Dear Dealer of Death,... (Alternate title: Ask DoD)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I guess I must be the only player who uses Reconnaissance units to do reconnaissance?

Like the rest of you I have discovered that they don't help much during Air or Naval battles ;) , and that if I want to destroy a tank or a big stack of enemies, there are some other units that are better suited for those jobs ;) , but I have to admit, I do find them just a little bit useful to have around I want to do reconnaissance (and my UAV is elsewhere) or sit on a freshly captured city.

So...

Dear DoD,

Is knowing what's around me mostly unimportant?

Is there a better ground unit to use to reveal what's around me?

KFG
    • KFGauss wrote:

I guess I must be the only player who uses Reconnaissance units to do reconnaissance?

Like the rest of you I have discovered that they don't help much during Air or Naval battles ;) , and that if I want to destroy a tank or a big stack of enemies, there are some other units that are better suited for those jobs ;) , but I have to admit, I do find them just a little bit useful to have around I want to do reconnaissance (and my UAV is elsewhere) or sit on a freshly captured city.

So...

Dear DoD,

K
      specops/uav are actually way better for that
      ofc uav is not a ground unit; but tbh the movement speed of ground units really does not make them suitable scouts
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • KFGauss wrote:

So...

Dear DoD,

KFG
      That's why I said I'm going full bore to as many ASFs as possible during the early game. I don't need to know EXACT compositions at that point. Just if it's infantry, artillery, or armor(which is most likely recon vehicle at that point) So I know what's around me without building land corvettes(rcvs), even if it isn't exactly. Later in the game, there are better units.

EDIT: In case I wasn't clear, the ASFs job early on is to find out what is around me, or approaching.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD

The post was edited 1 time, last by Dealer of Death ().

• Pentabuksus2 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.
      In my latest thought experiment (haven't tried it yet) I was thinking a combination of TD's with Marines to clear cities. Both have city bonuses. Of course backed up by support against air etc.
      How could that work out?
      it would make getting a lot of tds + marines stacks fucking tedious because you need ports for marines, and most countries don’t have that many
      also from my experience most fighting actually happens outside of cities (except maybe the first couple days but thats not the point)
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • Pentabuksus2 wrote:

Thanks for all the replies.
      In my latest thought experiment (haven't tried it yet) I was thinking a combination of TD's with Marines to clear cities. Both have city bonuses. Of course backed up by support against air etc.
      How could that work out?
      Once you went through the hassle of producing TD and Marine units then it would be a fairly viable option in assaulting cities, just beware that your *Defense* against infantry will be pitiful.
    • Tom_Cruise wrote:

By which day do you gents typically have your TD's ready by?

It does take a far bit of resources and effort to upgrade to army base 2 and research TDs within the opening 14 days when the economy is still growing and resources are scarce.
      TDs ...

2f7.png
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Tom_Cruise wrote:

It does take a far bit of resources and effort to upgrade to army base 2 and research TDs within the opening 14 days when the economy is still growing and resources are scarce.
      Pretty much never. If I go for artillery I prefer AFVs and Recons I normally do not research beyong L1, their job is early game offense and defence, wrecking those infantry spamers and maybe reconning a bit so I don't have to rush blindly into cities.
    • KFGauss wrote:

I guess I must be the only player who uses Reconnaissance units to do reconnaissance?

So...

Dear DoD,

KFG
      Why? Reading daily news i know what enemy has been attacking with. Check out with radar on planes (nerfed it last yr) but can still se if arm; inf; etc.

Based on first strike by ASF stack and amount of damage i get can 90 pct estimate size of force.

I mean I use RCV if have it; just like aty if given .. but not worth research or builds.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Why? Reading daily news i know what enemy has been attacking with. Check out with radar on planes (nerfed it last yr) but can still se if arm; inf; etc.
      Based on first strike by ASF stack and amount of damage i get can 90 pct estimate size of force.

I mean I use RCV if have it; just like aty if given .. but not worth research or builds.
      OK - More power to ya! In the period we've been discussing (the very first days of a public game), I generally like investing in units that pack more offensive punch than ASFs, and I like to keep my one free ASF as healthy as I can, consequently, I don't use it to estimate enemy formations' strengths - But, I understand that you do things differently.

The post was edited 1 time, last by KFGauss ().

• KFGauss wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

Why? Reading daily news i know what enemy has been attacking with. Check out with radar on planes (nerfed it last yr) but can still se if arm; inf; etc.Based on first strike by ASF stack and amount of damage i get can 90 pct estimate size of force.

OK - More power to ya! In the period we've been discussing (the very first days of a public game), I generally like investing in units that pack more offensive punch than ASFs, and I like to keep my one free ASF as healthy as I can, consequently, I don't use it to estimate enemy formations' strengths - But, I understand that you do things differently.
      Im say Air Strike Fighter not Air Supp.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Tom_Cruise wrote:

Pretty much never. If I go for artillery I prefer AFVs and Recons I normally do not research beyong L1, their job is early game offense and defence, wrecking those infantry spamers and maybe reconning a bit so I don't have to rush blindly into cities.
      Towed or mobile?

The free towed artillery unit is a godsend. It helps to soften up targets before sending your infantry in to finish them off, but arty and AFV's are slow and researching and then building them in army base 2 eats up resources in the early stages and I prefer to go with fast, cheap and deadly gunships at that point.
    • Buckeyechamp wrote:

Im say Air Strike Fighter not Air Supp.
      Brother, the convention is ASF=Air Superiority Fighter, and SF=Strike fighter (though some idiots use it for Special Forces), generally special forces are spec ops or SPF.
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• KFGauss wrote:

So...

Dear DoD,

KFG
      Going back to this, I'd say on reflection that recon vehicles aren't really that good at recon. I mean, their view range is not very far. If your enemy has any type of artillery (especially if they have radar as well), your recon is going to be shot to pieces before it gets close enough to tell you anything.

For that reason, Special Forces are much better ground-based scouts because the enemy can't see them - unless they have Recons in their own stack. So I guess you could say that Recons are useful to counter Special Forces. But then again, Special Forces of your own are better at doing that. I suppose CRVs are a little bit cheaper, but that's about all you can say for them.

I think it's worth having a handful of them, and getting them up to L3 for the air-assault capability. But they're not going to make a big difference to whether or not you win a war, I don't think. There are other unit types that super-cede them in pretty much every way.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

most player use ASf in the first days for fightig...which I assume is the stupiest thing to do....i take it as a scout to see where the enemy is advancing...then i put my defender into the right spot...and voila...

information is key...
      Depends HOW you use them ;)
      Bild_2021-09-12_180558.png
      (no air unit killed so far)

Tom_Cruise wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

Tom_Cruise wrote:

Towed or mobile?
      The free towed artillery unit is a godsend. It helps to soften up targets before sending your infantry in to finish them off, but arty and AFV's are slow and researching and then building them in army base 2 eats up resources in the early stages and I prefer to go with fast, cheap and deadly gunships at that point.
      Depends on my mood or if I go with a team from the start. Normally just go for MRL, if I go artillery anyway, though you need at least 2 supply cities to be any kind of effective with that.

Toweds were fun, if they were able to shoot right after landing from air assault, did not touch them in any earnest way since then. They need to get low signature to be any kind of considerable or regain the taken away ability.
    • Never used special forces but seems they have to be micro-managed to avoid running into enemy units. Given they can ID a unit within sight range, is it same range as what a CRV can do?
      What if that enemy unit is moving in your direction, you will get caught and into a battle unless you carefully manage their exfil? And they don't move any faster than a CRV except in mountaineous or jungle regions or unless you start levelling up.