Mines & Mine-Sweeping Units

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Mines & Mine-Sweeping Units

I was just reading a suggestion about barricades, and then somebody suggested having land mines, and that lead me to think that this could be a very realistic addition to this game. I have been thinking quite some time about what types of military units are left to be employed by CoN, and I think that mines and minesweepers could be the next big thing.

This has been proposed before but not in as much depth, I think this narrowed down vision makes the idea much more realistic.

Land Mines:

Mines can be researched and upgraded such as missiles/rockets in game. Maybe they will even be listed in your assets count on the top next to your missiles, and spies could determine the number of mines you have. I think that you could either build mines statically through the non city building structures like field hospitals and combat outposts on terrain you control.

But perhaps even better there could be a system where you need an actual mine laying unit and just like a missile you can hit a button to "fire" or deploy the mine, with a certain amount of set up time, on any point in the terrain paths (not just the center most point where you can build field hospitals), and then the mine will have a certain radius outwards from that spot (possibly overlapping paths).

Upgrading mines would increase its radius as well as its strength. Additionally, it could be a good idea for mines to have a probability of not working if a unit passes over them, say 60% for basic mines and this probability increases with upgrade.

Maybe there can be certain types of mines, such as a very strong and condensed mine for a small path, or a large minefield covering larger swaths of terrain with a lower probability. I do not really quite know what good costs and resource demands of mines would be, but I imagine it would have to be quite expensive to prevent overuse, becoming more of a late game addition to your forces.

I do not know a great deal about mines, but I will expand upon this idea more once I hear some input, maybe create some example graphics, so please help me iron this idea out!

Minesweeping:

To counteract the whole landmine component, just like you have AA to stop missiles, you would need minesweeping units.

Right now based on my research I believe there would be 3 primary types of minesweeping units for these land mines:infantry minesweepers, armored mine sweepers, and drone minsweepers (for land mines), and these units would have a light multirole purpose capable of some basic combat (except a drone land mine sweeper which would probably be cheap and very weak).
      I would imagine the armored mindesweeper has good health, maybe does not move as fast but covers a much greater radius of mine sweeping (maybe capable of stopping some advanced mines the infantry minesweeper cannot). The infantry on the other hand would be more mobile and fast, and maybe can be deployed by helicopter.

Examples:
      694c8950f03d56ab92af8451c34061eb.jpggettyimages-615294594-612x612.jpg

I didn't follow a strict format here, but I think this idea is good, it honestly wasn't my original idea but I expanded upon it a lot, and I could see it being very possible. I also believe that using a similar system for sea mines can also be employed, with sea mine sweepers too, but that can be a separate suggestion.

To what extent do the armed forces of modern nations use land mines? I do not quite know, though they are certainly still prevalent in certain parts of the world, and minesweeper units are used by almost all nations.

Hope you guys like this idea!

The post was edited 2 times, last by JonDoe101 ().

• I like the idea of the mine laying unit more than it being a static structure like combat outposts, because that is a good mechanic for placing mines in the middle of pathways; might be a good idea to place them mid pathway to a combat outpost or city.

I think the stats could resemble those of the land based launchers, and if we are going off the whole missile mechanic, they become unlocked after research but don't really need an upgrade, just an army base with certain specification maybe an arms industry too.

After more research into mines, there are two main types; anti-personnel mines and anti-vehicle mines. Perhaps just how some units can already fire certain missiles, maybe some other units will have mine laying and even sweeping capacity. For example, maybe spec ops and the land officer can lay anti-personnel mines.

I don't really know what legacy code constraints are, and what is currently even operating legacy code. I Imagine there is a work around where mine functionality doesn't need to be built from the ground up, but can somehow copy artillery functionality in terms of code.
    • MrBookShelf wrote:

they told us that that have problem with mine because there is no feature in game to support it. (High work to do if want to implement) I suggest it can just be unmovable unit
      I think that having a static structure for mines like combat outposts is more realistic for the team to make, but I also believe that this whole mines concept could become a whole new facet of gameplay worth investing in, if people are interested, especially since I think we are close to a point where there aren't as many units or tactics left to be implemented.

Do you know where they said this regarding mines specifically. I was looking through the one earlier suggestion thread I found for mines, but I don't think I saw any developer comment about how it would be hard to implement landmines.

I am no skilled game coder but I would assume that the functionality of what I am describing can be based off a combination of existing mechanisms. For mine damage itself, it can function a lot like artillery does; anything that enters its radius will be hit. I think the whole deploying mechanic can be modeled off of launching missiles, but the new component would be leaving a mine in place of where the unit is. Minesweeping could also be modeled off the AA mechanism in intercepting missiles.

Maybe to the devs what I am saying is gibberish, but I assume they wouldn't need to reinvent the wheel on this.
    • First and foremost minefields are not something you play football on. They are passive defenses meaning they are used with other defenses like machine gun bunkers, entrenchments and barbed wire. Small arms fire and recoil less guns with interlocking ranges force the enemy into barbed wires, ditches and mines and forces enemy armor towards dragon's teeth and anti-tank ditches followed by their destruction. And I guess a combat outpost indicates such a fortification right? And mine sweeping machines don't detect plastic explosives or bounding mines but there might be a lucky instance where you discover it, and by the way who is going to research the mine sweeping units?
      Declaring war isn't enough, one must also know how to wage war.
      Lost battles can be summed up in two words: TOO LATE