Tips for Language Differences?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tips for Language Differences?

Hello all,
      I'm still new to the game here and have been loving it thus far! Each match I have joined, I have come across individuals that speak a different language than me (I'm in english). So far I dont know anybody that plays this game, so I rely completely on making friends with randoms and forming coalitions with what I have. I have two questions regarding language barriers in the game chat:

- When I see a message that has clearly been translated from another language, does CON translate automatically? or is it up to the individual to translate through Google or whatever?

- Do you have any tips for communicating to players of another language? So far I can only think of: eliminating all slang, make sure spelling is correct, keep it concise and to the point.
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • Honestly, in my short time of playing, I have rarely seen any foreign languages. However, if you do see a foreign language message, I would probably use Google Translate. I would use English most of the time, but I would use Google Translate only if someone responds in the same language.
      "Dealer of Death has counted to infinity... twice"
      -Kurtvonstein
    • Here's the basic gist of the language system we're using in CON:WW3

Flashpoint maps (being the game-starting-map) are "locked" in local language, meaning if you are eg. American, then there will be predominately English speaking players on this map. Same for French, German, Italian etc. if you would like to eg. play an Italian Flashpoint game as American, you would need to change your game's language to Italian to see these Italian Flashpoint maps. This can be done via the language selector on your game home page.

All other maps are "multi-national" meaning that they are open to joining by any language, but the "common tongue" of these matches is English. This said, if for example there is a group of Spanish speaking players on said map communicating in Spanish, they are not violating our rules.

Hope that explains it.

//G
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Ok, that does make sense. So if i encounter a Spanish speaking player, it would be up to me to translate my text into Spanish, or for them to translate into English for me.

Germanico wrote:

but the "common tongue" of these matches is English.
      So the non-English players are likely translating their messages on their own I take it?

I'm just making sure I have this straight because I have seen English and Spanish messages in my WW3 coalition chat from the same players.
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • Agree. A bit irritating if you don’t know what cool flavor is going on so you can’t play your part... :saint:
      I usually use google translate so I can reply back in the same language. However, if there are English speakers in the coalition as well, I place the original sentence below the translation.
      Tbh it’s probably best to include translation and the original text in the same message. Less time wasted, a lot more efficient.
    • I don't join coalition with some random player without knowing if they speakEnglish or not . If someone tells that they don't know English or know it less , I may use translate because it causes confusions if someone writes something in broken English. Better to save time like that.
      I use my second language i.e. Hindi to communicate with my Pakistani friend who generally communicates in Urdu .
    • Rozne Eltobliv wrote:

I don't join coalition with some random player without knowing if they speakEnglish or not . If someone tells that they don't know English or know it less , I may use translate because it causes confusions if someone writes something in broken English. Better to save time like that.
      I use my second language i.e. Hindi to communicate with my Pakistani friend who generally communicates in Urdu .
      I envy those with multiple language skills. Sadly, my brain is just not wired that way. Oh, I can learn the words and rules, but I can't think anything in anything but English, so using another language is like an awkward halting translation cipher.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD