Dear Dealer of Death,... (Alternate title: Ask DoD)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Shahwa wrote:

Thanks for this thread, my question.

What is needed to defend against ballistic attacks?

My reason for asking - I have made it to late game and of the 4 major powers 2 have had their homeland wiped by missile attacks. I would like to avoid this.
      TDS, Theater Defense Systems. While many units : SAMs, AA, T2Railguns, Frigates, Cruisers ... offer SOME air protection from missile, unless you have a pile of them, the only way to defend ballistic missiles is with a TDS. Be sure to check how many hit points (in missiles) they protect against, because frequently you will find you need more than 1/city to ensure protection. Although if your cities are close together, you may be able to overlap them. But remember, you need a level 5 Army Base to build them so get cracking!

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

First of all, ... DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A MODERATOR OR IN ANY WAY AFFILIATED WITH CoN, BYTRO OR DORADO GAMES EXCEPT INSOFAR AS I PLAY THEIR GAME JUST LIKE YOU (Well, maybe not just like you, like you, but better than most of you :P ... joking, joking)

OK, now that is out of the way, what is the purpose of this thread? I'm glad I asked that. The purpose of this thread is for newer players to ask me anything about the game, and for me to give a hopefully informative, and correct reply. OR a reply that is so bad, the real experts haunting this forum like [REDACTED] will feel compelled to post here and correct me for your benefit whereas they might not feel inclined to reply to a noob otherwise. Just try to keep it to CoN, trust me, you don't want my advice on combining water skiing and knitting.

Go!

If a starting level ballistic is fired to one of my cities, which is protected by a starting level Theater Defense System, how will the scenario play out? The missile has 15 HP with a conventional warhead of 1 HP and my TDS damage would be 12 HP. So will the loss of the HP of that incoming missile affect its damage capacity? Or will it hit the same as it would? And what if I also had a Mobile SAM Launcher? Please explain it to me as detailed as you can.

The post was edited 2 times, last by General SRM ().

• General SRM wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

First of all, ... DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A MODERATOR OR IN ANY WAY AFFILIATED WITH CoN, BYTRO OR DORADO GAMES EXCEPT INSOFAR AS I PLAY THEIR GAME JUST LIKE YOU (Well, maybe not just like you, like you, but better than most of you :P ... joking, joking)

OK, now that is out of the way, what is the purpose of this thread? I'm glad I asked that. The purpose of this thread is for newer players to ask me anything about the game, and for me to give a hopefully informative, and correct reply. OR a reply that is so bad, the real experts haunting this forum like [REDACTED] will feel compelled to post here and correct me for your benefit whereas they might not feel inclined to reply to a noob otherwise. Just try to keep it to CoN, trust me, you don't want my advice on combining water skiing and knitting.

Go!

If a starting level ballistic is fired to one of my cities, which is protected by a starting level Theater Defense System, how will the scenario play out? The missile has 15 HP with a conventional warhead of 1 HP and my defense damage would be 12 HP. So will the loss of the HP of that incoming missile affect its damage capacity? Or will it hit the same as it would? And what if I also had a Mobile SAM Launcher? Please explain it to me as detailed as you can.
      The BM will be destroyed as lvl 1 TDS does 12 hp of damage on it's AA tick and 12 hp damage on point defense. 24 (defender damage done) > 15 hp (missile hp)

Now if you just had a SAM there, the missile is still going to hit and do damage. 4 (defender damage done) < 15 hp (missile hp) - so, most of the damage - tho I can't tell you how much as I don't know the formula and there is a random number generator involved
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Teburu wrote:

that is assuming that the missile gets hit by the offensive aa tick; with how fast missiles are thats not really reliable

about missile dmg: iirc its proportional to unit HP with it being a minimum of 50%
      Yeah, I was going to mention the tick, probably should have, but in my own experience, my TDS has gotten them with it about 90% of the time
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Im On Smoko wrote:

Why do so many noobs play Battle Ground USA & Flashpoint, who which then abandon the game for AI to take over?
      Why do noobs play those maps? - Those are the only maps offered to play when you join

Why do they abandon them - because you touch yourself
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Teburu wrote:

that is assuming that the missile gets hit by the offensive aa tick; with how fast missiles are thats not really reliable

about missile dmg: iirc its proportional to unit HP with it being a minimum of 50%
      @Dealer of Death, @Teburu Thanks for your help. Have some further questions. Why you guys said that both AA and PD will work? Shouldn't that just be PD? And what is the problem about the speed? TDS are made to match those speeds, right? And what if, say, two missiles are fired? The AA will work or go to cooldown? And what about the proportion to the unit HP?

Sorry, it was a lots of questions but I am really confused...
    • PErhabs his helps to understand :AA will fire either:
      Every 10 min when a unit inters attakc range or
      when the unit itself gets attacked.

So some smart players to attack with a cheap disposable unit to trigger AA and then they have 10 min where the unit can only defend with PD und they bring in the real damage dealer.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

PErhabs his helps to understand :AA will fire either:

So some smart players to attack with a cheap disposable unit to trigger AA and then they have 10 min where the unit can only defend with PD und they bring in the real damage dealer.
      So every time the TDS unit is attacked, PD will work. But will AA work every time? Or that is included in a cooldown?? And the first missile will be countered with both AA and PD meaning double defense kinda? And will the speed of missile be a problem?
    • General SRM wrote:

kurtvonstein wrote:

So every time the TDS unit is attacked, PD will work. But will AA work every time? Or that is included in a cooldown?? And the first missile will be countered with both AA and PD meaning double defense kinda? And will the speed of missile be a problem?
      Let me DM you.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• kurtvonstein wrote:

No, they do not attack anymore to defend themselves, only to defend others. In direct combat only Point Defense get applied.
    • Teburu wrote:

True that ... only time I got hit with a icbm nuke. I bought gold when it was coming in and built up AA units real fast that I thought would take it down. I had them outside city but overlapping protection of city to also cover nearby city. they all fired after nuke went off... thanks alot guys, it was like a grand finale of fireworks but a few seconds too late ;)
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

Teburu wrote:

True that ... only time I got hit with a icbm nuke. I bought gold when it was coming in and built up AA units real fast that I thought would take it down. I had them outside city but overlapping protection of city to also cover nearby city. they all fired after nuke went off... thanks alot guys, it was like a grand finale of fireworks but a few seconds too late ;)
      It seems like they fired to defend the city, but they were not strong enough to take down the nuke completely, so they only lowered the potential damage of the nuke
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Teburu wrote:

It seems like they fired to defend the city, but they were not strong enough to take down the nuke completely, so they only lowered the potential damage of the nuke
      No they went off at impact. like the blast triggered them.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp