ISO Advice on 1x Speed Game Management

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • ISO Advice on 1x Speed Game Management

      Hello All,

      As many of you know, I almost NEVER play 1x. To me, it is not only painfully slow, but also so extended that I have a hard time with the timing/planning of an effective strategy.

      In this thread, I would ask that we not debate the benefits/drawbacks of 1x and 4x speeds. We've done that in multiple other threads, and we don't need to do it again here.

      Instead, I'm asking experienced 1x players for advice on how they manage the clock/timing/operations in a 1x game. I'm asking for such advice because I've recently started two 1x games, and I feel completely out of my element in them.

      Okay, so here's my first question about 1x (in this thread, I've asked other 1x questions elsewhere in the past):

      How/when do you log into your countries? Do you set alarms so that you know to log in for certain actions/destinations? Do you just kind of have a general timing of things in mind? Do you just pick certain routine points throughout the day to check in on things and just deal with things as you see them (i.e. you log in like after lunch, when you get home from work, before bed, etc., not necessarily based on game events?)?

      If you can, just try to give me a general idea of how/when you take/make time to manage the operations of your nations.
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

      Hello All,

      As many of you know, I almost NEVER play 1x. To me, it is not only painfully slow, but also so extended that I have a hard time with the timing/planning of an effective strategy.

      In this thread, I would ask that we not debate the benefits/drawbacks of 1x and 4x speeds. We've done that in multiple other threads, and we don't need to do it again here.

      Instead, I'm asking experienced 1x players for advice on how they manage the clock/timing/operations in a 1x game. I'm asking for such advice because I've recently started two 1x games, and I feel completely out of my element in them.

      Okay, so here's my first question about 1x (in this thread, I've asked other 1x questions elsewhere in the past):

      How/when do you log into your countries? Do you set alarms so that you know to log in for certain actions/destinations? Do you just kind of have a general timing of things in mind? Do you just pick certain routine points throughout the day to check in on things and just deal with things as you see them (i.e. you log in like after lunch, when you get home from work, before bed, etc., not necessarily based on game events?)?

      If you can, just try to give me a general idea of how/when you take/make time to manage the operations of your nations.
      1) Use the delay feature: Many times i see people not using it and going to sleep and then losing their units in battle because they were not there to manage it.
      2) Never leave artillery unattended: Many times players will leave their artillery unattended and then come back to find that their artillery has deleted the city from the world map or some random recon division has destroyed their artillery. So, only perform artillery bombardment if you are going to be able to check at least once after 5-6 hours.
      3) Create buffer zones: When you have captured a city send ONE fastest unit to capture 4-5 surrounding provinces if the enemy attacks then he will have to travel through those provinces and will suffer speed penalty slowing him down. Especially useful when you wake up to find him struggling through mountain terrain and then you can quickly call reinforcements.
      4) Send units to fastest route to your cities: The game always picks the fastest route to your destination so in case of invasion identify the fastest route to your cities and send your units there and build combat outpost. This means less fighting done in your cities so less collateral damage is done during action.
      These are some simple tips I follow because i check in only 2 or if I have free time on my hands then times 3 times a day.
      Declaring war isn't enough, one must also know how to wage war.
      Lost battles can be summed up in two words: TOO LATE

      The post was edited 1 time, last by blue44elephant ().

    • PerigeeNil wrote:

      How/when do you log into your countries? Do you set alarms so that you know to log in for certain actions/destinations? Do you just kind of have a general timing of things in mind? Do you just pick certain routine points throughout the day to check in on things and just deal with things as you see them (i.e. you log in like after lunch, when you get home from work, before bed, etc., not necessarily based on game events?)?
      well im pretty much online all the time :D

      but how often i check a game really depends on how dire the situation is
      if it's just cleaning up maybe one or two times per day; not really active
      if im actually fighting i have it open in the background all the time and check every now and then
      but there isnt really any need to be extremly active unless you're playing ranged vs ranged

      tbh i dont think you need to be as active as in a 4x game because just parking your artillery behind a mountain range will already keep them save for like half a day^^


      but lets reverse the question:
      How do you deal with that stuff in 4x? Seeing how 6 hours of sleep already equal one ingame day the progress enemies make while you're asleep can be enourmous
      I am the basline for opinions
    • Agree with Teburu ... everything you just said would be 4 x harder on 4 x.. maybe its just ADD. But in general I play 1 day at a time and checking in depends on what builds / researches have going on. Dont neeed reminders as not playing 10 games at a time.

      But in general I dont go trying to bite off too big off chunks at a time and avoid getting into big active battle if not going to be on. So stage all troops ; planes; ships where need to be then when ready launch a decisive attack tacking out homeland cities first. And assualt usually starts with wiping out any coastal cities first and Airstriking cities inland. This generally breaks their will and if nothing else I just need to fight what he has and dont have to worry about reinforcements for a while.

      Will hit the cities that appear to pose the greatest threat based on buildings. Like if see a NAvy 3 /4 or Airbase 4 they are getting hit first. Especially Airbases as dont wont any reinforcements flying back.

      Once secure and just taking occupied territory I clear the field with Air and clean up via land troops. but I just expand the front as even as possible to avoid getting flanked. Bigger the potential threats in area the more cautios go (its a marathon not a sprint). dont get into the me sending a big push then get pushed back..etc. I am only taking what I feel I can hold and have cover by Sea and/or Air. If dont acquire an Airbase will build and wait a bit while troops heal in cities.

      So in general:

      1. Clear battlefield / front and advancing area as far as pssible with Air.

      2. Front line troops with decent Inf / light armor stacks (not really fighting to conquer but strength of counter attack). Keep these guys here in cities 1st day .. at midnight start next section of assualts. Usually taking 3 - 6 cities per day.

      3. Second wave is mostly NG only and behind 1st wave by one days cities conquered. ie - sitting on cities behind the front till get 34 pct.

      Rinse and repeat.
    • Alright, first, I want to sincerely thank everyone who has answered so far. I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I'm going to go ahead and respond to each response both the continue the conversation and to let everyone know that I'm giving consideration to their answers.


      blue44elephant wrote:

      1) Use the delay feature: Many times i see people not using it and going to sleep and then losing their units in battle because they were not there to manage it.
      2) Never leave artillery unattended: Many times players will leave their artillery unattended and then come back to find that their artillery has deleted the city from the world map or some random recon division has destroyed their artillery. So, only perform artillery bombardment only if you are going to be able to check at least once after 5-6 hours.
      3) Create buffer zones: When you have captured a city send ONE fastest unit to capture 4-5 surrounding provinces if the enemy attacks then he will have to travel through those provinces and will suffer speed penalty slowing him down. Especially useful when you wake up to find him struggling through mountain terrain and then you can quickly call reinforcements.
      4) Send units to fastest route to your cities: The game always picks the fastest route to your destination so in case of invasion identify the fastest route to your cities and send your units there and build combat outpost. This means less fighting done in your cities so less collateral damage is done during action.
      These are some simple tips I follow because i check in only 2 or if I have free time on my hands then times 3 times a day.
      1. Perfect, thanks. I do use the delay feature regularly, but not in exactly this way. This is a good tip; thanks.
      2. Right, I think that's pretty much the same between speeds, but you're right that people often make this mistake.
      3. This is something I already routinely do, but (again, you're right) a lot of people don't do. I'll continue doing this as it's part of my normal habit anyway.
      4. Same response as #3, EXCEPT... I prefer to fight in cities, unless I have a specific terrain advantage. Let's discuss this. What's the downside to fighting in cities? I do it for the entrenchment bonus. Are you talking about cities where I have buildings that can take collateral damage or ANY cities? If you're talking about the building/morale damage, then I get what you're saying.

      And it sounds like your answer to my main question (how often and when do you log in) is 2-3 times per day normally. Thank you!



      Teburu wrote:

      but how often i check a game really depends on how dire the situation is
      if it's just cleaning up maybe one or two times per day; not really active
      if im actually fighting i have it open in the background all the time and check every now and then
      but there isnt really any need to be extremly active unless you're playing ranged vs ranged
      That makes sense. I guess I meant when you're not aware that there's anything actively going on. Sounds like you're saying maybe a couple of times per day for you too.



      Teburu wrote:

      but lets reverse the question:
      How do you deal with that stuff in 4x? Seeing how 6 hours of sleep already equal one ingame day the progress enemies make while you're asleep can be enourmous
      Ah, right, so I maybe should have included that for perspective/reference so people knew what I was asking/looking for. Alright, so, I'm self-employed, and my work isn't the kind of thing that I have to do continuously for 8 hours without distraction. So, when I'm playing a 4x game and if I'm not doing anything else besides working during the day, if nothing's going on in the game, I can check in every half hour or 40 minutes or so really quickly to see if there's anything going on. That translates to checking in like every two or three game hours.

      When I AM trying to do something (let's say an assault on an enemy country) in the game, I can set aside 30 minutes, an hour, more, etc. during lunch, while I'm watching TV at night, or whatever, and knock it out. Let's say I'm binging some Netflix for three hours; that's 12 hours of gametime in which I can carry out an entire operation and never be afk (besides like a short bathroom break or whatever).

      When it's bedtime is approaching, and I know i'm not going to be on for at least an entire gameday, I pack it all in. Recall my units to rest them, make sure I don't have anything vulnerable sitting out in the open undefended, redistribute my troops to where I want them to set up for the next few game days, etc. If I start doing that 30 minutes to an hour before going to bed, that gives them 2 hours to 4 hours of travel time before I log out for the night for good.

      Now let's say I log in expecting nothing to happen, but I see something unexpected is happening. If I have real life time to deal with it, I'll sit down and do so. But, that happens four times more quickly in 4x. So, let's say I'm getting ready to go to bed and right before I log off someone starts trying to invade my homeland. Let's say (just hypothetically) their attack would last 4 game hours. Sure, I might be able to stay up an extra real life hour to deal with that. If I'm playing 1x, though, I don't want to stay up and extra FOUR hours, so... I guess I'd go to bed while being attacked.

      Again, though, I don't want to get into a discussion about whether 1x or 4x is better. So, let me change gears to direct it back to my original question. Today, for instance, I was consolidating some of my initial troops in a single location so that I could send them on an attack later. I don't remember the exact travel time, but let's say it was 8 hours. In 4x, on a normal day, I might check in on that movement two times or so, just to make sure they're getting to where they are going without any problem. So, maybe like once every real 45 minutes. However, if I did that in 1x, my troops would have barely moved in that 45 minutes. So, I guess I should do it proportionately? Check in every 3 hours or so? That seems like so much time for bad stuff to happen, but I guess I just have to keep reminding myself that in 1x it is not.

      Buckeyechamp wrote:

      But in general I dont go trying to bite off too big off chunks at a time and avoid getting into big active battle if not going to be on.
      Okay, I'm glad you brought that up, because that's going to be the next issue I ask about. See my next post under this thread.



      Buckeyechamp wrote:

      So stage all troops ; planes; ships where need to be then when ready launch a decisive attack
      Okay, so this SOUNDS LIKE (if Im understanding it correctly) something I would not do in 4x. Are you talking about parking my troops outside of a future attack area and logging off for like the night?
    • Above, Buckeye provided a good segue to Question #2 (although, now that I think about it, he never did answer how often he logs in):

      What do you guys do about timing attacks?

      I never seem to get a straight answer to this. I always just get defensiveness and accusations about how 4x folks don't sleep. Seriously, though, set the defensiveness and "my preferred speed is better than your preferred speed" competition aside and try to just consider what I'm asking. I'll provide some details for clarification.

      We all know that 1x folks only need to sleep for 6 to 8 game hours at a time, while 4x folks have to sleep for at least an entire game day at a time. Okay, so let's accept that as a normal given. Now... the difference is that 1x guys have to sleep for 6 to 8 game hours during *every game day* while 4x guys have to sleep for one 24-32 hour period every four game days. RIght? Okay. Stay with me. What DOESN'T change between the different speeds (that I know of) is the amount of GAME TIME in-game actions/travel take. However, any in-game action take 4 times longer in REAL TIME when playing 1x. Right? Are we still on the same page? So... I'm going to try asking this again, because when I have in the past, I've never gotten a clear answer:

      Currently I'm playing a 1x game. Let's say I want to perform an assault on an enemy that's going to take me a total of 12 game time hours to complete when travel, the actual battle, and regrouping are figured in. Because it's a 1x game, that means it's also going to take 12 REAL HOURS, right? So, I really only have two options, don't I? I have to either start that operation early in the day so that I can check on it as it transpires, OR I have to let it play out while I'm AFK for a long period of time. Right?

      Now, for those of you asking, "Isn't that the same in 4x too?" No, not necessarily, because 12 game time hours in 4 x is only three real time hours. So, I can start it at 6pm and be done with it by 9pm, checking on it however often I want in the meantime. In 4x, you can conclude almost anything in the course of a real day because it's like three game days.

      And that kind of leads in to Question #3:

      In 1x, do you guys not actively watch action/battles happen? In 4x, I watch a lot of my battles AS they happen. The battle itself is going to take 6 hours? No problem. I can let the game continuously run on my lap or on an end table for an hour and a half of real time while I watch a movie. SIX REAL HOURS, THOUGH? I DO NOT want to sit and continuously watch units attack once an hour for six real hours, and I'm guess you guys don't either. So,... you just log out while your battles are going on? What if unexpected enemy troops show up? Ya'll don't use Retreat ever? Do you not have aerial battles in which active continuous control is necessary? Are you logging in and out every so many minutes for hours? How's all that work?
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

      Buckeyechamp wrote:

      So stage all troops ; planes; ships where need to be then when ready launch a decisive attack
      Okay, so this SOUNDS LIKE (if Im understanding it correctly) something I would not do in 4x. Are you talking about parking my troops outside of a future attack area and logging off for like the night?
      Not necessary get there and park for 8 hrs but begin move into position and time so ready to direct them when active. Like in last game playing UK took France.... but had coast checked out and 95 pct certain clear so started moving troops offshore at 2 cities to the NW and have troops ready to hop across channel to the east. meanwhile get ships in position to soften ports ahead .. if feel confident in my navy and really pretty damn sure he didnt have anything nor any air that could hurt me ... ill let them bang on troops when offline. so when launch land assault hitting 3 ports and simultaneously taking out Paris airbase so just neutralized his only routes for counter act besides him looping all the way around Spain.

      In 1 X just think you need a more comprehensive plan of attack as chances of getting actively countered are 4 x as likely than in a 4 x game. ie - you catch someone offline in 4 x for 12 hrs thats 2 days and can take whole country... where 1 x it is more difficult to blindside and take a whole country by surprise.

      Not saying one or the other but imo 1 x you need to be a litte more deliberate; 4 x "can" be a little more aggresive/reckless when active (ie - make hey when the sunshining and active)
    • Ok... so a lot of details here and I hate having to write long posts, so I’ll answer sweet and concise.

      PerigeeNil wrote:

      Teburu wrote:

      but lets reverse the question:
      How do you deal with that stuff in 4x? Seeing how 6 hours of sleep already equal one ingame day the progress enemies make while you're asleep can be enourmous
      Ah, right, so I maybe should have included that for perspective/reference so people knew what I was asking/looking for. Alright, so, I'm self-employed, and my work isn't the kind of thing that I have to do continuously for 8 hours without distraction. So, when I'm playing a 4x game and if I'm not doing anything else besides working during the day, if nothing's going on in the game, I can check in every half hour or 40 minutes or so really quickly to see if there's anything going on. That translates to checking in like every two or three game hours.
      When I AM trying to do something (let's say an assault on an enemy country) in the game, I can set aside 30 minutes, an hour, more, etc. during lunch, while I'm watching TV at night, or whatever, and knock it out. Let's say I'm binging some Netflix for three hours; that's 12 hours of gametime in which I can carry out an entire operation and never be afk (besides like a short bathroom break or whatever).

      When it's bedtime is approaching, and I know i'm not going to be on for at least an entire gameday, I pack it all in. Recall my units to rest them, make sure I don't have anything vulnerable sitting out in the open undefended, redistribute my troops to where I want them to set up for the next few game days, etc. If I start doing that 30 minutes to an hour before going to bed, that gives them 2 hours to 4 hours of travel time before I log out for the night for good.

      Now let's say I log in expecting nothing to happen, but I see something unexpected is happening. If I have real life time to deal with it, I'll sit down and do so. But, that happens four times more quickly in 4x. So, let's say I'm getting ready to go to bed and right before I log off someone starts trying to invade my homeland. Let's say (just hypothetically) their attack would last 4 game hours. Sure, I might be able to stay up an extra real life hour to deal with that. If I'm playing 1x, though, I don't want to stay up and extra FOUR hours, so... I guess I'd go to bed while being attacked.

      Again, though, I don't want to get into a discussion about whether 1x or 4x is better. So, let me change gears to direct it back to my original question. Today, for instance, I was consolidating some of my initial troops in a single location so that I could send them on an attack later. I don't remember the exact travel time, but let's say it was 8 hours. In 4x, on a normal day, I might check in on that movement two times or so, just to make sure they're getting to where they are going without any problem. So, maybe like once every real 45 minutes. However, if I did that in 1x, my troops would have barely moved in that 45 minutes. So, I guess I should do it proportionately? Check in every 3 hours or so? That seems like so much time for bad stuff to happen, but I guess I just have to keep reminding myself that in 1x it is not.

      Buckeyechamp wrote:

      But in general I dont go trying to bite off too big off chunks at a time and avoid getting into big active battle if not going to be on.
      Okay, I'm glad you brought that up, because that's going to be the next issue I ask about. See my next post under this thread.
      Actually, that’s what I do too :D
      I log in once every hour or so to check in and by then my troop would have snagged up at least one territory by then, often more. But that’s so slow! you say. That’s why I usually send multiple troops, so I can gobble up territory 4 times as fast. Good enough for you?

      Also in 1x there’s a lot more action taking place as it’s real time and more time for stuff to take place. In a battle I just fought for example, my 2 cruisers were fighting against 2 destroyers and 3 Frigates. I sent my other cruiser to help but then met with a Frig + Corvette stack and then a few missiles got involved. So that’s a lot of action in a relatively short period of time, though maybe not as much as 4x. 1x also gives you a lot more time to react, as the attacks only hit every 1 hour instead of 15 mins.

      So in general I just come in once an hour and I’m good ;)
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

      so started moving troops offshore
      Oh, yeah, see, I'll have to get used to that. I would NEVER leave troops sitting in the water while I was offline in 4x. It makes sense that you might need to sometimes in 1x, though.


      Buckeyechamp wrote:

      chances of getting activly coutered are 4 x as likely than in a 4 x game.
      Oh, see, I feel like it's the exact opposite. To ME, it seems like players are online MUCH more often in 4x than in 1x. Every 1x game I've ever been in (and I've only played FP like twice, so mostly WWIII 1x games) have seemed like ghost towns to me.

      That being said, I PREFER to be countered when I attack. I would much rather attack a player who's actively trying to counter than one who is offline and has left all of their units in a heavily defended position. Players who are making active decisions make mistakes. There are no mistakes to take advantage of when an offline players units are just sitting still in a well-defended city; your only option is to chip away at the stone and take the damage they deal back.

      Buckeyechamp wrote:

      you catch someone offline in 4 x for 12 hrs thats 2 days and can take whole country... where 1 x it is more difficult to blindside and take a whole country by surprise.
      Oh, yeah, see, I don't ever make an effort to catch someone AFK so I can blindside them. I mean, obviously it happens, but, like I said, I prefer to fight a player who's online and actively responding to what I'm doing.
    • guess you are missing the point action is extenuated both good and bad on 4 x. Difference betwen a normal poker tourney and a Turbo (blinds go up way faster) .....in traditional poker tourney can afford to lay back and be deliberate and better in long term and being overly active doesnt pay out in long game; where as a turbo game if you lay back to much you get blinded out. and the turbo you need to be more active/aggressive.

      And really dont think can play / plan an optimal game on 4 x(ie - no slack in builds / research) like I dont want to miss two days research; builds; mobs because I was off for 12 hrs. Its more a matter how much closer to optimal can you be by checking on stuff every 4 - 6 hrs
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

      And really dont think can play / plan an optimal game on 4 x(ie - no slack in builds / research) like I dont want to miss two days research; builds; mobs because I was off for 12 hrs. Its more a matter how much closer to optimal can you be by checking on stuff every 4 - 6 hrs

      Right, it would be hard to maintain constant research on 4x because of off times and no option to queue. Buildings and units aren't a problem, though, because i queue those in both 1x and 4x.

      Other than that, I think you're getting wrapped up in "this one is better/that one is better" again. I'm simply trying to figure out how 1x players normally go about some things, because I'm not used to playing 1x, and I'm trying to learn. It's essentially the same game, it's just that some adjustments have to be made for the difference in game time/real time ratios, and I'm trying to figure out what those adjustments need to be. I made the comparisons because Teburu asked what I do in 4x and because I was trying to explain why I had questions.

      For instance, I started a 1x game with 737373 last night, and I went through the whole day today without really doing anything in that game besides checking on it. Now I'm getting ready to go to bed right when my units are arriving in position to attack. That's something that's going to take some adjusting for me to get comfortable with.
    • "Instead, I'm asking experienced 1x players for advice on how they manage the clock/timing/operations in a 1x game. I'm asking for such advice because I've recently started two 1x games, and I feel completely out of my element in them."

      Simple. The 1X implies one round per hour, which allows you to set up your night alarms to the rythm of one per hour (or one per 1h02 if you are paranoïd) in order to accomodate efficiently your sleep with the continued fight. It's way more comfortable than X4 where you need to be sleepless until decisive, and that can be 72 hours straight without naps > to 10 minutes (15 minutes cooldown...). It's a similar rythm to challenges, so you can carry on for a week without a lot of training. In other words, it's easy mode for our physical resistance, a thing for us old guys that can't handle as much as 10 years ago :D

      I will not even put in the balance that sleepless for 72 hours straight vs night divided in good naps is better for the mind, and you break less easily.

      In summary, just take your X4 activity schedule, multiply by 4 the length of your battle naps, and it will be fine :D


      PS : My memories from 4X may be a bit biased. The only experience i have from them are the Able Archer 4X from earlier days, that a bunch of competitive players tested together. I played only one public 4X and disliked it, due to the fact i'm physically unable to be as active as this map requires to be played to modest level. I was lucky to be on a map filled with beginners that often logged only once per 3 or 4 hours.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • By the way just wanted to tell you that both provinces and cities provide entrenchment but bunker takes 9 hours to build and outpost 1 hour to build so i prefer to fight in provinces. A decisive battle defines the outcome of objective being fought over. So its not possible to identify a decisive victory until the objective has been achieved or has been failed to achieve so the only battle you will fight is a major battle in which both belligerents will fight over a secondary objective to either
      A) Defender: Counter-attack
      Attackers: fight 3:1 ratio battles
      B) Defender: Withdrawal
      Attacker: Attrition
      of course, there are more combinations but you won't need it as they depend on logistics and supplies and these don't apply to the game but its good to know the above so you know what your opponent is trying to do.
      EDIT: the reason you shouldn't fight in cities is because mechanized armies have a tough time. So your main battle tank youteasure so much because you spent so much time on it and you are the first to have it in the region or maybe the whole server will get deleted by 2 or 3 mechanized infantry or marines. Sorry, I wasn't clear enough.
      Declaring war isn't enough, one must also know how to wage war.
      Lost battles can be summed up in two words: TOO LATE

      The post was edited 2 times, last by blue44elephant ().

    • You don't have to build a bunker in a city to get the entrenchment bonus, though. I don't build bunkers in every city. In fact, in a game I almost never build more than 3 total. And then, it's usually to help protect buildings as well as troops.

      Cities give an entrenchment bonus on their own, and you don't have to spend any resources to get it. Also, I don't always use mechanized infantry. In fact, I probably use them less than a quarter of a time. Marines, National Guard, and Motor Infantry all get a defensive bonus in cities IN ADDITION to the entrenchment bonus. I also almost never use Main Battle Tanks, so they're not really a factor for me.
    • I think those people are just willing to pay the additional cost for more health/firepower per unit. They also fight better on the terrain "Open Ground". I would never suggest building Army Base Level 2 and going straight to MBTs in early game, but if it's late game and you have more resources than you can use, why not go for slightly more health and firepower?
    • PerigeeNil wrote:

      Buckeyechamp wrote:

      Other than that, I think you're getting wrapped up in "this one is better/that one is better" again. I'm simply trying to figure out how 1x players normally go about some things, because I'm not used to playing 1x, and I'm trying to learn. It's essentially the same game, it's just that some adjustments have to be made for the difference in game time/real time ratios, and I'm trying to figure out what those adjustments need to be. I made the comparisons because Teburu asked what I do in 4x and because I was trying to explain why I had questions.






      On the contrary if someone really wanted advice they would listen to advice and not try to counter point that advice.


      Its kind of a crazy premise you are asking really .... like asking how people use strategy/plan on regular chess because I only play speed chess. Same principles apply only in a compressed timeline and if you dont know how to play normal chess than speed chess isnt ging to work either. So the answer is just play the same way or dont play 1 x i guess.
    • I don't know what to tell you, Buck. I've explained multiple times that the time ratio makes a difference when you factor in real life events like sleep, etc. I've also given examples of how/when that could be a factor.

      Yes, the faster GAME PLAY can be compared IN CERTAIN WAYS to timed Chess or to Speed Poker, but in those games, your opponent doesn't get to make multiple plays that are advantageous to them and disadvantageous to you for hours while you're sleeping or away. I haven't been just asking "Well, how do you build a unit when it takes 24 real hours instead of 6 real hours?" Obviously, in that case, it's JUST compressed/expanded time. I've been asking about situations in which the variable are MORE than just compressed time (i.e. sleep happening once every game day instead of once every four game days).

      "On the contrary if someone really wanted advice they would listen to advice and not try to counter point that advice."

      A) I probably know what I want better than you know what I want, since I'm actually me; B) Who says I'm not listening? I've taken into consideration every single thing that's been said in this thread; C) not all advice in the world is good. If I ask for someone for advice on the best way to approach an untamed/unbroken horse and they tell me to be really loud and make a lot of sudden movements, then, yes, I'm going to counter/oppose that advice, because it is not effective. That doesn't mean I never really wanted good advice, though.

      Question #1 was "How often/when do 1x folks log on?" The answers that I got seemed to be 2 or 3 times per day if nothing urgent is happening. (That's not the same as how I play 4x)

      Question #2 was 'What do you do about timing attacks?" The answer(s) that I got seemed to be that you stage/move into position first (like overnight) and wait for a period of time until you have time to be online and conduct the attack. (That's not the same as how I play 4x.)

      Question #3 was "Don't you guys watch battles as they happen?" The answer(s) I got seemed to be that 1x players may check in on them, but don't necessarily watch them all continuously. (That's different than how I play 4x.)

      So, no, Buckeyechamp, it is NOT the same way that I play 4x but slower.

      You really need to stop getting so aggitated with simple discussion. You're always so hostile and adversarial. Not everything is some "I'm better than you" screaming match, and it's okay for people to question the validity of things that are said or to ask for additional clarification/explanation. Asking for advice doesn't mean I just read whatever answers come in and unconditionally accept them at face value.

      If I ask for advice on the best way to beat submarines and someone tells me to attack them with a Frigate, I'm going to say, "Really? Because Frigates don't look like the strongest unit against submarines." If they tell me to strafe them with ASF, I'm going to say "I don't think ASF can target submarines for strafing attacks." That's not me not listening to the advice or not wanting advice. That's me pointing out that there were flaws in the advice I was given.