Is water wet

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Is water wet

Answer taken from the class chat

Display Spoiler

Let's answer “what is water”?

Water is a state of matter called a liquid and chemical that embodies most of the planet earth and in the lives of organisms at high ratios, that moves freely and takes on any form. Water can not move everywhere because it's chemical properties and therefore instead, slides past each other. Water can be in 3 forms of matter called “states of matter". The 3 states are ice; a solid state reached by a temperature equated to zero degrees Celsius, liquid; base of water commonly found in and at room temperature, and gas; state of matter requires water's liquid form to be boiled at one hundred degrees Celsius.

Water's chemical property are stated to the formula “H2O". These bonds are hydrogen (2 atoms)and Oxygen (1 atom). Water is cohesive and therefore the forces hold each others bond but barely, making them a liquid and formerly found as a liquid at “liveable” temperatures. But at temperatures that aren't comfortably liveable for life (besides organisms that have adapted to such extreme temperatures) it is found as ice to dry ice and gas to plasma. When these particles become too differential, the product of condition would not be stated as “water” until it is back to room temperatures. Because of this fact, I will use liquid form of water to answer this question vs. Ice, gas, and plasma states that are too close to a different element and property. Water can and will disperse into the air if the chemical bonds loosen by heat described as “vapour".

Now let's get to know “what is wetness”?

Synonym to moist and humid content, wetness is the description of something being covered by a liquid. The effect of being “wet” must be applied by a liquid. “Wet” is a state of being covered sensationally by a liquid. When something is wet, it is either, a) covered by a liquid, b) moist or humid content gives off a “wet" sensation, or c) it is or described as a liquid of it’s state of being, a.k.a, the liquid/state of matter, is described as “moist, humid, or sensationally in a free moving state”, that is common interpreted in as a liquid being “wet"; liquid matter that gives off it’s free moving sensation.

Now water is susceptible to heat. One would say that because water stand still feels normal and not wet because of presumably the feelings interpreted. But I have done some running around the internet and found that because of the laws of science and logic. Water not being wet would be described as inaccurate. When we feel water, water is fact painfully cold, cold, lukewarm, hot, and scorching. Meaning this gives off a misnomer of “wet" being a illusion instead but this is also not the case. Water at a molecule isn't wet and isn't even a liquid nor behave like a liquid. Water would actually be described as a “cohesive gas” that is chemically too “dense" to disperse as one. Same as oil, water is denser but oil still takes the place as a liquid simply because it is cohesive, but mind you there is a deeper understanding for this concept, but I'm not here to write a book. H2O is in fact a gases that are bonded to make water, as you note, found broken down, you can see there the lightest of gases but oddly denser than oil? It' because the chemical bonding makes it denser and it's also due to the simple fact water is more susceptible to heat transfer and add higher densities equates to it being cold. If water was found hot, it would actually start to be lighter then oil but oil particles turn to gas faster then water due to this fact. Remember water is found cold, meaning at low heat(using this term because there isn't a such thing as coldness, only low heat, and lowest form of heat because heat transfer is in one direction), which also means, it' closer to it’s first state of matter, and it also means the particles are lighter but more denser. We know this because ice is a solid and a oil is a light liquid and ice and oil gives of the same property of being lighter but water gets lighter when close but it also means its packing tightly before hand which also means that before water becomes ice, it is at it’s densest state before becoming light. How? Simply because it hasn't reached the point of freezing which spreads the particles when being froze but since it's still not at peak , it simply becomes very dense versus it being hot and closer to being the state of vapour. (When putting your hand above vapour, it feels moist and “oily" as if you put on lotion which is a oil. Just something you should note or try) So by all means, this would lead us to the answer of water not being wet and can get wet at simple forms. But it also means that water is wet and is even a liquid even if it doesn't behave like one, it is in fact, wet, because it is sticking and being of action, “getting wet". And since it is already wet, it can't get wet or wetter because it has already interacted at a molecular level or but not atomically because it still originated as a gas. We can prove this logically by using a different element such as fire. Fire can't catch on fire because it is already fire is the same as water can't get wet because it is already wet. To simply say, water isn't wet is illogical because at a molecular level, water is cohesive and each object in the whole world is reacting already by the forces called gravity which also plays a role and it wouldn't make any, if at all, no sense to say, “water isn't wet but is able to wet other things without being “wet" itself”. We as a people would have to change the meaning of what water “actually is", if it doesn't behave as a liquid and should be a sub-category of matter. Therefore the real best answer is to say wetness is the property of water that describes it’s “cohesiveness” property to other parts of matter. It's sensation should be lightly “sticky" or cohesive and described as a freeless and slippery solid that moves like the air and of course, isn't like the air. We can hold solids but not the air. We can hold liquids and it sticks to you. Not all liquids have this cohesive force, making it not wet. By a molecular level, pouring water on water would get it wet because wetness is the property of water that is cohesive to each other and is a interaction between matter and this property gives off a sensation called “wetness".

Summary:

“Wetness is the property of water or any liquid with a certain cohesive force it gives off and it's ability to get/give other forms of matter it’s property of being wet by sticking on it. Water is not wet unless in volume and isn't even a liquid or at least, behave like one, unless in volume. Water can't get other forms of matter wet without being in volume and water in volume can't get wetter because it is already wet by becoming wet".

Alternatively a shorter answer is; "Water isn't wet by itself, but it makes other materials wet when it sticks to the surface of them."

If you have any questions I can ask
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • "Alternatively a shorter answer is; "Water isn't wet by itself, but it makes other materials wet when it sticks to the surface of them.""

I was only able to get so far into the long version because of horrible errors like "Water is a state of matter called a liquid and chemical that embodies most of the planet earth" - INCORRECT, water accounts for only about 0.02% of our planet's total mass.

and "and gas; state of matter requires water's liquid form to be boiled at one hundred degrees Celsius." - INCORRECT, water can be rendered a gas by atomization, producing water vapor. Both heated water and water vapor are gasses, but water vapor does not require heating to 100C

I could go on.

Now, to address the short answer:
      Since water sticks to itself, it is itself, wet.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • I take no responsibility for any errors in the long answer
      Granted, that particular answer was so long nobody bothered to try and search through for issues

Dealer of Death wrote:

Since water sticks to itself, it is itself, wet
      I think that if water sticks to itself, it will just be water
      And since it will become water by itself, and water by itself can't be wet, then water that sticks to itself can't be wet since it will just be water
      Just my opinion though
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • 737373elj wrote:

I take no responsibility for any errors in the long answer
      Granted, that particular answer was so long nobody bothered to try and search through for issues

Dealer of Death wrote:

Since water sticks to itself, it is itself, wet
      I think that if water sticks to itself, it will just be waterAnd since it will become water by itself, and water by itself can't be wet, then water that sticks to itself can't be wet since it will just be water
      Just my opinion though
      You are mixing 2 different properties as you defined them, just to avoid the fact that water is wet. The property assigned by you (or your class) is that it makes things wet when it sticks to them. It sticks to itself, therefore any quantity of water is wet. It seems silly to say water makes everything in the universe (hyperbole) wet when it sticks to it with the exception OF water.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Jemandanderes wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if this also means something like fog, but if it does, it's not gaseous, It's still liqiud but bounded to the air. But under very low pressure it would also become gaseous.
      Actually, no. If you check the physics definition, both steam and water vapor are classified as gasses despite their very different formation and structure.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Jemandanderes wrote:

I'm not entirely sure if this also means something like fog, but if it does, it's not gaseous, It's still liqiud but bounded to the air. But under very low pressure it would also become gaseous.
      Actually, no. If you check the physics definition, both steam and water vapor are classified as gasses despite their very different formation and structure
      You're right, vapor is not fog and is gaseous. I am not a native English speaker and therefore didn't know what vapor means.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Rozne Eltobliv wrote:

Another one : is Hydrogen an alkali ?
      NO.

Since acids are acidic = proton donors, and therefore oxidizing agents, and exists at STP (for purposes of our world) as H2, and enters into non aqueous reactions in that form, it's dissociation, is going to be as ionized Hydrogen (H-) and a proton (H+) which might lead you to believe it is both, but positively charged Hydrogen IS a proton and is what is donated by the negatively charged Ionized Hydrogen in the definition of an acid as a proton donor, then (H+) is considered for the purposes of the definition as the proton that is donated, and not as hydrogen, making hydrogen in what we are talking about in this definition, that proton donor, and thus an acid, the opposite of an alkali.
      The KING of CoN News!!!