Dear Dealer of Death,... (Alternate title: Ask DoD)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dear Dealer of Death,... (Alternate title: Ask DoD)

First of all, ... DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A MODERATOR OR IN ANY WAY AFFILIATED WITH CoN, BYTRO OR DORADO GAMES EXCEPT INSOFAR AS I PLAY THEIR GAME JUST LIKE YOU (Well, maybe not just like you, like you, but better than most of you :P ... joking, joking)

OK, now that is out of the way, what is the purpose of this thread? I'm glad I asked that. The purpose of this thread is for newer players to ask me anything about the game, and for me to give a hopefully informative, and correct reply. OR a reply that is so bad, the real experts haunting this forum like [REDACTED] will feel compelled to post here and correct me for your benefit whereas they might not feel inclined to reply to a noob otherwise. Just try to keep it to CoN, trust me, you don't want my advice on combining water skiing and knitting.

Go!

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• A Quick Heads-Up: if I really don't have any idea the answer to your question, I will tell you:
      I DON'T KNOW

or

If you see me using This here green font, (I hate Green) it means I'm being sarcastic for some reason, possibly because the question was just asked above in the thread.

The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• 737373elj wrote:

This kinda seems like a useless thread
      Probably, but then I sometimes think, all my threads are.

The KING of CoN News!!!

• Eltosliv wrote:

I want to ask.

Is mobile artillery how much helpful?
      As far as artillery goes, it's the next best after MRLS and Railguns, BUT it doesn't need Electronics, so it can be useful if the rest of your builds are sucking up electronics. Now that the MRLs have been nerfed it's just as fast, but still outranged.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Alrighty sir, to encourage this thread and pick your brain a little, I shall add a question of my own.

Do you ever research two (or more) of the same unit type? To put that more specifically: do you make mobile AA and SAMs? Towed arty with MRLS?

The scenario that I always come across this and land on the fence somewhere is my artillery unit research. I believe (even after nerf) in the MRLS as the workhorse of my army. However, I often am waiting until day 10-12 until I am realistically able to mobilize MRLS out of a lvl 4 army base. That is a long time to wait for my main damage dealer on the ground. So, do I make towed arty on day 2 and mobilize them until MRLS arrive? I hate to research a unit that I am just going to phase out anyways, especially in the early days of a game when research slots are pivotal in the makeup of one's army.

Could you (would you (DO YOU)) mobilize a cheaper unit to be the placeholder of the stronger unit?
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • MicahWill wrote:

Alrighty sir, to encourage this thread and pick your brain a little, I shall add a question of my own.

Do you ever research two (or more) of the same unit type? To put that more specifically: do you make mobile AA and SAMs? Towed arty with MRLS?

The scenario that I always come across this and land on the fence somewhere is my artillery unit research. I believe (even after nerf) in the MRLS as the workhorse of my army. However, I often am waiting until day 10-12 until I am realistically able to mobilize MRLS out of a lvl 4 army base. That is a long time to wait for my main damage dealer on the ground. So, do I make towed arty on day 2 and mobilize them until MRLS arrive? I hate to research a unit that I am just going to phase out anyways, especially in the early days of a game when research slots are pivotal in the makeup of one's army.

Could you (would you (DO YOU)) mobilize a cheaper unit to be the placeholder of the stronger unit?
      Interesting you should cite that choice. Because the answer is yes, yes I have done exactly that. Researched towed artillery while waiting for MRLS to become available and get the necessary buildings built to make them.

BUT

It is a rare thing for me to do. I don't do it if I'm an island nation, or if I have many seaports. In that case I use destroyers or Frigates to fill the artillery void. However, if I'm landlocked or have a lot of mountain terrain like Norway, you bet your sweet azz I do. After all, once I have MRLs, I can leave them in strategic mountain spots.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Eltosliv wrote:

I want to ask.

As far as artillery goes, it's the next best after MRLS and Railguns, BUT it doesn't need Electronics, so it can be useful if the rest of your builds are sucking up electronics. Now that the MRLs have been nerfed it's just as fast, but still outranged.
      Mobile Artillry sucks...to long till you can airlift...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Eltosliv wrote:

I want to ask.

Yeah, I hate that too, but if you are a small landlocked country, it may not be a big disadvantage.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

kurtvonstein wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Eltosliv wrote:

I want to ask.

Yeah, I hate that too, but if you are a small landlocked country, it may not be a big disadvantage.
      Wrong assumptiom; First small. Second landlocked...

Doing mountain area i still prefer Helicopters...at least in public...to easy infantry kills while your artillery is to slow to cover a a big area...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

kurtvonstein wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Eltosliv wrote:

I want to ask.

Wrong assumptiom; First small. Second landlocked...
      Doing mountain area i still prefer Helicopters...at least in public...to easy infantry kills while your artillery is to slow to cover a a big area...
      Actually, no, and no. 1st, I said useful for small countries because the lack of being able to airlift has less proportional disadvantage. 2nd, I said useful for landlocked because for ready sea access countries, Frigates and Destroyers are a better option. AND of course Helos are massively useful everywhere especially mountains, but I wasn't talking exclusively mountain, but landlocked, and if we are talking artillery, and you are electronics poor in a small landlocked country, MA is not a bad choice.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Second Cannae wrote:

Hello Dealer of Death!
      I have been knocking down transport planes with frigates... do you know what unit that would count as for my statistics?
      It would count as whatever unit was contained in the transport.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

kurtvonstein wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

kurtvonstein wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Eltosliv wrote:

I want to ask.

Wrong assumptiom; First small. Second landlocked...Doing mountain area i still prefer Helicopters...at least in public...to easy infantry kills while your artillery is to slow to cover a a big area...
      Actually, no, and no. 1st, I said useful for small countries because the lack of being able to airlift has less proportional disadvantage. 2nd, I said useful for landlocked because for ready sea access countries, Frigates and Destroyers are a better option. AND of course Helos are massively useful everywhere especially mountains, but I wasn't talking exclusively mountain, but landlocked, and if we are talking artillery, and you are electronics poor in a small landlocked country, MA is not a bad choice.
      You did get my point....I was refering to the boasting mentality so thats why the attributes: small country and landlocked would never apply to my dominion...
    • My questions :D you're welcome!

1. Hypothetically, you are facing an opponent who understands the mechanics of the game. They are running the typical meta strategy for land combat: MRLS, AA, ASF, and radar (maybe with a crv just for specops :P ). Assuming they are almost constantly active. How would you win this fight?

2. Which unit is the worst and why?

3. The CON community has a deep culture of flaming MBT users. Reflect on a thought or experience that makes you genuinely want to roast people for using MBT.

4. Is water wet?

5. Describe a problem you’ve encountered and would like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a gamebreaking bug, an ethical dilemma — anything of importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to your combat abilities or gameplay experience and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
    • yzjqx wrote:

My questions :D you're welcome!

1. Hypothetically, you are facing an opponent who understands the mechanics of the game. They are running the typical meta strategy for land combat: MRLS, AA, ASF, and radar (maybe with a crv just for specops :P ). Assuming they are almost constantly active. How would you win this fight?

2. Which unit is the worst and why?

3. The CON community has a deep culture of flaming MBT users. Reflect on a thought or experience that makes you genuinely want to roast people for using MBT.

4. Is water wet?

5. Describe a problem you’ve encountered and would like to solve. It can be an intellectual challenge, a gamebreaking bug, an ethical dilemma — anything of importance, no matter the scale. Explain its significance to your combat abilities or gameplay experience and what steps you took or could be taken to identify a solution.
      1. So, likely then this will just devolve into meta vs meta. I will attempt to outmaneuver using terrain and lay traps. Maybe I might even get lucky and time a ballistic missile hit right.

2. Naval AWACS - completely redundant - an entire line whose sole bonus is : Can land on an expensive carrier

3. I try not to roast people for it, tho I have, mainly because I play as I would want to conduct a real war, FIRST obtain Air Supremacy ... and the MBT has no air defense, so ... - Plus I may roast a bit to discourage noobs from becoming enamored with them so they don't experience a house of cards collapse when they fail them for the first time against a human.

4. Of course, it is self wetting.

5. What is this a job interview? The problem I've most encountered and would love to be able to solve the most is: How can the amount of people who defect and go inactive be drastically reduced. Sadly, I have no good solutions so far. The best I have been able to do, is help new people in the game and keep them interested, one player at a time. In application to my own skills, I feel I must continually improve them in order to be able to provide this service. So I spend a lot of time IN Game micromanaging.

The KING of CoN News!!!

• Rozne Eltobliv wrote:

My question may seem stupid but ..

I build army bases in all the cities as the first building unless I am some island nation. After building them, I have two options:- either build arms industries or recruiting offices (assuming that I have only 5 cities ). What is more useful?
      First of all, I think building Army bases in ALL of your cities, especially right off, is a bad idea. It is a horrible idea if you are running European doctrine. Because managing resources is a huge portion of the game, you want your cities specialized (Navy/Air/Ground) and therefore your buildings in each specialized. - Now, let's segway into the second part of your question. If you are doing the Euro doctrine or plan on doing the NG spam, your next move would be Recruit offices in all your cities. Unlike Army bases in all your cities this has a twofold purpose: 1 allow NG spam, 2 assure no manpower shortages. Still if doing neither of these you will want to build some, especially because lvl 1 is a quick build, BUT Arms Industries - the most massively important building the rest of the game. The sooner you build them, the more total resources you will have gotten from them by game's end. So, whenever possible at least 1 of your homeland cities should always be building an Arms industry at least until level 3.

The KING of CoN News!!!