FROM MAP TO GLOBE

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• FROM MAP TO GLOBE

Hi everyone,

I've been playing this game for years and I really like it, I've always loved military strategy. Now I think it's time to make my suggestion about it.
      If you are wondering what the title means I will summarize it in two simple images.

What I'm saying it's simple.

From this:

To this:

Hahaha yes, don't be frightened now. I know it would be an huge change, but why don't we try to imagine what would it be like this? After all Earth isn't flat even though some people believe this.

What would be the main advantages and improvements?

1)Arctic and Antarctic playable!!
      I don't know if you want to keep Arctic as a sea or put a mass of ice on it. It would be a great battlefield in both ways. Anctarctica in real life is full of natural resources, It could be here too. A strategic place to conquer.

2)Realistic distances
      I think everyone here knows perfectly that the size of countries like Russia and Canada is totally unrealistic and this factor influence distances and travel time too. In addition to this russian, canadian and norwegian islands will be finally a playable territory just as they should be.
      And of course if a plane fly from Canada to Russia it would pass through Arctic and not like in the game.

I think the game would be 100 times better like this, tell me what do you think!!

The post was edited 2 times, last by Piton ().

• yes, the game wasn't made with sphere in mind. It's pretty old memories from help i gave with the 500 players maps on Supremacy, but to me, even the tools and the data sets used to generate the map rely on cartesian coordinates that can't be used for a spherical visualisation. The way the map works is because longitudes and latitudes create a simple x/y axis

Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

yes, the game wasn't made with sphere in mind. It's pretty old memories from help i gave with the 500 players maps on Supremacy, but to me, even the tools and the data sets used to generate the map rely on cartesian coordinates that can't be used for a spherical visualisation. The way the map works is because longitudes and latitudes create a simple x/y axis

So, to do something like this it would mean to create a totally new game right?
      Couldn't it be done just like google maps for example, when you switch from the map to globe or vice-versa merely by pressing a button?