Frigate / Cruiser Combination

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Kalrakh wrote:

No, every unit keeps their range.

Though if a unit with a bigger range fires, units with smaller range will lose their attack and deal no damage.
      Well this is good piece of information,I always thought that range of stack is the range of unit with least range and researched all units to max.Now I will research cruisers first and others past level 1 on need basis.
      I am the best player of this game that was and ever will be
    • Teburu wrote:

dont rely on ranged AA
      pointdefense is where it's at
      If you're referring to planes, the Cruisers PD and both the Cruisers and Frigates Ranged AA are strong.

If you're talking about ship-ship cruise missile warfare :

Cruise Missile Max HP = 14

3 Frigates and 2 Cruisers = 14 Missile Point Defense Damage

- 14 PD does not guarantee 14 damage to a missile (Sometimes is can be 13.9 etc)
      - If that fleet is damaged it no longer has 14 PD

So you would need a stack of 4 Frigates and 1 Cruiser to be half-safe from Cruise Missiles, only problem is now you are not safe from enemy ships.

Edit: Cruise Missiles have 15 HP

The post was edited 1 time, last by Wade97Wade ().

• 737373elj wrote:

DOA70 wrote:

What turned out to be effective was a fleet of sub hunting helicopters. Turns out they are also very effective at attacking ships too once you research them to lvl 5.
      Interesting, how many helis did you lose from AA?
      Not many at all - 1 or 2. A stack of 5 vs 3 cruisers and 2 frigates worked out well. I supplemented it with the armor killing heli's too. It took a while as neither side does a lot of damage, but it worked.

I couldn't use subs cuz the country I started with was basically land-locked
    • Wade97Wade wrote:

Teburu wrote:

dont rely on ranged AA
      pointdefense is where it's at
      If you're referring to planes, the Cruisers PD and both the Cruisers and Frigates Ranged AA are strong.
      If you're talking about ship-ship cruise missile warfare :

Cruise Missile Max HP = 14

3 Frigates and 2 Cruisers = 14 Missile Point Defense Damage

- 14 PD does not guarantee 14 damage to a missile (Sometimes is can be 13.9 etc)
      - If that fleet is damaged it no longer has 14 PD

So you would need a stack of 4 Frigates and 1 Cruiser to be half-safe from Cruise Missiles, only problem is now you are not safe from enemy ships.

Edit: Cruise Missiles have 15 HP
      Don't forget though that for every HP the cruise missile is reduced, so too is it's damage. And based on my experience with them, unless they are aimed just right, the damage against ships is crap to begin with. (I watched a 13 (14?) hp cruise missile hit a stack of 3 corvettes (maxed lvl - shallow water). 3 corvettes remained).
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Just have a second fleet with frigates nearby, though subs will kill such a fleet with ease ^^
      Now that I've played a game with a country that can build a navy, I think my favorite combo is frigates/subs. Have two sub half-stacks, the snazzy new shallow water subs and the deep water subs, with half stacks of frigates and they pack a pretty good punch, especially given the resources needed (build the shallow water subs before upgrading though! Learned that one the hard way X/ )
    • DOA70 wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Just have a second fleet with frigates nearby, though subs will kill such a fleet with ease ^^
      Now that I've played a game with a country that can build a navy, I think my favorite combo is frigates/subs. Have two sub half-stacks, the snazzy new shallow water subs and the deep water subs, with half stacks of frigates and they pack a pretty good punch, especially given the resources needed (build the shallow water subs before upgrading though! Learned that one the hard way X/ )

It the same with all elite units and officers, build as many as possible before upgrading, or they get more and more expensive.

Frigs and subs will get wrecked easily by choppers though.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

DOA70 wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

It the same with all elite units and officers, build as many as possible before upgrading, or they get more and more expensive.

Frigs and subs will get wrecked easily by choppers though.
      Absolutely! But happily, chopper's range isn't that great and I have determined that I am a far better general at defense than offense. Frigate/sub combos are the extent of my naval defense strategy. My naval offense strategy is ... well, by the time I build up a navy that can do anything offensively, the game ended 2 weeks prior. ;)