Hey Devs, Server sparing suggestion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hey Devs, Server sparing suggestion

Way back when I played the first Civilization game, there was an option for Advanced Start. It provided you with cities built up and other stuff.

What I am suggesting is an Advanced Start Map for CoN with many more units and cities with built up buildings to begin with encouraging immediate attacks and thus shortening the total time it takes to complete a game, THUS sparing your servers of epically long games.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • A good idea gameplay wise, but from a business approach : "Where does Dorado earns its money ?".

Resources and Tech is the main engine of CoN income, sadly :p
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

A good idea gameplay wise, but from a business approach : "Where does Dorado earns its money ?".

Resources and Tech is the main engine of CoN income, sadly :p
      I'm not saying give the tech for the extra units, just the units. Also not saying give more resources.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• giving more units comes more or less to the same ultimately

"Advanced Start Map for CoN with many more units and cities with built up buildings to begin with encouraging immediate attacks"

Every unit and building in itself is composed of resources the player is supposed to use (or gold), and speed up if he is really frustrated.

This compulsion is the most heavy in the first few days.

So, to begin with built cities and heavy pre-made armies is of course SUPER fun, but it kills a bit in the egg the income phase for Dorado
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

giving more units comes more or less to the same ultimately

"Advanced Start Map for CoN with many more units and cities with built up buildings to begin with encouraging immediate attacks"

Every unit and building in itself is composed of resources the player is supposed to use (or gold), and speed up if he is really frustrated.

This compulsion is the most heavy in the first few days.

So, to begin with built cities and heavy pre-made armies is of course SUPER fun, but it kills a bit in the egg the income phase for Dorado
      I think the few extra buildings and units and speeding up the map could be offset by the $$ saved by server sparing. And if you only do it say in the capital cities, the potential loss would be minimum.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• ultimately Dorado wants to generate money. It's hard to convince a business to do anything that doesn't bring direct value, or indirect value.

If i'm not wrong, it's in the early that the spending is the most intense, for the reasons i explained.

Now, even with that, "Advanced Start" has been somewhat attemped with Rising Tide, when players started the game with lvl 5 infantries and level 5 ASF.

The map has been updated and this advanced start has been deleted. It means that even something "light" like this wasn't to their taste.
    • Opulon wrote:

ultimately Dorado wants to generate money. It's hard to convince a business to do anything that doesn't bring direct value, or indirect value.

If i'm not wrong, it's in the early that the spending is the most intense, for the reasons i explained.

Now, even with that, "Advanced Start" has been somewhat attemped with Rising Tide, when players started the game with lvl 5 infantries and level 5 ASF.

The map has been updated and this advanced start has been deleted. It means that even something "light" like this wasn't to their taste.
      You are only speculating as to that change, and like I said, a limited amount shouldn't make much of impact on the money at all.
      But more importantly:
      Why do you feel the need to argue what you believe is their side and make it less likely, instead of saying "yay, good idea", so everyone would at least have a little teeny bit more chance to play with more toys?
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• I speak so because i am in a position where i have the pleasure to exhange with them regularly in terms of Business, and that when they don't consider something as viable for economical reasons, they have the honesty to tell us, instead of using corporate PR like ubisoft.

It's one of the perks when you are in the staff. My conditionals, and my "speculations", are only labelled so because i can't speak on their behalf and i do not want to betray "what i have understood" vs "what they would be willing to say".

Same for the Rising Tides map.

Anyway, Arguing that your idea is unlikely for the economical reasons i raised, it doesn't mean that your idea isn't good, far from it, or that i'm opposed to it.
      It just means that if you want it to ever happen with more than 0% odds, you need to take into account those parameters and try to refine it.

Now, if your intentions were just to make a topic and get social points about a superb idea, like "wow, how did they never think of it ?!" or "+1000, this needs to happen ! ", then... take your like, it is granted with true goodwill.

And have a nice day, sir.
    • Opulon wrote:

I speak so because i am in a position where i have the pleasure to exhange with them regularly in terms of Business, and that when they don't consider something as viable for economical reasons, they have the honesty to tell us, instead of using corporate PR like ubisoft.

It's one of the perks when you are in the staff. My conditionals, and my "speculations", are only labelled so because i can't speak on their behalf and i do not want to betray "what i have understood" vs "what they would be willing to say".

Same for the Rising Tides map.

Anyway, Arguing that your idea is unlikely for the economical reasons i raised, it doesn't mean that your idea isn't good, far from it, or that i'm opposed to it.
      It just means that if you want it to ever happen with more than 0% odds, you need to take into account those parameters and try to refine it.

Now, if your intentions were just to make a topic and get social points about a superb idea, like "wow, how did they never think of it ?!" or "+1000, this needs to happen ! ", then... take your like, it is granted with true goodwill.

And have a nice day, sir.
      That's all well and good, and no, LOL, I'm not out for anything on these forums really other than to learn, help, suggest, prod, and occasionally make people laugh, but I was thinking that if you thought something had some merit, it might go the teensiest little bit further to making it a reality, if you in those cases, refrained from applying the Ginsu knives* to it, unless asked "what's wrong with my idea?"
      Additionally, I don't even have a facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok, Youtube, or Snapchat account, so being the CoN Forum King also isn't on my "to do" list.

*-with or without the bonus Bamboo steamer
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• ewac123 wrote:

Heyyy!
      Opulon, I think what DoD wants is a Call of War 1939 historical round.
      Hey!
      I think what ewac123 needs is a muzzle.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• ewac123 wrote:

Lol, thought we were friends...
      What does the DoD spoon killer need?
      Deprive him of a spoon.
      Yeah, so? What does that have to do with my revulsion that you think I would suggest anything past related?
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Lol.
      I have to say, maybe you are right...?
      I have travelled back in time to join the first and second world wars.
      They were... alright.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Nah, what I mean is like a history round.
      Like a round where USA, Russia, China, UK, France, and India+PK+israel+NK have nukes.
      Then there are already some buildings and research in place...
      And predetermined alliances to balance(eg. UK, France +europe in one team, USA+Canada+Japan in one team, China, NK, Pakistan in one team, and India, Russia, and Israel in one team?)
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Germanico wrote:

chill guys - all fine with banter, but curve it. If anyone wants to play Call of War - be my guest. We surely won't release a WW2 scenario for our game cause it just doesn't click.
      I don't think there is the slightest bit of animosity between us, Big No Guy.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Germanico wrote:

chill guys - all fine with banter, but curve it. If anyone wants to play Call of War - be my guest. We surely won't release a WW2 scenario for our game cause it just doesn't click.

Agreed. DoD and I chat daily using discord multiple times.
      DoD tends to be sarcastic and call out bad ideas very quickly- it might be because he's a Gulf War vet. :D :D