Countering mechanized infantry?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I used TA when they did not need to disembark to fire. They were fun back then, outplaying your typical tank/inf stromtrooper with jumping around, while he fails to catch up with you.

But good luck trying that, while you have to wait for a complete disembark every time. Flight + Disembark will always exceed one hour, so your APH (attack per hour) will drop automatically below 1 against moving targets.

Outrunning a stack of mechs on foot on the other hand might prove quite difficult and having pure stack of 10 TA of course offers huge weaknesses against any kind of airunits

Gunships get damage back if they attack yes, but they beefy and heal quickly. They also fly faster than air assaulting TA if I am not mistaken (can't recall air assault move speed).

Also if the air field is close enough, gunshisps can easily have a APH of factor 2 and higher

The post was edited 1 time, last by Kalrakh ().

• WalterChang wrote:

Their advantage over Gunships is that they can deal damage without receiving it; they can avoid AA while in helicopter mode and still get into range for a shot. Because they are ground units, you can use them in stacks of 10 rather than 5 without efficiency penalties, which actually gives them more potential damage value per stack, plus they're better against hard targets anyway. And they're a little bit cheaper.

Their advantage over MRLs is mostly down to the air assault capability. You can put them down wherever you want within a 400 distance radius. That doesn't have to be exactly where you want them to shoot from: you can disembark them a bit farther away, perhaps to avoid detection and/or counter bombardment, then move them into position to fire, then fly them away again before your opponent can respond. They're a heck of a lot cheaper than MRLs, too, and they only require a L2 Army Base, so you can generally afford to build them in multiple cities at once, field much more of them at a time and replace losses faster. Quantity over quality sometimes wins out.

I'm not trying to argue that TA is better than MRLs or Gunships. Only that they have some unique abilities that can be utilized to your advantage. There's nothing stopping you from having TAs and Gunships (I find this combination quite complimentary, in fact) or TA and MRLs. I just disagree with the idea that the emergence of MRLs in a game suddenly renders TA obsolete, any more than it renders obsolete other ground units that have different roles.
      I think, that TAs do not become so much "obsolete" as "non cost effective".
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • WalterChang wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I think, that TAs do not become so much "obsolete" as "non cost effective".
      Possibly. To be honest, by the time MRLs come along, I've probably built all the TAs I'm going to, except perhaps replacements for ones that get lost.
      And cost effective depends a lot on what it is you're up against.
      Well, I guess what I mean is that once you have MRLs, they don't give you the best bang for the buck in building more
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD