Stealth Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• In all seriousness though, currently I’m developing stealth bombers. Due to their exorbitant cost and ability to be countered by lowly SAMs, I had never done this before, but I’m going to give it a shot. We’ll see how it goes!

I generally see stealth units as overly expensive in early game and hard to properly use, but I know they can be incredibly effective. I don’t like S-ASF or S-SF very much, since I feel they are unnecessarily expensive and their role can be performed by normal units. The only stealth units that I have confirmed are effective and plausible for me are Elite helis, special forces and the special subs. Even then, I think special forces are highly specialized and really not good at anything except special missions. I guess that’s in their name though!

Conclusion: I don’t really ADORE stealth units, but they definitely have a role and can be very effective. However, they cannot make up your main strategy and have a specific niche that you use them for and nothing else.

The post was edited 2 times, last by Pafufu ().

• So, I normally don’t use stealth units. Then I played a game as France vs a coalition of India and China. In that game, I used spec-ops primary in their real-life role primarily for RSTA and COIN. It worked excellently, although I did have a close call where they were almost directly engaged by an enemy’s unit that they air-assaulted over. I can confirm elite helis and spec-ops as being excellent, although elite subs don’t really work with my playstyle. I recommend using spec-ops primarily in the RSTA and COIN roles assisted by radars and air support to strike detected enemies before they realize your presence. If the existence of your spec-ops is discovered or you have enemy aircraft in need of immediate destruction that cannot be ideally executed with another platform, then you can execute direct action attacks with your spec-ops independently or with Tank Destroyers.
    • Stratieon wrote:

So, I normally don’t use stealth units. Then I played a game as France vs a coalition of India and China. In that game, I used spec-ops primary in their real-life role primarily for RSTA and COIN. It worked excellently, although I did have a close call where they were almost directly engaged by an enemy’s unit that they air-assaulted over. I can confirm elite helis and spec-ops as being excellent, although elite subs don’t really work with my playstyle. I recommend using spec-ops primarily in the RSTA and COIN roles assisted by radars and air support to strike detected enemies before they realize your presence. If the existence of your spec-ops is discovered or you have enemy aircraft in need of immediate destruction that cannot be ideally executed with another platform, then you can execute direct action attacks with your spec-ops independently or with Tank Destroyers.
      I've been thinking about trying the SAS units next. I'd imagine you could send them into an enemy homeland city and use them to do things such as; Sabotaging enemy grounded planes, taking out SAM's behind enemy lines. Will give them a go
    • I love me my S-ASF, they are gret to scout and scout even ships at my coast, because most people hardly level their AA.

Specs I used even before that, though in general only to scout, keep watch on enemie airports or figuring out what units the other side is using.
      Same goes for the new Elite Sub.

I also use Elite Choppers, but in general not as stealth units.
    • Pafufu wrote:

I dislike S-ASF, since it requires such a high-level airbase, but I can see how it might be helpful.
      S-ASF are the best (and one of the only) ways to counter enemy Stealth Air Units.

Additionally, with some units such as bombers it makes practical sense to opt for the Stealth variant. Trying to send regular bombers deep into enemy territory is almost always a suicide mission..

I think for the later stages of the game you should aim to have at least one type of optional Stealth unit. However the Elite Sub is necessary now if you want to be able to gain a visual on any enemy Elite Subs.

Add 1 Elite Sub to each Navy stack or you run the risk of bumping into an enemy stack of Elite Subs that you can't fire back on..

Again, you don't have to build Elite Subs but you are giving the enemy the option to destroy your entire Navy without having to worry about return fire.
    • Yes, I really like elite subs and helis. Their capability to wreck havoc in either coastal waters or close to airbases is especially useful in mid game. However, I have always disliked bombers, but I’m experimenting with the stealth variant in a current game. I agree with you that regular bombers are pretty useless for long range building destruction, which is the purpose I need from them.

Perhaps if I’m also building stealth bombers I might as well build S-ASF. But since I have never developed stealth bombers before (or faced them) currently that is not my path.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Pafufu ().