Suggestions: unit/research strategy for Algeria (openning map)?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestions: unit/research strategy for Algeria (openning map)?

Hi! :)

I've started as Algeria and was fortunate enough to ally with Spain and Cuba, securing all but my eastern shores (Spain is subjugating Portugal as we speak). My questions going forward concern appropriate army composition: it seemed obvious enough that I would need a navy and, to that end, I've built level two naval bases in all my home port cities. I've researched corvettes but, because of their deep sea handicap, am waiting on completion of frigate research to begin producing ships (also because of their air defense). While I twiddle my thumbs and wait for frigates to be launched, I am debating overseas expansion strategy. Italy seems the obvious 'jump point' as it does not choke allied Spain's expansion and, especially if I develop an amphibious force, does not handicap me by my having to 'sea hop' to the Balkans (leaving more northern territory available for Spain). I presently have 1 recon, 1 motor inf', and 1 nat' guard in each of my five home plus two occupied cities (Morocco and Tunisia subjugated!), with an additional eight motor inf' in reserve. CRV, corvettes, and frigates are, so far, all I've researched. Going forward, it seems like amphib' combat vehicles would not be a terrible idea as small stacks could overwhelm city defenders and secure landing sites for more vulnerable motor inf' to arrive and hold against insurgency (ACVs continuing the expansion). Is this strategy sound? Would there additionally be room for air power in the mix or will the need to advance IFV in order to advance ACV, along with having to keep up frigate research, eat most of the research resources available to a non-gold player in a typical round?
    • You're doing great for a beginner player; or any player for that matter. A few things that could be changed:
      1. Corvettes and Frigates are fine, but don't build any many more corvettes once you get the Frigates rolling. There are other threads all about Frigate strategy if you want ;)
      2. CRVs are generally early-game, and as you progress furthur, their usefulness is limited. Switching them for AFVs and ACVs will be avery good idea. Generally, ACVs are best complemented with Marines, so it's going to be expensive, but a good stack will pay off. AFVs are good, definitely.
      3. Some people on the Forum says that Mot. Inf is useless compared to Mechanized, but others disagree. I thought I would let you know this. Mechanized is stronger but more expensive BTW.
      4. You absolutely need a strong air force to win this game. Without any air force, taking out enemies will be a million times harder, and you will lose troops a million times quicker as well. ASFs are (relatively) cheap Strike fighters early-game, Strike Fighters are your best bet though. Build a number and you can expect quick success :D

Well, that's my two cents there, good luck in your game :)
    • Actually if it is flashpoint map you probably don't need to invest so much in navy.
      One dedicated city is more than enough.
      Frigates are just fine as they can serve as your costal anti air.
      You need strong airforce as stated above.
      Only with navy you can't do the job in flashpoint map.
      So you build offensive composition on the ground with arty if you are not able to remain online presence or you build defansive composition with regular infrantry, tenk destroyers, some recon and anti air units but your punch are strike fighters. They clean, other troops are just to keep the cities in your hands.

So some asf and a lot of strike fighters. At least 2 dedicated cities for airforce. Only 1 for navy. 2 for ground troops. That's 5 cities. Algeria has 5 home cities? Don't remember.
      After couple of days let say 10 switch 1 ground to airforce production.

Btw regardless what they say here, you do need tank destroyers because they are great counter for those mbt/afv boys who are majority in the game .
    • Flashpoint?
      just build strikefighters; mix them later on with naval strikefighters so you have a mixed stack with more survivability
      might wanna have some air superiority fighters too to kill enemy aircraft

most of the time in flashpoint you will spend just cleaning up inactive countries

as for navy: 1 or 2 naval cities are more than enough; doesnt really matter what ship you build (except dont build corvettes) as long as you keep upgrading them for the range

groundunits are fairly weak on flashpoint because the game simply wont last enough for them to unfold their full potential
      --> armor units are trash; artillery/antiair/radar is pretty much the only "viable" combo of groundunits, but you'll need to be fairly active to make use of them
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Zemunelo wrote:

Actually if it is flashpoint map you probably don't need to invest so much in navy.
      One dedicated city is more than enough.
      Frigates are just fine as they can serve as your costal anti air.
      You need strong airforce as stated above.
      Only with navy you can't do the job in flashpoint map.
      So you build offensive composition on the ground with arty if you are not able to remain online presence or you build defansive composition with regular infrantry, tenk destroyers, some recon and anti air units but your punch are strike fighters. They clean, other troops are just to keep the cities in your hands.

So some asf and a lot of strike fighters. At least 2 dedicated cities for airforce. Only 1 for navy. 2 for ground troops. That's 5 cities. Algeria has 5 home cities? Don't remember.
      After couple of days let say 10 switch 1 ground to airforce production.

Btw regardless what they say here, you do need tank destroyers because they are great counter for those mbt/afv boys who are majority in the game .
      Yep, on the navy that’s what I meant.
    • 737373elj wrote:

You're doing great for a beginner player; or any player for that matter. A few things that could be changed:
      1. Corvettes and Frigates are fine, but don't build any many more corvettes once you get the Frigates rolling. There are other threads all about Frigate strategy if you want ;)
      2. CRVs are generally early-game, and as you progress furthur, their usefulness is limited. Switching them for AFVs and ACVs will be avery good idea. Generally, ACVs are best complemented with Marines, so it's going to be expensive, but a good stack will pay off. AFVs are good, definitely.
      3. Some people on the Forum says that Mot. Inf is useless compared to Mechanized, but others disagree. I thought I would let you know this. Mechanized is stronger but more expensive BTW.
      4. You absolutely need a strong air force to win this game. Without any air force, taking out enemies will be a million times harder, and you will lose troops a million times quicker as well. ASFs are (relatively) cheap Strike fighters early-game, Strike Fighters are your best bet though. Build a number and you can expect quick success :D

Well, that's my two cents there, good luck in your game :)
      Elj gives an excellent explanation. I’ll just add that with Algeria’s Eastern doctrine, you get buffs to motorized infantry research time so you can upgrade them more rapidly than other doctrines while lacking the significant doctrine buffs to European Mechanized Infantry. Therefore, I would highly recommend centering your infantry investments on motorized.