Anyone besides me annoyed by "Hey He's Making Chemical/Nuclear Weapons Over Here!!!" Announcements in the paper?

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • Anyone besides me annoyed by "Hey He's Making Chemical/Nuclear Weapons Over Here!!!" Announcements in the paper?

      I think it's really crappy that anyone starting a chemical weapons program or nuke program gets it announced in the Newspaper. A country could start researching chem weapons in a basement and think how sucessfully the Manhattan Project was kept under wraps. Now I fully support the announcement of when a Nuke program is COMPLETED, because likely that has to be verified by actually exploding a nuclear bomb, but initiation of these programs shouldn't be announced in the paper.

      Anyone else agree?
      *** Warning: This poster is on double secret probation ***

      "Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Germanico wrote:

      we deliberately have it there - to allow others to react. From a game perspective this is important and also realistic in a way - after all most/all nations working on WMDs get their whistle blown...
      Doesn't seem realistic to me having worked at Ft. Detrick, I'm very familiar with what can go on completely unknown to the world.
      *** Warning: This poster is on double secret probation ***

      "Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

      Germanico wrote:

      we deliberately have it there - to allow others to react. From a game perspective this is important and also realistic in a way - after all most/all nations working on WMDs get their whistle blown...
      Doesn't seem realistic to me having worked at Ft. Detrick, I'm very familiar with what can go on completely unknown to the world.
      Very good point.
      Perhaps instead of removing the newspaper whistle-blowing, there are counter-measures that can be taken to prevent it? For instance the homeland defense intelligence operatives.
    • Teburu wrote:

      well the point here is that ICBMs pose a significant thread because of their range and dmg ^^
      so a warning that someone is heading that direction is kinda needed
      Like I said, I think it's very realistic to announce completion of a nuke program, but not initiating one. And that it seems more "fair" shouldn't figure into it at all.
      *** Warning: This poster is on double secret probation ***

      "Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

      I think it's really crappy that anyone starting a chemical weapons program or nuke program gets it announced in the Newspaper. A country could start researching chem weapons in a basement and think how sucessfully the Manhattan Project was kept under wraps. Now I fully support the announcement of when a Nuke program is COMPLETED, because likely that has to be verified by actually exploding a nuclear bomb, but initiation of these programs shouldn't be announced in the paper.

      Anyone else agree?

      Dealer of Death wrote:

      Teburu wrote:

      well the point here is that ICBMs pose a significant thread because of their range and dmg ^^
      so a warning that someone is heading that direction is kinda needed
      Like I said, I think it's very realistic to announce completion of a nuke program, but not initiating one. And that it seems more "fair" shouldn't figure into it at all.
      I do agree. :evil:
      Have fun, nothing personal.
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

      737373elj wrote:

      They removed it a long time ago remember? to prevent thumbs down on features users don't like jkjk JK! Hey no it was a joke don't ban my--
      *bloop*
      Um, I was joking, I never knew there was one.
      If you look at some of Oceanhawk’s old, old posts, you can actually see negative reaction scores :D
      Also I got unbanned.
      There ain’t really much to contribute to this thread, because all the points have been said already, but I believe that the alert should be kept. Nuclear/chemical creation is really dangerous and should automatically be known so the players have time to react. Eg in some of my games, there was the alert in the newspaper, so my coalition immediately targeted him before it could go out of hand.
      It also makes sense realistically. No country has ever successfully kept their nuclear arsenal a secret. You need nuclear plants for nuclear weapons, and those are really obvious. Not even Israel denies it, everybody just knows they have nuclear weapons. Same with other countries like North Korea and etc.

      Edit: the ban was a joke.

      Edit 2: ok yes, the completion should give a notification, but not the initiation. cool?

      The post was edited 1 time, last by 737373elj ().

    • 737373elj wrote:

      Dealer of Death wrote:

      737373elj wrote:

      They removed it a long time ago remember? to prevent thumbs down on features users don't like jkjk JK! Hey no it was a joke don't ban my--
      *bloop*
      Um, I was joking, I never knew there was one.
      If you look at some of Oceanhawk’s old, old posts, you can actually see negative reaction scores :D Also I got unbanned.
      There ain’t really much to contribute to this thread, because all the points have been said already, but I believe that the alert should be kept. Nuclear/chemical creation is really dangerous and should automatically be known so the players have time to react. Eg in some of my games, there was the alert in the newspaper, so my coalition immediately targeted him before it could go out of hand.
      It also makes sense realistically. No country has ever successfully kept their nuclear arsenal a secret. You need nuclear plants for nuclear weapons, and those are really obvious. Not even Israel denies it, everybody just knows they have nuclear weapons. Same with other countries like North Korea and etc.

      Edit: the ban was a joke.
      No, it's not realistic AT ALL. Like I said, YES, once the Nuke program is COMPLETED, there should be a notice, but the initiation, no way, that is completely unrealistic. I mean they built the first nuclear reactor under the bleachers in the stadium at the University of Chicago without anyone even knowing!
      *** Warning: This poster is on double secret probation ***

      "Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD