Game imagery is all white men, except insurgents. Not a woman anywhere :(

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Game imagery is all white men, except insurgents. Not a woman anywhere :(

That the only non-whites depicted are insurgents is pretty fucked up. ||

I get the male emphasis, but it would be nice if Dorado caught up with the times, and even better, was a positive influence on the community.

I experience plenty of both casual and hostile sexism and racism in gaming. Everyone's responsible. There is no excuse for being complicit unless you are a racist or sexist.

Or if the zeitgeist of Dorado and this community is in fact white male supremacist, just say so and I'll shut the fuck up and go elsewhere.
  • Brooklyn Babe wrote:

That the only non-whites depicted are insurgents is pretty fucked up. ||

I get the male emphasis, but it would be nice if Dorado caught up with the times, and even better, was a positive influence on the community.

I experience plenty of both casual and hostile sexism and racism in gaming. Everyone's responsible. There is no excuse for being complicit unless you are a racist or sexist.

Or if the zeitgeist of Dorado and this community is in fact white male supremacist, just say so and I'll shut the fuck up and go elsewhere.

I can see you're the one creating racism here

If a white extremist harassed you because of your skin color you should either ignore his bullshit thoughts or give him what he deserves

Don't EVER be ashamed of uniqueness and always remember you're beautiful the way you're

Hope it helped

• Brooklyn Babe wrote:

_dany20_ wrote:

I can see you're the one creating racism here

Hope it helped
    Helpful? Are you serious?
    You're saying a person who calls out racism is creating racism? You're saying a person is racist if they point out a design that promotes racism?

Not helpful. But arrogant, insensitive and flat out nonsense.
    lol I'm sorry dude I didn't read your thread clearly and I kinda understood it the wrong way

And ye lots of online games favor men over women especially in millitary stuff and it's that way because male militants are way more dominant than women

Speaking of white- black racism in this game, I think the millitary officers' are all light skinned because this game is mainly sponsored in Europe and the US where this kind of racism is happening

Anyways I would love and support the idea of adding more varietiness to CON such as women and dark skinned officers

And I'm sorry again for the misunderstanding, hope it didn't offend you anyway
  • Don't you have any real problems to be concerned about rather then bringing racism onto the forums? Most people white or black don't give two shits about what color the avatar is. I'm guessing mine isn't black enough? Or I'm I a racism for even saying that? I'll give you one piece of advise there's more to life then arbitrarily calling people racist for no good reason.

You probably need a job to be honest.

Vote for Trump.
  • While i agree from a general point of view (it's unarguable that we don't have female figures in the game, even if i thought there were some officers that were female), my main problem is : "well, what could be possibly changed ?".

I'm willing to hear your opinion about that because the most "individually specific" things we have in the game are officers. They are the only one that could be modified to include more racial, ethnic, and gender variety. As the majority of players do not really care (an air officer is important for its stats, i wouldn't care if it was kermit the frog), it wouldn't be outrageous to enrich those icons.

It's however pretty limited. If anything, the three doctrines (Russian-European-US) do not cry outright "feminized military", nor "non-white". At the distance we observe them on the map, they are barely lemmings, and the ony "skin" they have is their armor and helmets.

Dorado does not indulge in white supremacism or male supremacism or this kind of things, but i must admit that i lack operational ideas that could "snap" like "oh yeah, of course !"

Now, it's true that a niche game like CoN appeals mostly to a male audience, but as long the business isn't jeopardised, it' doesn't cost much and is a good practice to create positive symbols.

Cheers.

Oh, and remember people from both sides. We are not on Twitter :) . Civil conversations, even rooted in disagreement, can happen, and we can spare ourselves what unavoidably happens on Twitter : spiralling into ideological ranged battle.
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • Good Lord!

I never even noticed any figures male, female, black, white, or Kzinti. (except the officer pics) That you did, seems like you were just looking to be outraged.

Maybe just do away with any people depictions altogether, would that make you happy? Or use stick figures.
    *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
    The KING of CoN News!!!
    The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
  • Hold your horses folks. @Brooklyn Babe raised a valid point here and I do believe I should answer openly and truthfully.
    When we set out with CON we literally were a handful of devs creating assets like crazy - and didn't consider stuff such as race, gender etc. - especially not when we were taking shots of our third party 3D models, the base for the infantry pictures.
    Once we noticed, our hope was that the tiny nature of the units / pictures was actually neutralizing gender and race/skincolor. I honestly still couldn't say for some of them what ethnicity or gender they are. For others it's more obvious.

This said, we somewhat rectified this with our officers - which are not all white (or Caucasian as the Americans say for some odd reason), so there we already tried to alleviate the issue. Indeed we actually also had female officers ready for integration, but had to ditch the effort for technical reasons with the sound system.
    Could we have fixed / recoded the system? Yes of course. But it would have taken quite a bit of time and effort - while we were desperate to get the feature out - for obvious reasons.

I hope I explained the realities of making games on a shoestring and half, while assuring that no mal-intent whatsoever was behind the steps described above.
    "Going to war without France is like going hunting without an accordion." Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf
  • Germanico wrote:

Hold your horses folks. @Brooklyn Babe raised a valid point here and I do believe I should answer openly and truthfully.
    When we set out with CON we literally were a handful of devs creating assets like crazy - and didn't consider stuff such as race, gender etc. - especially not when we were taking shots of our third party 3D models, the base for the infantry pictures.
    Once we noticed, our hope was that the tiny nature of the units / pictures was actually neutralizing gender and race/skincolor. I honestly still couldn't say for some of them what ethnicity or gender they are. For others it's more obvious.

This said, we somewhat rectified this with our officers - which are not all white (or Caucasian as the Americans say for some odd reason), so there we already tried to alleviate the issue. Indeed we actually also had female officers ready for integration, but had to ditch the effort for technical reasons with the sound system.
    Could we have fixed / recoded the system? Yes of course. But it would have taken quite a bit of time and effort - while we were desperate to get the feature out - for obvious reasons.

I hope I explained the realities of making games on a shoestring and half, while assuring that no mal-intent whatsoever was behind the steps described above.
    I agree that. There has too much Macho's, i support Female Officers idea.

I wonder? changed officer unit list or created own female officer unit list?
    Guns are always loaded.