Alternative strategies to winning games

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Alternative strategies to winning games

This topic of playing dirty has come up a lot in this forum recently, but I thought I'd share my experiences and one of the strategies I used. However, before I get started, I do not believe that this is considered wolfpacking.
      I joined a game as Norway, and was immediately attacked on day 2 by both Finland and Sweden. Although I managed to hang onto all of my cities, I was unable to defend my provinces and pretty much had to resort my entire early resources to bunkers and inf spam to hold onto my cities. I was able to survive in the end and ended up taking out both enemies by about day 15 but it severely damaged my growth in terms of economy, army, and size.
      By now I had allied with Germany and Spain, who were both around level 1 and had to be taught to do a lot of things.
      I was in a pretty bad spot, especially after a war between Spain, Germany and Great Britain ended up with a couple of my cities shelled to oblivion.
      At this point, in Africa, the main power in the game was emerging as Namibia and South Africa, who together had about 3/4's of Africa and were knocking on the doorstep to Spain.

I messaged the US, Bolivia, Indonesia, Serbia, Afghanistan, Ethiopia, and Poland-about every large power remaining-about the danger of Namibia and somehow convinced them all to attack him. This now split his 500 VP's around 10 people, and basically reset the game clock, leaving more time for me and my coalition to be able to win. At this point, I also allied with Serbia.

Now it is day 60, and my coalition is pretty much taking a victory lap after taking out Bolivia and the USA.

Without this deception which weakened almost everyone with a huge war against the most powerful country-which in reality wasn't terribly powerful, just spamming inf and strike fighters- there was no way that I would have won this game.
      I'd like to start a conversation on these sorts of strategies-their effectiveness, their morality, and whether you use them or not.