Barricades

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Pafufu wrote:

However it would have to be akin to WMDs due to the horrific civilian casualties caused and the fact that you’d be violating international law.
      Edit: And therefore have the morale penalties of them.
      not true. only a few countries signed onto that treaty. many more didnt, US for example didnt, and we still use them.

I wouldnt do a moral penelty but a manpower penelty
      18 Years US Army Infantry. experience ranging from door kicking to strategic level. 4 combat tours.
    • The general populace would still be disgusted by them, and that’s what counts. And yes, the U.S didn’t sign the treaty, but the U.N abhors them so what would end up being reported is (blank) violates international law.

The pointed-stick traps of Vietnam got banned and the war itself got ended due to the morale of the general populace. It is not the technicalities that count, but the spirit.
    • We use millions of landmines along the DMZ in korea, both the american public and south korean public could care less. If mine fields are used for defensive nature to protect you from the bad guys the public would not care, they only care about being safe. Punji pits had zero effect on our involvement in the vietnam war (they also are not band under the hauge, geniva, or common laws of war). The american public didnt like the war and lost public support becouse the nation as going through a time of social change that was happaning due to factors outside the vietnam war. If u asked the average protester at the time if they herd of punji pits they would of said no and then make some comment about american soldier shooting kids or something.
      18 Years US Army Infantry. experience ranging from door kicking to strategic level. 4 combat tours.
    • Reporters would show the bloodied bodies of children and other civilians. On the comment on soldiers shooting kids, that’s what I meant; the general populace rejected war crimes.

They don’t care about the mines now, but they would if they saw civilians dying to them.

Contradictions and specifications on emotion don’t count. It’s emotion, not logic, and you prove my point with the protesters. The fact that they were there proves my point, morale was lowered due to the war and culminated in unrest.

Very good point on defensive use, though. Maybe the morale penalities could be lower on homeland soil.

Finally,

unog.ch/80256EDD006B8954/(http…3E/$file/APLC+English.pdf
    • The way i would work minefields in game

-Province construction
      Cost- 4 Conventional war heads

effect- 1 hp damage per hour for soft targets
      .5 hp damage per hour for hard targets
      speed is reduced to .10

Penelty- reduction of manpower and money from providence by 50%

counter- Once territory is taken is taken after 12 hours speed is returned to normal, but damage remains (simulates creating paths through mine fields, but people do wonder off). after 24 hours mines are removed.

Mine detectors or antimine vehicles can be used to negate mine damage, but not speed restrictions (they detect mines, but still takes time to clear them and make safe passages). if a mine vehicle is stationed in the province it cuts the clearing of fields time in half
    • Pafufu wrote:

Reporters would show the bloodied bodies of children and other civilians. On the comment on soldiers shooting kids, that’s what I meant; the general populace rejected war crimes.

They don’t care about the mines now, but they would if they saw civilians dying to them.

Contradictions and specifications on emotion don’t count. It’s emotion, not logic, and you prove my point with the protesters. The fact that they were there proves my point, morale was lowered due to the war and culminated in unrest.

Very good point on defensive use, though. Maybe the morale penalities could be lower on homeland soil.

Finally,

Kids realy were not being gunned down, it was just a missconception and irrational thought they had.

I spent many years all over the world in countries with huge landmine problems. And honestly it didnt effect the locals all that much. it was a part of life. they knew where they were and stayed away. Mine fields are defensive in nature and are marked or put in locations the locals know. It no diffrent then having a peace of land, lets say a lake that is very poluted and you know if you swim in it, you will get sick and die. You know where it is, everyone knows its bad, everyone stays away. it bothers nothing else. So ur moral is not realy affected, becouse it doesnt realy affect you. Once in while someone decides to go swimming in the lake and dies, is your moral shot? No, u just say, the guy was a dumb ass, he should of known better.
    • bluewarrior 6 wrote:

Pafufu wrote:

Reporters would show the bloodied bodies of children and other civilians. On the comment on soldiers shooting kids, that’s what I meant; the general populace rejected war crimes.

Finally,

Kids realy were not being gunned down, it was just a missconception and irrational thought they had.

It doesn’t matter. Emotion not logic.
    • bluewarrior 6 wrote:

Pafufu wrote:

Finally,

I spent many years all over the world in countries with huge landmine problems. And honestly it didnt effect the locals all that much. it was a part of life. they knew where they were and stayed away. Mine fields are defensive in nature and are marked or put in locations the locals know. It no diffrent then having a peace of land, lets say a lake that is very poluted and you know if you swim in it, you will get sick and die. You know where it is, everyone knows its bad, everyone stays away. it bothers nothing else. So ur moral is not realy affected, becouse it doesnt realy affect you. Once in while someone decides to go swimming in the lake and dies, is your moral shot? No, u just say, the guy was a dumb ass, he should of known better.
      There still are casualties, so perhaps just a small morale penalty.

You bring up a good point, but there should still be some penalty.
    • bluewarrior 6 wrote:

The way i would work minefields in game

-Province construction
      Cost- 4 Conventional war heads

effect- 1 hp damage per hour for soft targets
      .5 hp damage per hour for hard targets
      speed is reduced to .10

Penelty- reduction of manpower and money from providence by 50%

counter- Once territory is taken is taken after 12 hours speed is returned to normal, but damage remains (simulates creating paths through mine fields, but people do wonder off). after 24 hours mines are removed.

Mine detectors or antimine vehicles can be used to negate mine damage, but not speed restrictions (they detect mines, but still takes time to clear them and make safe passages). if a mine vehicle is stationed in the province it cuts the clearing of fields time in half
      Maybe also add naval mines?
    • bluewarrior 6 wrote:

also that UN link, US among Russia and most other major powers refused to sign that.
      Yeah, the coward generals are ready to cause collateral damage for the sake of reducing casualties without realizing about the long-term devastating effects on them and their men. Their doctrines if I remember, revolved around less casualties but I am not sure about Russia.
      Declaring war isn't enough, one must also know how to wage war.
      Lost battles can be summed up in two words: TOO LATE