Defense Against Desperation Morale Attacks

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Defense Against Desperation Morale Attacks

Hey, folks.

We spend the whole game preparing to attack and defend against military attacks from our opponents. We're aware of normal insurgencies and spy actions, and we do what we can to take precautions against them. Sometimes, though, your opponent goes all out to cause you morale problems, either to keep you from reaching the required number of VPs or just because their feelings are hurt that you beat them.

Here are two examples:

1. Using spies to reduce morale in undefended cities. I've done this myself. You probably see it most clearly toward the very end of the game, especially if people are trying to keep one country from getting a solo win. If you're getting up toward 1600 VPs, you've probably got quite a collection of cities, and chances are you don't have troops in all of them. In fact, if you're like most people, you've probably left entire nations/regions without any troops in them. By using spies to reduce the morale in those cities, the enemy can put those cities back down below 35% morale so that cities you haven't even though about in 20 game days now start having Rogue attacks again.

2. The crazy pants-on-fire rabbit run - Some enemies know they they are beat and give up before they're completely beat. They don't think they're giving up, but they're also not trying to stay in the game. All they want at this point is to bother you. So,... they gather up whatever remaining units you have, head to a large area that doesn't matter strategically, and run through all your undefended cities there. They don't claim any of them, because, again, they aren't interested in their own game any longer. They just turn the cities over so that the morale drops and insurgency can possibly spring up again. Now you have to spend time, troops, and resources going back over to that area and getting everything settled down.

Now, ideally, of course, the best defense against all of these things would be to always maintain a substantial defensive force in every city you ever conquer. Let's be real, though; how often does that happen (unless I'm always doing it wrong)? So, does anyone have any other tricks for dealing with these two annoyances? Or, are they just unavoidable inconveniences that come with winning a game?
    • they really can't mass produce you below 34 pct actually without spending gold... you could put spies in to keep someone below 34 pct but cant really knock them down.

Example : city at 35 pct .. you put spy to reduce in corruption gets you - 5 pct but i get +5 pct for day its a wash. Ive tried this... and best case is to hold that person in place. ie - keep them at 25 - 30 pct and at risk of insurgents but after insurgent proof doesnt work. like said ive tried this with stcking 3 spies in a 35 pct city and it just keeps it steady state

2nd one if you let that happen thats on you as didnt have beat.

3rd.....Never have troops in cities at 34 pct or above.

So 1st not really an issue if you get above 34 pct; 2nd finish your opponent and if you haven't and prepare for expect a counter attack
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • tbh i never really worry about that
      primary objective is defeating enemy units; occupied land/cities arent really that important and can be dealt with at any given point if really that troublesome; insurgents being fairly passive also helps that approach
      the biggest threat are enemy players ^^

PerigeeNil wrote:

1. Using spies to reduce morale in undefended cities. I've done this myself. You probably see it most clearly toward the very end of the game, especially if people are trying to keep one country from getting a solo win. If you're getting up toward 1600 VPs, you've probably got quite a collection of cities, and chances are you don't have troops in all of them. In fact, if you're like most people, you've probably left entire nations/regions without any troops in them. By using spies to reduce the morale in those cities, the enemy can put those cities back down below 35% morale so that cities you haven't even though about in 20 game days now start having Rogue attacks again.
      dont really see that as really effective just a single sabotage spy will already cost you 4k/day and
      1. placing them near the frontlines where the morale is fairly "low" due to distance and other modifiers (maybe trouble getting past that 34% / keeping it) seems rather ineffective because you got troops fairly close so even if they pop insurgents it doesnt really have any effect as they'll probably be killed pretty fast
      2. placing them in cities that have been under your control seems even more ineffective as it'd probably take multiple days for them to rebel
      and moving in aircraft/inf via nearby airfields is fairly quick

PerigeeNil wrote:

2. The crazy pants-on-fire rabbit run - Some enemies know they they are beat and give up before they're completely beat. They don't think they're giving up, but they're also not trying to stay in the game. All they want at this point is to bother you. So,... they gather up whatever remaining units you have, head to a large area that doesn't matter strategically, and run through all your undefended cities there. They don't claim any of them, because, again, they aren't interested in their own game any longer. They just turn the cities over so that the morale drops and insurgency can possibly spring up again. Now you have to spend time, troops, and resources going back over to that area and getting everything settled down.
      - well these cities matter as getting rid of them will also reduce your ressourceproduction
      - radar/awacs are your friend
      - navy is also your friend; these attacks usually occur via some sneaky naval route (cuz you should be monitoring your frontlines?)
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • You do not considerable defence force everywhere.

A small airforce can deal easily with such suicide attacks and with airports you can always ferry in infantry quickly.

Getting core cities down without gold is pretty hard, after all you can only have 3 hostile spies there.

If you don't realise what is happening for days though, that is on you.

Morale loss by itself does not affect VP however.