ISO Advice on 1x Speed Game Management

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• The #1 piece of advice that blue44elephant gave was to use my Delay timer to time events for when I'm going to be awake. That's good advice and makes perfect sense. I don't normally do that in 4x, because I can usually just start and complete the event while I'm awake. I normally just use my Delay timer in 4x to make sure units arrive at a certain place in a certain order.

So, see, that was good advice that had to do with the real world/game time differences in 1x and 4x that I didni't need to counterpoint at all, that I didn't need any further explanation on, and that I'll be putting into practice.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

You don't have to build a bunker in a city to get the entrenchment bonus, though. I don't build bunkers in every city. In fact, in a game I almost never build more than 3 total. And then, it's usually to help protect buildings as well as troops.

Cities give an entrenchment bonus on their own, and you don't have to spend any resources to get it. Also, I don't always use mechanized infantry. In fact, I probably use them less than a quarter of a time. Marines, National Guard, and Motor Infantry all get a defensive bonus in cities IN ADDITION to the entrenchment bonus. I also almost never use Main Battle Tanks, so they're not really a factor for me.
      ok, here is what i am trying to say: BOTH PROVINCES AND CITIES provide entrenchment bonus but if you want more protection then you should build a Bunker (in cities) and combat outposts (in provinces) but level 1 bunker takes 9 hours to build and a combat outpost takes only 1 hour and both give the same amount bonus. So, why not fight in a province?
      Declaring war isn't enough, one must also know how to wage war.
      Lost battles can be summed up in two words: TOO LATE
    • Time Dilatation plays a role on the human side of things. One may argue that it's proportional, but it's not (you can argue with that) the feeling i have from my modest experience.

The closest thing i have under the hand as a comparison would be "playing 1 game vs 10 games". There are proportions in terms of how you can play, and the limiting factor is "the guy behind the screen".

It's also why (i guess), seeing an individual play (and win) 25 simultaneous blind chess game provocks in the average joe i am a deep feeling of nearly unbelieving admiration :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

Time Dilatation plays a role on the human side of things. One may argue that it's proportional, but it's not (you can argue with that) the feeling i have from my modest experience.

The closest thing i have under the hand as a comparison would be "playing 1 game vs 10 games". There are proportions in terms of how you can play, and the limiting factor is "the guy behind the screen".

It's also why (i guess), seeing an individual play (and win) 25 simultaneous blind chess game provocks in the average joe i am a deep feeling of nearly unbelieving admiration :D
      I couldn't agree more.
    • blue44elephant wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

You don't have to build a bunker in a city to get the entrenchment bonus, though. I don't build bunkers in every city. In fact, in a game I almost never build more than 3 total. And then, it's usually to help protect buildings as well as troops.

Cities give an entrenchment bonus on their own, and you don't have to spend any resources to get it. Also, I don't always use mechanized infantry. In fact, I probably use them less than a quarter of a time. Marines, National Guard, and Motor Infantry all get a defensive bonus in cities IN ADDITION to the entrenchment bonus. I also almost never use Main Battle Tanks, so they're not really a factor for me.
      ok, here is what i am trying to say: BOTH PROVINCES AND CITIES provide entrenchment bonus but if you want more protection then you should build a Bunker (in cities) and combat outposts (in provinces) but level 1 bunker takes 9 hours to build and a combat outpost takes only 1 hour and both give the same amount bonus. So, why not fight in a province?
      Okay, so let's be clear, because there are a number of elements here. I'll break each environment down:

Defending in empty territories/provinces: No cost. No universal entrenchment bonus. POSSIBILITY of a defense bonus or a defense penalty, depending on the terrain and the unit type.

Defending in a foreign City without a Bunker: No cost. Automatic entrenchment bonus provided by the city. ALSO the POSSIBILITY of a defense bonus for some units that defend better in cities (many infantry types). NO infantry types take a penalty for defending in cities. MBTs are the ONLY armor that take a penalty for defending in cities.

Defending in a territory province with a Combat Outpost: Cost of the Outpost. Entrenchment bonus. POSSIBILITY of a defense bonus or a defense penalty, depending on the terrain and the unit type.

Defending in a foreign City with a Bunker: Cost of Bunker. Automatic entrenchment bonus of the city. Better defensive bonus than Combat Outpost. ALSO the POSSIBILITY of a defense bonus for some units that defend better in cities (many infantry types). NO infantry types take a penalty for defending in cities. MBTs are the ONLY armor that take a penalty for defending in cities.

So, why would I choose to defend in foreign cities rather than in a province/territory? Because without spending any resources at all, I can benefit from the entrenchment bonus of the City plus any additional bonuses my units get for defending in a city. Plus, there's no chance I'm getting a defense penalty UNLESS I am defending with MBTs in the city, which I never ever do.

Does that mean that I never build Combat Bunkers or that they can't ever provide better defense than a city? No, I use them sometimes, and they can. BUT I have to pay for every Combat Bunker I put up across the map, and I can effectively use them in the right types of terrain. So, that's why I default to city defense. I know that no matter where I am on the map, if I'm defending in a city, I'm getting the entrenchment bonus and any applicable troop city defense bonuses without ANY cost and without any chance for defense penalties due to terrain.
    • Let's use a real life example. Currently, I am playing Serbia and defending against a Greek attack in the area of Sofia (which I conquered on Day 1). I have the following types of units: Motorized Infantry, CRV, Mobile AA.

Defendiing in the city of Sofia:

- I spent nothing.
      - All units get a 25% entrenchment bonus
      - Motor Infantry also get a 25% (city) terrain bonus for defense
      - No terrain penalties to any units
      - Sofia is defended no matter which route my enemy takes

In the province of Pernik to the SW (the travel route for the invading Greeks), if I built a Combat Outpost:

- I spend resources to build the Combat Outpost
      - All units take 33% less damage
      - Motor Inf Infantry get a 25% (forest) terrain bonus for defense
      - Mobile AA takes a -25% terrain penalty to both attack and defense
      - A smart enemy can take a different route and still attack Sofia
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

Let's use a real life example. Currently, I am playing Serbia and defending against a Greek attack in the area of Sofia (which I conquered on Day 1). I have the following types of units: Motorized Infantry, CRV, Mobile AA.

Defendiing in the city of Sofia:

- I spent nothing.
      - All units get a 25% entrenchment bonus
      - Motor Infantry also get a 25% (city) terrain bonus for defense
      - No terrain penalties to any units
      - Sofia is defended no matter which route my enemy takes

In the province of Pernik to the SW (the travel route for the invading Greeks), if I built a Combat Outpost:

- I spend resources to build the Combat Outpost
      - All units take 33% less damage
      - Motor Inf Infantry get a 25% (forest) terrain bonus for defense
      - Mobile AA takes a -25% terrain penalty to both attack and defense
      - A smart enemy can take a different route and still attack Sofia
      Bruh, the 25% entrenchment bonus is provided in PROVINCES also try it out yourself. Send a unit to a province and see for yourself. Also a rule of thumb, my father taught when he was in afghanistan (if you don't believe me check for yourself, germans were there in Afghanistan) and then i passed on this lesson to my colleagues and people in my unit. Read carefully it will be useful.
      Defenders have two disadvantage:
      They are stuck and can't move: If you move from your position the enemy will capture it
      If THE DEFENDERS don't move: Then they will get bombed to pieces.
      Take kargil war for example: Its belligerents were India and Pakistan.
      Pakistan occupied abandoned Indian outposts (because it was winter and the Indians would withdraw to lower parts of the mountain range and then come back when it was summer again). Then they( The Pakistanis) got out their mortars and started bombarding the highway which connected the Indians to some I don't know some kind of strategic location. So what did you learn? A bunker won't help if i get a multiple rocket launcher system and put it on a mountain or just any province near one of you cities. Then you will be forced to either
      a) CHARGE my Multiple Rocket Launcher System which will not be left unprotected of course OR
      b) WITHDRAW: practically make a run for it.

The post was edited 1 time, last by blue44elephant ().

• blue44elephant wrote:

Bruh, the 25% entrenchment bonus is provided in PROVINCES also try it out yourself.
      You're right. Thanks for pointing that out. I actually didn't know that because I rarely have units sitting still in empty provinces. That being said, there are still terrain modifiers, and unlike in a city, they're not always positive. Plus, again, it costs nothing to sit in a city (in fact, you HAVE to sit in cities sometimes to guard against insurgencies), while it costs resources to build Combat Outposts. Also, cities heal and empty provinces don't.

As for the rest, that's very good advice, but I'm not sure how it applies here. A Combat Outpost won't help against MRLs either... So, how is your MRL example supportive of your Combat Outpost point?

The post was edited 3 times, last by PerigeeNil ().

• In the comparison of Combat Outposts vs foreign Cities with no Bunkers, here's what it comes down to:

Combat Outposts offer better defense but cost resources, but are potentially subject to negative terrain modifiers, and they can be avoided.

CIties without bunkers offer less defense, but are free, always (with the exception of MBTs, which no one should have in cities) offer either positive or neutral terrain modifiers to infantry and armor (other than MBTs), and can only be avoided if the player isn't interested in gaining VPs or resources.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

In the comparison of Combat Outposts vs foreign Cities with no Bunkers, here's what it comes down to:

Combat Outposts offer better defense but cost resources, but are potentially subject to negative terrain modifiers, and they can be avoided.

CIties without bunkers offer less defense, but are free, always (with the exception of MBTs, which no one should have in cities) offer either positive or neutral terrain modifiers to infantry and armor (other than MBTs), and can only be avoided if the player isn't interested in gaining VPs or resources.
      good, lets talk. Imagine an enemy army group consisting of three main battle tanks, one armored fighting vehicle and 3 mechanized infantry is moving towards your capital and the nearest city with reinforcements is one day away.
      The enemy is 20 hours away and has to cross 5 provinces. You have 5 infantry and one armored fighting vehicle which is TIER 2. What do you do?
      Put 1 infantry unit per province in 4 of the provinces and 1 infantry and armored fighting vehicle in the fifth one. Since, damage is dealt every one hour he will have to waste solid 5 hours plus another one if a combat outpost was in the province with the armored fighting vehicle so your troops get to the capital FIRST and then a bloody battle shall begin.
    • and you don't have to build a pre-planned outpost, so only pop it up when needed. Because human psychology says: "No combat outpost there? YES! Easy win! I will just send my army group alone." But on the other hand: Sh#t man, there is a combat outpost in there better empty out my nuclear arsenal. BUT if you are like me nowadays, someone who spends his time telling jokes in the officers mess or fooling around in the shooting range scaring away and teasing newly recruited soldiers and then losing the track of time then it might be a bit hard for you to remember things as humans have priorities and entertainment is one of the last things they think about. So chances are you might forget about the game so consider transferring account to your mobile and switch on notifications( i guess the game has notifications not sure though)

The post was edited 2 times, last by blue44elephant ().

• I have Premium for not losing time with construction but it needs a bit of planning ahead. Especially as this features seems to make his own priorities and not mine.

with research i sometimes research something that ends when i wake up or when Its daytime so i have the chance to start the next reseach without losing time.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • blue44elephant wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

In the comparison of Combat Outposts vs foreign Cities with no Bunkers, here's what it comes down to:

good, lets talk. Imagine an enemy army group consisting of three main battle tanks, one armored fighting vehicle and 3 mechanized infantry is moving towards your capital and the nearest city with reinforcements is one day away.The enemy is 20 hours away and has to cross 5 provinces. You have 5 infantry and one armored fighting vehicle which is TIER 2. What do you do?
      Put 1 infantry unit per province in 4 of the provinces and 1 infantry and armored fighting vehicle in the fifth one. Since, damage is dealt every one hour he will have to waste solid 5 hours plus another one if a combat outpost was in the province with the armored fighting vehicle so your troops get to the capital FIRST and then a bloody battle shall begin.

Sounds like a bad tactic, 7 units vs 1 and there is a high chance of your units dieing in on hit without dealing any meaningful damage or slowing. Getting a kill resets the combat timer for most units.

I would either let those troops fight in the city, profiting of the terrain advantage or just give up the city. To can always get territory back, as long you have troops left.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

blue44elephant wrote:

PerigeeNil wrote:

good, lets talk. Imagine an enemy army group consisting of three main battle tanks, one armored fighting vehicle and 3 mechanized infantry is moving towards your capital and the nearest city with reinforcements is one day away.The enemy is 20 hours away and has to cross 5 provinces. You have 5 infantry and one armored fighting vehicle which is TIER 2. What do you do?Put 1 infantry unit per province in 4 of the provinces and 1 infantry and armored fighting vehicle in the fifth one. Since, damage is dealt every one hour he will have to waste solid 5 hours plus another one if a combat outpost was in the province with the armored fighting vehicle so your troops get to the capital FIRST and then a bloody battle shall begin.
      Sounds like a bad tactic, 7 units vs 1 and there is a high chance of your units dieing in on hit without dealing any meaningful damage or slowing. Getting a kill resets the combat timer for most units.

I would either let those troops fight in the city, profiting of the terrain advantage or just give up the city. To can always get territory back, as long you have troops left.
      bruh, I know they will die but since damage is dealt every one hour they will delay solid 5 hours, so that reinforcements can arrive
    • Kalrakh wrote:

blue44elephant wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Not if they die instantly, as already mentioned.
      try to understand that damage is dealt every 60 mins on 1 times map and i have five units so i will get 5 hours of time to reinforce my capital
      Try to understand, that most units get a attack reset when they managed to kill a stack off. ;)
      ok try doing it yourself tell me the result