at a time. I'm asking, when you're never awake for one full game day at a time, how do you send your units out to attack AND have them back in a safe place before you go to sleep at night? The only thing I can imagine is that you either have to start all of your short operations early in the day or your units are out in the open somewhere during the night, right? How can you start moving your troops at 7pm to an attack 4 hours away, periodically check in on their progress, and get a good night's rest if you're playing 1x? You can't, right? You're either awake or you're not able to check on them. In 4x, you can start that movement at 7pm, it will arrive in an hour, and you have plenty of time to settle things back into a relatively safe place before you go to bed.
      Is getting attacked during the entire game day that you sleep every four game days a problem in 4x? Sure it is, but you learn how to manage that as best you can. No one in 4x is ALWAYS going to be completely safe 100% of the time while they're asleep, but people still figure out how to sleep and win 4x games. 4x players are human too. Every winner of a 4x game isn't someone who went completely without sleep for 10 days. I play multiple 4x games at a time, and I sleep every night.
      I really can't explain without giving away my whole strategy, so let's just put it kind of this way: I protect the important stuff and don't worry about the cream in the oreo. It can be eaten again.
      The KING of CoN News!!!