Airborne infantry are being rather... slapped around

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Airborne infantry are being rather... slapped around

Greetings all, I think there is a rather serious issue with a particular unit that really needs to sorted out

Airborne infantry are way to limited. I am yet to research at the upper levels, but even at level 1 the unit is way to under powered. I was going to bring some facts about the helicopter, but I have no clue what helicopter to use. The Unit Icon has a UH-60, the picture during transport is a CH-47 Chinook and the image in the tech tree is a Huey, Blackhawk then an osprey.

But the Airborne forces badly need more range, they are completely useless considering how rare it is to get a airbase right on the boarder with your enemy, which is as close to them being useful you will get...

The other issue is, they are really useless on land. Airborne forces are superior than the normal infantry, however in game they are waay to slow and very badly need a buff.

:thumbsup: Oceanhawk
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • They are slow and you can argue about drop range, but they are not weak when you take upkeep into account. They have better strength + HP per upkeep than lvl 3 mot inf which is pretty huge considering they can drop in from long range. They don't need to march fast since they can just jump in a chopper and relocate. I'd say they are perhaps overpowered if anything.
      -danny
    • Basically this is a display issue more than anything.

After the holidays we are going to get the jeep anim out of them and have them walk. That's why they are slow.
      Don't forget - they now can conquer... so that's the answer- they are offensive units, who are meant to quickly engage and air assault.
      Do not expect them to drive around guns toting or defending places - cause that's not what they are good at.
      This unit comes to it's own in places like S/E Asia and Europe - not so much in US and RU due to the large distances.
      Ranges are of course still beta - so please keep up the reports, but remember these guys can simply outfly any defense and land in the hinterland (if no AA is present).

Additionally I would like to point out the recent slowdown in difficult terrain for ground units - making these guys really come to their own in getting to where the action is fast.

//Germanico
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • Germanico wrote:

Basically this is a display issue more than anything.

After the holidays we are going to get the jeep anim out of them and have them walk. That's why they are slow.
      Don't forget - they now can conquer... so that's the answer- they are offensive units, who are meant to quickly engage and air assault.
      Do not expect them to drive around guns toting or defending places - cause that's not what they are good at.
      This unit comes to it's own in places like S/E Asia and Europe - not so much in US and RU due to the large distances.
      Ranges are of course still beta - so please keep up the reports, but remember these guys can simply outfly any defense and land in the hinterland (if no AA is present).

Additionally I would like to point out the recent slowdown in difficult terrain for ground units - making these guys really come to their own in getting to where the action is fast.

//Germanico
      Id like to take you up on that "offensive unit" part. They are used for offensive operations, but often will be doing defensive tasks. They go ahead of the main force, they go in ahead to secure bridges, airfields and other strategic targets and will have to hold the asset until relief comes, and often it doesnt come in a timely manner. Their defensive stats need a boost, but more important is the range and the speed needs a small boast too.

But even putting in perspective the other helicopters. It appears that the Cobra at level one was giving a range of 350 in game. IRL has a range of 360 Miles ( About that, was off the top of my head) and the Blackhawk used to transport these Airborne infantry is about 370 Miles and that just the utility blackhawk, take a MH-60 or a pavehawk which is just the multi mission blackhawk can get up to 560 something miles with external fuel tanks ( around that figure).

Also just on this infantry topic, I think it would be great if there were some details regarding the range to ferry infantry and other units by cargoplane.
      The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
      - Thomas Jefferson

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
      - Milton Friedman

Know your enemy and know yourself and you can fight a hundred battles without disaster.
      - Sun Tzu
    • Please note that our scale is not in miles. And we do take leeway when it comes to balancing. We are not a sim and will not try to be one in technical terms so we will deviate for playability.

Concernjng the Airlift range: Global

// Germanico
      "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
    • tonight I attacked with an antiaircraft tank with airattack
      And this antiaircraft tank has much more range as the airborne infantry 8o
      My helicopters bring an antiaircraft tank from Rostov on Don to Sevastopol, but the airborne infantry only to Dnipropetrovsk and for the rest of the way the infantry walk 14 hours :D .

Better you changed the range, or make it equal. This make sense
      „Morgen, ihr Luschen!“ --- „Morgen, Chef!“ (Ausbilder Schmidt alias Holger Müller bei der Arbeit)
    • Germanico wrote:

Please note that our scale is not in miles. And we do take leeway when it comes to balancing. We are not a sim and will not try to be one in technical terms so we will deviate for playability.

Concernjng the Airlift range: Global

// Germanico
      Ahh well that is much better than having airbases in homeland provences. That is a very very good idea. However I still think the range is too small.

Course there has to be some balancing, but cant go to the point, where airborne infantry are rendered useless. Right now, Im fighting in south America in brazil, and my airborne infantry are just sitting around, cant use them as they too slow on foot, and cant fly very far

Might have been better researching marines
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Germanico wrote:

We can easily adjust ranges if we (the players) find they are to short. And Seele might have spotted a design bug... will check it out.

//Germanico

Appreciate the interest in the feedback :D ,
      looking forward to seeing some progress and more range ;)
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu
    • Think the range issue is sorted

thks devs for listening to the community XD
      - Thomas Jefferson

- Milton Friedman

- Sun Tzu