Special Forces - what are they good for?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Special Forces - what are they good for?

So I tried out SF, and they really don't seem to be very useful. A 1 v 1 against infantry, yes, they win, but they come away with at least half health gone and are basically useless until healed again.

I've tried them as scouts with very limited effect as they need micromanaged to avoid detection.

The only real use I've found for them is in a stack with tank killers so that I have good infantry killing ability. But that seems like an awful lot of resources used just to kill infantry. So what am I missing?
    • DOA70 wrote:

So I tried out SF, and they really don't seem to be very useful. A 1 v 1 against infantry, yes, they win, but they come away with at least half health gone and are basically useless until healed again.

I've tried them as scouts with very limited effect as they need micromanaged to avoid detection.

The only real use I've found for them is in a stack with tank killers so that I have good infantry killing ability. But that seems like an awful lot of resources used just to kill infantry. So what am I missing?

MrBookShelf wrote:

You move them really close to enemy airport. Wait for those juicy 30 aircraft stack to land for refuel.

Profit.

Also another use from me is when I want to nuke enemy cities. I send them in to pick off AA.

I tried that but my SF got their arses kicked. Granted, it was 1 SF vs
      5 aircraft and 5 helis, but they did virtually no damage at all.
      Caught my opponent offline too so the aircraft just sat there - and
      killed my SF. I can't remember what levels they were, but I do know my
      SF was higher level than the aircraft/helis.

I also tried having
      them pick off a jet that was parked in another city. Landing infantry
      blocked the attack. Instead of killing the jet, they hit the infantry,
      and died.

So, yeah, I agree, they are special, but as far as I can tell, they are more short bus special than anything else. :/
    • DOA70 wrote:

I tried that but my SF got their arses kicked. Granted, it was 1 SF vs
      5 aircraft and 5 helis, but they did virtually no damage at all.
      Caught my opponent offline too so the aircraft just sat there - and
      killed my SF. I can't remember what levels they were, but I do know my
      SF was higher level than the aircraft/helis.
      that's 5 Attack/10 Defense for that stack. Your SF would have been hurt bad. (and that stack has 150HP...)
    • I have also tried them, and found them not worth it. Now, it may be my fault I didn't use them effectively, but it just doesn't seem to be worth the expense.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

I have also tried them, and found them not worth it. Now, it may be my fault I didn't use them effectively, but it just doesn't seem to be worth the expense.
      Yeah they have incredible flaws. Mostly using them in far beyond friendly territory come with ton of problem to deal with.

But if you looking for alternative. They are great at make a trap in mountain and jungle when enemy like to drive tank every where.
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • titankiller11 wrote:

if you take away the part where they cant capture land they are OVER POWERED!
      How so? As I said, I went 1v1 against infantry and they won but were in the red in hp and so were useless. I tried em in an ambush and they got slaughtered (granted odds were bad but still). Yes they can scout, but in order for that to be effective, you have to be online and micromanage them the entire time (and they aren't especially fast). So, in what ways/scenarios are they overpowered?
    • MrBookShelf wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I have also tried them, and found them not worth it. Now, it may be my fault I didn't use them effectively, but it just doesn't seem to be worth the expense.
      Yeah they have incredible flaws. Mostly using them in far beyond friendly territory come with ton of problem to deal with.
      But if you looking for alternative. They are great at make a trap in mountain and jungle when enemy like to drive tank every where.
      I did find them mildly useful in clearing out New Zealand when the other player decided to stick a couple units in each of his provinces. But even there, I lost 2 outta the 4 I sent in and still had to send in infantry afterwards to claim the territory. Was the convenience worth the resources? Not really. But that's the closest I've come.
    • DOA70 wrote:

titankiller11 wrote:

How so? As I said, I went 1v1 against infantry and they won but were in the red in hp and so were useless. I tried em in an ambush and they got slaughtered (granted odds were bad but still). Yes they can scout, but in order for that to be effective, you have to be online and micromanage them the entire time (and they aren't especially fast). So, in what ways/scenarios are they overpowered?
      Ok think about this
      1. starting attack power of 7
      2. stealth unit
      3. air lift
      4. reveals stealth
      5. NBC protection

And gets way better as you upgrade them
    • titankiller11 wrote:

DOA70 wrote:

titankiller11 wrote:

Ok think about this1. starting attack power of 7
      2. stealth unit
      3. air lift
      4. reveals stealth
      5. NBC protection

And gets way better as you upgrade them
      Yes, that's why I gave them a try. But in practice, I've found them next to useless, as I've described. And I have them upgraded one from max. Their stats are impressive, but so is their resource requirement and I have not found any particularly good way to use them. Hence, this thread as I thought maybe I'm missing something. So again I ask you - what situations are they ideal for, besides wondering around getting killed?
    • sorry for necro this thread but I just had to pitch in here, out of my experience (not only limited to CON) Spec Ops can be used two different ways;

- offensively - scout and station a bunch of them in enemy territory, focus on the areas of your primary combat zones in the first phase of combat. They can clear out airfields, AA/SAM/TDS, they can clear out infantry, they can blockade enemy movement (extremely powerful in special terrain types which is the majority type of land in this game anyway). They can cut off enemy reinforcements, and they ignore all entrenchment and bunker bonuses!!!!
      All this to support your first phase of battle and getting your main battle groups into the primary targets.

- defensively - they can Air Assault, they are stealth, they have extreme high stats for infantry, they have very high mobility they have NBC protection as standard, What else do you want??? You can set a bunch of them in chokepoints without your enemy knowing it, they can detect stealth ground units, you can counter strike, you can take out nearby enemy air units by stationing them at the airfield and wait for them to refuel, etc.

It’s important to note that Spec Ops are best used offensively, even when defending. They are not garrisons. They are a surgical tool and a very powerful one at that and they shine when used in asymmetrical combat tactics.

Important to note as well is that Spec Ops’s full potential can only be harnessed when they have a decent stack. The bigger the stack, the better the results and longer operational time they will have to complete their missions before needing to heal.

personally I would recommend at least a stack of 3 and at most a stack of 5. Stack of 5 being preferred.
      Next to that, Spec Ops are one of the few units that get a good stats bump when upgrading. Just a lvl 2 upgrade, increases infantry damage by 2. If you have a stack of 5, that’s an additional 10 damage. That’s huge. Especially considering you can air assault as well, limiting damage to your stack because they will be considered a heli in the first round (make sure you have air superiority or gamble). And the level 3 upgrade adds another 2 damage + more HP.
      they are crazy good if you keep their tech level up to date which imho is absolutely worth it.

so it all ties down to what your combat tactics are. As with all units in this game, they have their own role, their own tactics and you need to synergise your units in order to make the most out of them.

I would put the spec ops (if used properly as mentioned) in the top units of the game.

hope this gives you some more insight into Spec Ops, and once again sorry for necro this thread…
    • DOA70 wrote:

Would you go into a bar and fight 5 - 10 guys at once? Most things in life will lose 5-10 vs 1. You say you caught him offline but chose to fight 1 vs 10??
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp