Playing the Game with a Code of Chivalry

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• 737373elj wrote:

I am playing in a game right now, where if I leave I would get a solo win, my first one ever. Naturally, I was very excited to do so, and I told my coalition mates about my intentions.
      Now, one of my coalition mates had helped me bombard missiles to the last major country not in our coalition, whittling down his forces. I don't think he was very happy with not receiving a large portion of his territory, but he did not say so. When he heard that I wanted to leave the coalition and get a solo win, he was very angry, and stated that he would declare war and destroy me (which is precisely what he is preparing for now).
      Now I understand his anger, but would you agree that I don't deserve a solo win? Was what I did honourable? Should I pass up a chance for getting a solo win because it isn't totally solo-ed? (And do you think he could have just said it nicely.)
      Seems like backstabbing your coalition mates to me. I have never* backed out of an alliance to get a solo victory, and I think it would take extraordinary circumstances for me to do so. Like: If my coalition mates did nothing and went inactive but weren't ejected because they had security council membership.
      That said, I don't take on coalition mates lightly.

* - Well I did 1 time, but it was an exceptional circumstance, and I don't think it really counts. I agreed to join one country's coalition and help keep him from being destroyed with full upfront knowledge that once his cities were restored (he had lost all his homeland cities and only had 1 city left before I restored all of his homeland to him) to him, I would leave the coalition for the solo win I had worked all game for.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Opulon wrote:

I tend to have an inability to understand "glory-seekers" through "win rate" of public games. And while i understand it for elo ranking, i still am not interested in it.
      It's important to win debates tho ! After all "I have better stats" is the ultimate ... uhm "killer argument" (imo the german "Totschlagargument" is more fitting tho i can't really find an appropriate translation for it, literally it'd translate to something akin of beating someone dead with an argument)
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Opulon wrote:

I tend to have an inability to understand "glory-seekers" through "win rate" of public games. And while i understand it for elo ranking, i still am not interested in it.
      It's important to win debates tho ! After all "I have better stats" is the ultimate ... uhm "killer argument" (imo the german "Totschlagargument" is more fitting tho i can't really find an appropriate translation for it, literally it'd translate to something akin of beating someone dead with an argument)
      English needs that word!!! Totschlag argument! There. Now everyone here has to start using it.

I read a book that used a line similar to that - the fighter joked that the smart guy would think the enemy to a pulp. My favorite line in the book.
    • You have to think about future games that you will play. When you establish a moral code that you play by then other players will adjust their strategy when dealing with you in the future for better or worse. As far as dealing with "dirty" players i will take the gloves off and give them what they "morally" deserve which is my sword of chivalry up their ass. :)
    • this is especially true in alliances where the feedback of one players propagates toward his teammates and potentially other alliances.

A lot of alliance have a dedicated discord channel about "This guy is a great ally" or "He will try to backstab you".
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.