To Help the Noobs?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• To Help the Noobs?

I just started a ww3 map and I do as I always do: check the stats of my neighbors to assess my early threats or potential allies. All I can see around me are a sea of lvl. 1-4 players. As we can see, with the rising success of the mobile launch there has come a tidal wave of user29857290458709587024359871876544534892533353213745's out there. Now, I am no veteran of the game by any means, but I have learned greatly from this forum and never could have progressed this fast on my own. When I see all these lvl. 1 players out there I think 1 of 2 things: Hey, easy kill! or Dang, someone should tell him not to build local industries in random provinces lol.

I believe I have read older threads like this, but my question up for discussion is this: What are your feelings towards the new guys? Easy prey? A diamond in the rough? In this game I mentioned, I struck up a conversation with one of the noobies, and I felt like offering something along the lines of: "Hey, if there's anything you have a question on, I would be happy to help. I know the game has a harsh learning curve." He was so thrilled to have someone to help show him a thing or two. (Again, I am no expert).

So, Thought?

(I felt so satisfied having helped this fellow player out that I wish to find more like him that I can share the little I have learned with :D )
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • It's sometimes tiring to feel that even when you are objectively well-trained and legitimate to give advices to a newer player, 98% of the times he will either be too stupid to understand, or too arrogant to listen, if he isn't already inactive by the time you send the message. He will die by your sword, and leave you with a bored impression you've wasted both time and kindness.

However, the remaining 2% compensate for all the others : it's the case you describe. A beginner that will actually take opportunity of what you try to teach him, and that turn into a better player as a result, not even speaking of the fact you helped someone to like the game as you do, and as a result, to stick to it.

So, by any means, continue. It's not only about the inherent "benevolence", but also about future contacts and people that will look forward playing with you again.

If you want to teach younger players but desire to avoid the statistics of public games (with its endless new batches of silent retarded kamikazes), consider to join an alliance : as they pre-filter through recruitment, the average newbie you get under your hands has "more chances to have potential".

Now, to be honest, my alliance more or less began in spirit with a similar story.

10 years ago, a player with reasonable experience talking to a beginner, and teaching him, even if it was against his "strategical interests".
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • I'm just getting my head around the fact that on Day 10, on a flashpoint map, I'm the only human left, so I'm basically playing Single Player CoN. Which is such a shame. I like the intellectual duelling. I'll finish it, probably, but you know, it's not why I start a game.

The reason my post is relevant to this thread is that what I should have done is treated it like a mentor game, rather than just killing the only people I thought were human. I should have taken them under my wing, showed them how to do stuff, taught them about Resource Management, worthwhile early buildings and Research. Instead, I just killed them, and I bloody wish I hadn't now, because I've got probably 20 days of routine fish in a barrel stuff now. No fun. Silly me.
    • Yes, my thoughts exactly. I try and limit myself to one game at a time, and never 4x, because I love the game, but I do also have shit to do in real life. But I do feel a bit robbed. I like the chess game thing, you know, trying to figure out how someone's thinking, what their plan is. You just can't do that against only AI. I suppose I could start a nice WW3 or Overkill game (I love Overkill), but then I'd have two games running, and I know from bitter experience that's a very bad idea. You end up organising your life around the timings of the game, which is just silly.
    • In the same boat. I am thinking most of the userxxxx names are AI to begin with and are not actual real players? Hard to believe so many real players even noobs will start and not even make a single move in the game and drop out after 5 minutes? Usually they have a name and play for a day maybe then drop out. What i am seeing seem different then that. i dunno
    • every single userxxxxxx has been, at some point, a human that downloaded the game and signed in.

userxxxxx that change their in game name are already "beyond the first step".

Online games have a huge, HUGE, HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE infant mortality.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

However, the remaining 2% compensate for all the others : it's the case you describe. A beginner that will actually take opportunity of what you try to teach him, and that turn into a better player as a result, not even speaking of the fact you helped someone to like the game as you do, and as a result, to stick to it.

So, by any means, continue. It's not only about the inherent "benevolence", but also about future contacts and people that will look forward playing with you again.
      I love how you put this... Thats the passion right there!

This is definitely my fav game. As stated earlier, the learning curve can be ...frustrating.

For a new player, as I am (learning fast) it was like a breath of air while drowning when an experienced player suddenly ran down the basics for me of Day 1 moves and best practices. He made several good suggestions throughout the match - I simply took these as orders from a Commander, which of course he was.

This also changed my whole experience with the game...I was losing alot! Its the small details that you dont know in your first few games that defeat you... Once I knew how it felt to win and really get to use all my units, it was a wrap.

It is imperative that Officers and NCO's in the game take some time to tap out the basics to lower ranks. It's the only way to add players (not the ones who will leave) to the base, and that future commander will always have your back.
    • p0pe wrote:

For a new player, as I am (learning fast) it was like a breath of air while drowning when an experienced player suddenly ran down the basics for me of Day 1 moves and best practices. He made several good suggestions throughout the match - I simply took these as orders from a Commander, which of course he was.

This also changed my whole experience with the game...I was losing alot! Its the small details that you dont know in your first few games that defeat you... Once I knew how it felt to win and really get to use all my units, it was a wrap.

It is imperative that Officers and NCO's in the game take some time to tap out the basics to lower ranks. It's the only way to add players (not the ones who will leave) to the base, and that future commander will always have your back.
      I was very fortunate. I picked UK as my starting country in a flashpoint map as my first game so the tutorial went off pretty well, and I had breathing room/time to learn, but the big fortune was joining the coalition of a very experienced player in Italy who helped me along and answered all my dumbarse questions. SO, ... the practical upshot is I got to be part of a coalition win in my very first game! Yay me!
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

p0pe wrote:

I was very fortunate. I picked UK as my starting country in a flashpoint map as my first game so the tutorial went off pretty well, and I had breathing room/time to learn, but the big fortune was joining the coalition of a very experienced player in Italy who helped me along and answered all my dumbarse questions. SO, ... the practical upshot is I got to be part of a coalition win in my very first game! Yay me!
      I was very unlucky . I picked Canada . USA was a experience player . I joined usa coalition. USA betrayed me by sending troops in my cities when they were empty and kicked me out of coalition.
    • p0pe wrote:

Opulon wrote:

I love how you put this... Thats the passion right there!
      This is definitely my fav game. As stated earlier, the learning curve can be ...frustrating.

it's pretty exhausting tho, telling ppl the same things over and over again
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • This is true, but you have a workaround : In the beginning, you tell simple things over and over again, until you have around you a cluster of correctly trained players that can do it for you, and you focus on higher-depth knowledge and discussions.

Ultimately i do continue to repeat simple things to newcomers, but it's more "when i feel like it", which means that the guy must ask in a polite way and demonstrate he already tried to find by himself at least a bit.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Opulon ().

• Teburu wrote:

Do what I do then, I mate a couple of notepad files (Game hints for noobs) I just copy and paste into the discussion.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Teburu wrote:

Do what I do then, I mate a couple of notepad files (Game hints for noobs) I just copy and paste into the discussion.
      fuck that; I'm writing a proper guide
      You want advice? drops 20 pages of google doc on you
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Teburu wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Teburu wrote:

fuck that; I'm writing a proper guideYou want advice? drops 20 pages of google doc on you
      I'd love a link to that guide!
      The KING of CoN News!!!