Elite AIP Submarine imbalance, it needs passive sonar

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Elite AIP Submarine imbalance, it needs passive sonar

Elite subs are quite invisible. If you set them to "return fire" or "hold fire" they should even pass enemy ships without a fight. There is a catch: destroyers, naval recon and ASW helicopters reveal stealth units when in sight range.
      This is a great weakness and even imbalance in the AIP. Sight range destroyers 40 vs sight range AIP 50. So if you're fighting a stack with a destroyer your AIP will be in trouble fast. This is not correct because a RL AIP would have passive listening device and should be able to detect ships far away maybe even beyond classic sonar range.
      I have been using AIP regularly and the lack of passive sonar makes them near useless. You have to use them very, very hands on and even then the sight difference (10) between destroyer (40) and AIP (50) is to small.
      I think it would be realistic to add passive sonar to the AIP at least with range 100 but 150 would by justified especially at tier 2/3.
      I leave it to the devs if it should only detect destroyers/corvettes or all vessels.
      The last option would be correct since AIP should be equipped with advanced listening devices (including radio) in order to detect ships and submarines.
      So an AIP should be aware of its surroundings.
      Nukes don't conquer cities, boots do :evil:
    • if you're active enough to make use of the hit and run they're borderline OP
      and navy usually goes with awacs anyway, without one navy in general is pretty useless

and they designed it deliberatly this way
      if you're a stealth you have the luxus of not having a radar (in this case sonar) signature but in return you dont get any of your own

if anything maybe their speed in coastal waters could be a bit faster than destroyers
      but meh
      I am The Baseline for opinions