How to deal with golder w/nukes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to deal with golder w/nukes

I'm playing Finland in FPEU. I'm still mostly a noob (I've played ~7 games) so I have no idea what to do here.

It was Day 5. I was in a coalition with Sweden and Russia, we had planned an attack on Baltic States, my troops were headed for Tallinn, and I was feeling pretty good about how we were doing.

When I logged back in a few hours later, there were ICBMs headed for Helsinki, Tallinn, and Moscow. Apparently the US had decided that we shouldn't invade Baltic, so... nukes. On Day 6. I withdrew my troops and asked for peace but according to US there was no way to cancel the nukes. I lost ~1/3 of my army while they tried to flee from the ICBMs.

It is now Day 7. My coalition made peace with the US but they now have new allies (Poland and Ireland) and have planes+an aircraft carrier based in Europe; we've been forced to do everything US player says because otherwise he could nuke us again. After doing some research I found out Theater Defense Systems stop ICBMs but I don't have the resources to spare to build lvl5 army bases and then train enough TDS's to protect even one of my cities.

What should I do now?
    • Instead of closing the thread for "gold discussion reasons", let me point out an often overlooked fact:
      Unlike RTS games without the ability to spend (Starcraft etc), CON actually resembles the realities of war a lot more when it comes to simulating the chaos of battle or the "big unknown".
      • Do you actually 100% know what could be lurking behind the fog of war? No (maybe he's spending, maybe not)
      • Are you certain that the moment of attack is the right one? Maybe (enemy afk, enemy online - who knows...)
      • Can you gain more info about what to expect by analyzing the actual player info? Yes (experience, won games etc)
      • Does it make sense to invest into recon and potentially espionage? Always (better safe than sorry)
      To me personally this is one of the overlooked positive aspects of not being totally equal on the battlefield or in control of the situation.
      Even if annoying at times, the action remains memorable and recountable - more than I can say about many other games match results.
      After all, skill doesn't lie in winning with a royal flush, but with playing the cards you are dealt while outwitting the opponent.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

The post was edited 2 times, last by Germanico ().

• Germanico wrote:

Instead of closing the thread for "gold discussion reasons", let me point out an often overlooked fact:
      Unlike RTS games without the ability to spend (Starcraft etc), CON actually resembles the realities of war a lot more when it comes to simulating the chaos of battle or the "big unknown".
      • Do you actually 100% know what could be lurking behind the fog of war? No (maybe he's spending, maybe not)
      • Are you certain that the moment of attack is the right one? Maybe (enemy afk, enemy online - who knows...)
      • Can you gain more info about what to expect by analyzing the actual player info? Yes (experience, won games etc)
      • Does it make sense to invest into recon and potentially espionage? Always (better safe than sorry)
      To me personally this is one of the overlooked positive aspects of not being totally equal on the battlefield or in control of the situation.
      Even if annoying at times, the action remains memorable and recountable - more than I can say about many other games match results.
      After all, skill doesn't lie in winning with a royal flush, but with playing the cards you are dealt while outwitting the opponent.
      I'll try to be polite here but that reply was pretty dismissive.

1. I haven't said anything negative about gold or golders aside from "I know for sure he uses gold and I don't know what strategy to use against gold users." I feel like the discussion of strategy as a heavy gold user or against a heavy gold user should be allowed because otherwise you are implicitly saying that gold users are unequal to "normal" players.

2. I'm certain that he has used gold. How else do you have heavy bombers, aircraft carriers, naval air superiority fighters, nuclear warheads, and ICBMs on Day 6? (In addition to using nukes on me and Russia he has also nuked Norway, Italy twice, Turkey twice, and Serbia.) "Maybe he's spending, maybe not?" You're a developer; you should know that this is pretty obvious.

3. Your post mostly didn't include any advice that was actually useful- there's no point in attacking the US again at this point regardless of whether he's AFK at that time or not, because the US is an ocean away, my air force consists of one ASF, and the US has powerful allies in Europe. Did you even bother to read my post instead of just reading "golder w/ nukes" and typing up a generic answer?

4. Likewise I can't exactly invest in recon and espionage because it's day 7 and I don't have the money to run a massive stealth or spy network. Besides, I KNOW he has multiple nukes because HE JUST NUKED ME AND MULTIPLE OTHER PEOPLE. Same thing for aircraft carriers, NASFs, and heavy bombers: they went within sight range of my troops or my coalition members troops.

5. Your advice about analyzing player info did kind of help though; thanks. He's only played 10 games and has won 1 solo; however he has pretty good defeated/casualty ratios. There's not much else that's interesting about his stats, aside from how they confirm that he uses missiles often- he has built 61 secret weapons labs.
    • JoseFStal1n wrote:

Germanico wrote:

Instead of closing the thread for "gold discussion reasons", let me point out an often overlooked fact:
      I'll try to be polite here but that reply was pretty dismissive.
      1. I haven't said anything negative about gold or golders aside from "I know for sure he uses gold and I don't know what strategy to use against gold users." I feel like the discussion of strategy as a heavy gold user or against a heavy gold user should be allowed because otherwise you are implicitly saying that gold users are unequal to "normal" players.

2. I'm certain that he has used gold. How else do you have heavy bombers, aircraft carriers, naval air superiority fighters, nuclear warheads, and ICBMs on Day 6? (In addition to using nukes on me and Russia he has also nuked Norway, Italy twice, Turkey twice, and Serbia.) "Maybe he's spending, maybe not?" You're a developer; you should know that this is pretty obvious.

3. Your post mostly didn't include any advice that was actually useful- there's no point in attacking the US again at this point regardless of whether he's AFK at that time or not, because the US is an ocean away, my air force consists of one ASF, and the US has powerful allies in Europe. Did you even bother to read my post instead of just reading "golder w/ nukes" and typing up a generic answer?

4. Likewise I can't exactly invest in recon and espionage because it's day 7 and I don't have the money to run a massive stealth or spy network. Besides, I KNOW he has multiple nukes because HE JUST NUKED ME AND MULTIPLE OTHER PEOPLE. Same thing for aircraft carriers, NASFs, and heavy bombers: they went within sight range of my troops or my coalition members troops.

5. Your advice about analyzing player info did kind of help though; thanks. He's only played 10 games and has won 1 solo; however he has pretty good defeated/casualty ratios. There's not much else that's interesting about his stats, aside from how they confirm that he uses missiles often- he has built 61 secret weapons labs.
      Well, you were very polite in the first post. This one, not so much.

Germanico is not trying to help you. He is trying to put a different perspective on it and inform you.
    • @JoseFStal1n it was not meant dismissively - we simply have a policy that reads that we will close down gold-player discussions. So that's what I was referring to when I said I won't close it down. Nothing personal at all.

Glad you could take away something from my post - and yes, most of it was not advice as such, but more of a "philosophical" point of view on one of the often overlooked "benefits" of pay 2 win - if you so will.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf