Escalation

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Gold gets a lot of heat especially when your in a 100 person game and you come across a player that is maxed out all buildings on day 1. This usually leads to forming an alliance of Nations to stop them before they grow to powerful. Early Game they are op. And the Late game their momentum crushes all who stand alone.

But it pays for the game and allows you to develop the game without having to sell the house.

This system i proposing comes from a game called battle dawn it was their answer to resource gold spam. Its a counter for the world or in this case the game of the total gold spent (by all players)> And once that counter reaches its threshold All players including the gold users gain a small resource dump in this case it would be components, supplies, electronics, and rare minerals. (i'm not including Manpower on this list to limit the gold a bit). While you can say its pointless, everyone gets the same thing then no one is unique, the effect will largely go against them. if say 20 gold users are on a 100 player game then they reach the threshold of escalation then while the 20 gold users will receive the same effect their 80 rivals will too. And more importantly its only 3 players in an coalition so its more of 97 people got 97,000 resources while your coalition only got 3,000.

This is not to discourage gold use, In fact my time in battle dawn when the tipping point was near people would effectively spam it.

And this can or should at differ to each game type. 30 player games have a lower tipping point than 100 player games.

This will turn the more Hostile reactions that i take advantage of (alliance of nations against the gold spammer) into more of Feed us o great one.

The escalation will also revitalize the markets with the ai nations having more to sell. :thumbsup:

please dont hate me.... i just want my newspapers to not have 70 messages when i log on.

(insert Communist Flag)

"Let all share in the wealth"
    • Thing is that Tacticsoft didn’t make enough money and the game rights were bought last year by a guy who calls himself Gato Games Inc.

In contrast our studio is running well with 20 employees and we’ve got plans (mobile and ...). We also belong to Stillfront Group, which is another level of added security and potential.

In the end running games is a business - and you need to understand both in order to succeed.
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • I don't feel that much that there needs to be such a anti-massive gold user feature for the mid late.

At this point, either he is faced to skilled players that will manage to compensate, or he is steamrolling the map anyway and it's not such a feature that will change the tide of the map. If anything, i would expect the massive gold user to understand that he is harming himself by golding to give resources to his 8-9 (approximately) remaining opponents.

In my Philosophy, starting from the principle that a massive customer already has "purchased" the round in the early, i think it's all the better if he continues to spam "on a dead body". It doesn't cause any harm, and the company receives money.

In my opinion, the biggest "annoyance" with big spenders is how the tech curve can make the players feel "hopeless" with the ICBM. If i was to propose something to reduce the "pain" inflicted on the regular players, i would push the ICBM tech to day 9.

I don't think it would be a game changer, considering how few people can read the newspaper, but it would give a breathing room to deploy properly TDS, and make the life harder for the nuke-spammer (which, for instance, may maybe lead to more spending)
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Germanico wrote:

Thing is that Tacticsoft didn’t make enough money and the game rights were bought last year by a guy who calls himself Gato Games Inc.

In contrast our studio is running well with 20 employees and we’ve got plans (mobile and ...). We also belong to Stillfront Group, which is another level of added security and potential.

In the end running games is a business - and you need to understand both in order to succeed.
      I had good times in battle-dawn it is also very old with just a core group of active players left. Not surprised by that information. Also just because the company went down the Drain does not mean it did not create good ideas.

If it ain't broke why fix? can't really argue that especially on a system that affects a source of income for the company. But innovation is still a must in the business world for longevity, Just because something works does not mean and cant be better and quite honestly with the way call of war and supremacy are creating new versions i expect that you guys will have to do the same down the road. Time does that.

Opulon wrote:

I don't feel that much that there needs to be such a anti-massive gold user feature for the mid late.

At this point, either he is faced to skilled players that will manage to compensate, or he is steamrolling the map anyway and it's not such a feature that will change the tide of the map. If anything, i would expect the massive gold user to understand that he is harming himself by golding to give resources to his 8-9 (approximately) remaining opponents.

In my Philosophy, starting from the principle that a massive customer already has "purchased" the round in the early, i think it's all the better if he continues to spam "on a dead body". It doesn't cause any harm, and the company receives money.

In my opinion, the biggest "annoyance" with big spenders is how the tech curve can make the players feel "hopeless" with the ICBM. If i was to propose something to reduce the "pain" inflicted on the regular players, i would push the ICBM tech to day 9.

I don't think it would be a game changer, considering how few people can read the newspaper, but it would give a breathing room to deploy properly TDS, and make the life harder for the nuke-spammer (which, for instance, may maybe lead to more spending)

Its a anti gold for when gold is spent (early mid or late), which is generally the early game. I've seen bombers on day 3 wreck a 3 nation coordinated strike. And on day 3 generally most nations have infantry and the first 2 or 1 rounds of tanks, aa, air power. And it will slow his steam rolling as i said that 3 man alliance will receive the same amount, and facing 3 nations with a renewed resource reserve is something to think about.

He would likely still steamroll but the effect will be less especially as his rival's use said resources. that's an extra tank or destroyer, or arty that they are to deal with. And while if the game is already dead making him spend a little more to give the company money to deal with that extra unit or 2. I will say it does harm you guys in the larger 100 person games, more people are affected by it and have their time 'wasted' by the massive steam roller. The resource cash back to the players would be more for compensation or to keep them in game despite the superpower. Players getting a resource boost would want to use that or see the affects of it.

ICBM's are dead late game, the TDS just shoots it down without effort. But i agree i've been nuked on several occasions "out of nowhere" not the hidden kind but seeing a article in the newspaper about nation producing nukes and getting icbm the same day in the early or mid-game. Pushing the research date down might delay that giving more time. But players themselves are the best counter to it. In the newspaper you have articles showing nuclear production or chemical production, But you have to go back to that date to find it, and in your own words few people read it. Maybee and indicator telling that this nation is a nuclear power or has ICBM capability (superpower) remember the old Nuclear launch detected that would break the games and move your screen very annoying like. Maybee a threat level indicator based on who your at war with haha. dont know this should be another suggestion really.

Maybee ability to customize your feed in the newspaper (especially when there's 100 players) so you see what you want, and call it a 'Great Firewall'
    • "ICBM's are dead late game, the TDS just shoots it down without effort"

to the contrary. In the late game, ICBM get a splash damage range that make them basically impossible to stop as long as you have planes or missiles to pierce bubbles.

You want to nuke Berlin, but there is 10 TDS in Berlin ?

Send a CM or planes to trigger the 10 TDS, then send your ICBM into the province next to it. Due to the speed, if your ICBM is close enough, it will effortlessly make it in less than 10 minutes. And bam.

No more TDS, and no more Berlin.

there is no real counter to late game ICBMs, except all-out attack to hope you get them before he gets you first. I agree much more with your statement when the ICBM have "only" 50 splash damage, which make harder to wipe stack with the splash damage.

Oh, or you could be playing in Russia of course and with the big provinces, be indirectly protected lol.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • i nvr utilized the splash damage so can't say, i majority ignore icbm production, it cost a lot and such. Ill try that tactic in the future (in a distant game a player screams, Dang You Opulon! as nukes rain from the sky)

But i still stay with my fact that Players themselves are the best counter. If you draw in crayon in big red circles that showed a player was a holder of Nukes or/and ICBM's that theyll deal with it on their own. Spreading units out and constantly moving and hiding in owned territory to shield from the nukes rather than have a doomstack vanish because you couldnt bother read or forgotton a newspaper article.