The RAILGUN !!! again....

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• heres why the railgun is hopelessly out of balance, ok so i normally build swarms of air sup, railgun makes all air useless.. now i build stacks with 4 aaa tanks 2 railguns and infantry with a seconf stack of 2 aaa tanks and 6 rocket launchers.. moves like a roman tortoise but you dont need the air anymore so u can build lots of ground.. you dont need strike air sup airborne or missiles with railguns as they are.. they make air power obsolete...
    • here's a good example, myanmar held dahka we were advancing, dahka is a good defensive point because of the terrain, ok so he had 3 aaa tanks some mixed units and 2 railguns in dahka, he held off 3 players for 2 days, this was 3 players with all the bells and whistles cruise, we had in excess of 50 air units in the area, it shredded most of them, even when it fired in artillery mode, it still shredded the air minutes later, bal missiles nope, choppers nope, its only weak spot is its range, so we spent 3 days reducing the city to ash with rocket launchers
    • colinlevinge wrote:

here's a good example, myanmar held dahka we were advancing, dahka is a good defensive point because of the terrain, ok so he had 3 aaa tanks some mixed units and 2 railguns in dahka, he held off 3 players for 2 days, this was 3 players with all the bells and whistles cruise, we had in excess of 50 air units in the area, it shredded most of them, even when it fired in artillery mode, it still shredded the air minutes later, bal missiles nope, choppers nope, its only weak spot is its range, so we spent 3 days reducing the city to ash with rocket launchers
      First, you *must* have visibility - it boosts your damage done and can show you what works best and what works least. So, you build a Special Forces unit who parks just within site range (hopefully they have nothing that can see him in return). Then, once you see exactly what the makeup is you proceed accordingly. Railguns with SAMs, you can attack with choppers. Railguns with AA, you can attack with top shelf ground pounding aircraft (naval strike fighters). Railguns with both? MLRs or a stack of high end mech infantry.

What you *don't* do is keep trying to use your old strategy against a new unit. New units have different weaknesses. Learn them and exploit them. That's how you win games.
    • yzjqx wrote:

Lmao sounds like you need to stop patrolling 50 air units within it's aa range.
      You know, if they deathstack a city with bunkers, you can just avoid it? Or you can like get more mrls
      I'm one of those OCD people who can't leave a red blotch on my map. I faced something very similar to what colinlevinge described - a death stack of railguns with other stuff on a victory site with lvl 3 combat outpost. I got to try a bunch of different things on that stack. It was an expensive, but fruitful, learning experience.
    • Teburu wrote:

I highly doubt that visibility has any impact on the dmg dealt
      I got to see it first-hand. I was attacking an advancing ground force via the air. I hit them while they were on my province, wrote down damage done. Hit them again after they had taken the province (but had moved well off the center). When they moved on to the next province I owned, I saw that the damage done when they were only visible as a radar blip was significantly reduced - well beyond the range one would expect from random variability.

Was there some other factor that I failed to take into consideration? Perhaps. I hadn't lost any units attacking them and they were on the same terrain but it is possible the other player could have spent gold to increase their health 10% while they were only radar blips. It definitely would have been a weird time/place to spend gold, but still, it is possible. In the meantime though, I work under the assumption that decreased visibility also decreases amount of damage done.
    • colinlevinge wrote:

The rail gun is hopelessly powerful, for a start, if it fires in artillery mode, it can then fire in aaa mode within the hour, so id suggest increase the aaa reload time to 1 hour, it either fires as artillery or aaa not both.
      It is powerful only when you don't have rocket launcher to counter it just like strike fighter is very powerful unless it is met against anti air or air sup.
      In the last game my level 3 railguns were crucified by enemy rocket launcher level 4 due to thier long range and I had to make peace with them so now I will switch to rokcet launcher again as main weapons with railgun in support rule.
      I am the best player of this game that was and ever will be
    • DOA70 wrote:

colinlevinge wrote:

here's a good example, myanmar held dahka we were advancing, dahka is a good defensive point because of the terrain, ok so he had 3 aaa tanks some mixed units and 2 railguns in dahka, he held off 3 players for 2 days, this was 3 players with all the bells and whistles cruise, we had in excess of 50 air units in the area, it shredded most of them, even when it fired in artillery mode, it still shredded the air minutes later, bal missiles nope, choppers nope, its only weak spot is its range, so we spent 3 days reducing the city to ash with rocket launchers
      First, you *must* have visibility - it boosts your damage done and can show you what works best and what works least. So, you build a Special Forces unit who parks just within site range (hopefully they have nothing that can see him in return). Then, once you see exactly what the makeup is you proceed accordingly. Railguns with SAMs, you can attack with choppers. Railguns with AA, you can attack with top shelf ground pounding aircraft (naval strike fighters). Railguns with both? MLRs or a stack of high end mech infantry.
      What you *don't* do is keep trying to use your old strategy against a new unit. New units have different weaknesses. Learn them and exploit them. That's how you win games.
      i actually tried that with my special forces, they got shot down, lvl 6 recon, tech 3 railguns, we attacked with air initially, it was a hard fought frontline and most of our air reserves were in the general area, we had no recon, we knew aaa was strong tho, but normally u will do some major damage with 50 air, in stacks of 5, mixed units in stacks to spread the damage, man it was carnage lol we lost probably 30 airunits, which seems a trifle disproportionate even for aaa tanks and 2 railguns... i think solution is if the railgun has fired as artillery, then it has no aaa for an hour, if it fires as aaa, then no artillery function for an hour, thats probably not workable lol
    • colinlevinge wrote:

DOA70 wrote:

colinlevinge wrote:

First, you *must* have visibility - it boosts your damage done and can show you what works best and what works least. So, you build a Special Forces unit who parks just within site range (hopefully they have nothing that can see him in return). Then, once you see exactly what the makeup is you proceed accordingly. Railguns with SAMs, you can attack with choppers. Railguns with AA, you can attack with top shelf ground pounding aircraft (naval strike fighters). Railguns with both? MLRs or a stack of high end mech infantry.What you *don't* do is keep trying to use your old strategy against a new unit. New units have different weaknesses. Learn them and exploit them. That's how you win games.
      i actually tried that with my special forces, they got shot down, lvl 6 recon, tech 3 railguns, we attacked with air initially, it was a hard fought frontline and most of our air reserves were in the general area, we had no recon, we knew aaa was strong tho, but normally u will do some major damage with 50 air, in stacks of 5, mixed units in stacks to spread the damage, man it was carnage lol we lost probably 30 airunits, which seems a trifle disproportionate even for aaa tanks and 2 railguns... i think solution is if the railgun has fired as artillery, then it has no aaa for an hour, if it fires as aaa, then no artillery function for an hour, thats probably not workable lol
      Yeah, that's too easily exploited. Plus, AA has 10 minute cooldown, not 1 hr.

I've been there, and despite what others say, I think having vision is a critical element to rooting out troops that are dug in like that. Even if there are no changes to damage (which I still think there is), seeing exactly how much damage any given type of attack does is critical to developing the best strategy for eliminating them with the least amount of losses on your side.

Also, don't forget that when attacking by air, the defending unit can get 2-3 attacks in for every one of yours. They get their area attack which fires every 10 minutes *and* they get their point defense attack, which is triggered each and every time their stack is attacked directly. That can result in some extremely brutal results, especially when the defending stack is at full health.

In that case, its better to go in with a big stack of ground units (mech infantry would be my choice, with one or two SF to give maximum visibility prior to hitting them).
    • colinlevinge wrote:

The rail gun is hopelessly powerful, for a start, if it fires in artillery mode, it can then fire in aaa mode within the hour, so id suggest increase the aaa reload time to 1 hour, it either fires as artillery or aaa not both.
      Stop trying to ruin my toys!!!
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I was reading this - and other threads on RGs - and i kept on thinking: i'm a MRL user anyway, and don't really see the big deal. Max MRLs, problem solved. So i didn't really see the issue.

Right now, i'm invading the Philippines. And there's a stack including a maxed radar and 5 x RGs in Cebu. Ouch... how do i, now? anything that flies will be slaughtered.

There is still a solution: bring the MRLs to a nearby island. But of course, it's a slightly complex piece of work: use a (maxed) drone to detect them (being careful because of the radar sight range), use a marine to take a nearby island, build a pontoon (no airport because the RGs will shoot them down), land, use MRLs. if my enemy is 1/2 active, the plan will end-up in the bin. and i guess at that point the only answer will be cruisers.

So back to the topic several people flagged above: range is the way. could be complex, but after all it is an elite, very expensive unit, so it's meant to be hard to take down, otherwise it would be a very expensive piece of junk...
    • Sgniappo wrote:

I was reading this - and other threads on RGs - and i kept on thinking: i'm a MRL user anyway, and don't really see the big deal. Max MRLs, problem solved. So i didn't really see the issue.

Right now, i'm invading the Philippines. And there's a stack including a maxed radar and 5 x RGs in Cebu. Ouch... how do i, now? anything that flies will be slaughtered.

There is still a solution: bring the MRLs to a nearby island. But of course, it's a slightly complex piece of work: use a (maxed) drone to detect them (being careful because of the radar sight range), use a marine to take a nearby island, build a pontoon (no airport because the RGs will shoot them down), land, use MRLs. if my enemy is 1/2 active, the plan will end-up in the bin. and i guess at that point the only answer will be cruisers.

So back to the topic several people flagged above: range is the way. could be complex, but after all it is an elite, very expensive unit, so it's meant to be hard to take down, otherwise it would be a very expensive piece of junk...
      there is this neat thing called "navy"
      I am The Baseline for opinions