Dear Dealer of Death,... (Alternate title: Ask DoD)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• WalterChang wrote:

KFGauss wrote:

... I do find them just a little bit useful to have around I want to do reconnaissance (and my UAV is elsewhere) or sit on a freshly captured city.
      Going back to this, I'd say on reflection that recon vehicles aren't really that good at recon. I mean, their view range is not very far. If your enemy has ...
      Walter - I think you and I are talking about different times in a game's life. For that reason, once again, I suppose that I need to write better posts.

This time because the original question's context isn't obvious, I suppose I should have included all the Original Poster's info in what I wrote.

The OP asked about ground-based strategies, I offered that I've had decent luck in a couple of public games recently by using my first (not Day 10, not Day 15, not Day 40; Day 1's first) ground troop build cycle to build all CRVs.

<Friendly Mild Rant ON>

A handful of reply-posts or posts added later in the conversation have offered counterpoints that appear to be 99% about the value of CRVs later in the game. More than one of those has quoted my post about a Day 1 tactic.

Generally I have no disagreement with anything written about CRV use in the days beyond roughly days 1 through 4. In those later days, in my few public games, I've generally assigned any CRVs I happen to have handy to background jobs like babysitting newly captured cities (while infantry move on capture provinces), or to poke around in NPC countries or locations far from my UAV(s) current position(s). That has worked out well (and I'm well aware that a handful of public games isn't the same as the accumulated experience of dozens, plus alliance match competitions).

However, I've got to point out that some replies (definitely not just Walter) have quoted my statement(s) about using CRVs on days 1 through maybe Day 4, and then gone on to describe the long term merits of CRVs. Those replies are talking about apples and oranges. Those posts have been interesting, but they've also obscured the original conversation's purpose.

So far I've resisted cluttering DoD's thread by repeatedly pointing out those mismatches between the original question/topic and the replies, but for the moment I feel like trying to sweep back the sea, so I wrote this.

<Friendly Mild Rant OFF>

KFG
    • Tom_Cruise wrote:

Never used special forces but seems they have to be micro-managed to avoid running into enemy units. Given they can ID a unit within sight range, is it same range as what a CRV can do?
      What if that enemy unit is moving in your direction, you will get caught and into a battle unless you carefully manage their exfil? And they don't move any faster than a CRV except in mountaineous or jungle regions or unless you start levelling up.

Against detection, ALWAYS stay in the mountains where you'll get the most sight range *50*.

Also, use an airborne commander with your spec ops, level him to 3 and you'll be blissed out to see the stack stats. Strong strat against air defenses, and wiping out grounded aircraft stacks
    • KFGauss wrote:

I suppose that I need to write better posts.
      Certainly.

But I take your point. I guess I did just use your post as a reference point for adding my own general thoughts on Recons rather than addressing what you were specifically taking about.

For what it's worth, I generally agree with what you've written about the merits of Recon vehicles. And I'd say they remain useful well after the early part of the game, for exactly the purposes you described.
    • GrandInquisitor wrote:

Tom_Cruise wrote:

Never used special forces but seems they have to be micro-managed to avoid running into enemy units. Given they can ID a unit within sight range, is it same range as what a CRV can do?
      What if that enemy unit is moving in your direction, you will get caught and into a battle unless you carefully manage their exfil? And they don't move any faster than a CRV except in mountaineous or jungle regions or unless you start levelling up.
      Against detection, ALWAYS stay in the mountains where you'll get the most sight range *50*.

Also, use an airborne commander with your spec ops, level him to 3 and you'll be blissed out to see the stack stats. Strong strat against air defenses, and wiping out grounded aircraft stacks
      Well you always ahve to consider what else....what else could you do with the resources and the researc time for lvl 3 airborne officer...i would rather have a lvl 3 helicopter pilot...costs roughtly the same...and is mcuh more versatiel then hoping to snatch a MRLin the mountains...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Well you always ahve to consider what else....what else could you do with the resources and the researc time for lvl 3 airborne officer...i would rather have a lvl 3 helicopter pilot...costs roughtly the same...and is mcuh more versatiel then hoping to snatch a MRLin the mountains...
      Helis hunting down MRLS sounds good until you run into a half-intelligent player that covers them with tons of Mobile AA, ASF.

It really just depends on the player's risk assessment and personal preference to determine the worth of resources spent. So meta players going out the wazoo with MRLS, AA, and radar my bet is definitely not on Heli pilots...
    • Exactly.. key to air game is a jaccked up hosptial base.. can fly back 9 units at 4 hp / day nd heal 1.5 units.

But not a fan of choppers.. too slow ... short range and dead in the sky against real air.

Choppers great day 5 but day 20 pretty useless.
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Buckeyechamp wrote:

Exactly.. key to air game is a jaccked up hosptial base.. can fly back 9 units at 4 hp / day nd heal 1.5 units.

But not a fan of choppers.. too slow ... short range and dead in the sky against real air.

Choppers great day 5 but day 20 pretty useless.
      Only if you play badly with them, not to mention that those stealth Elite Chopper are pretty op
      What ever works for you.... I used to like choppers but I'm a pushing pedle to metal guy and barely can build air fields to keep up with 750 mile range. Choppers at 400 miles dont cut it for me.

I start small /strategic location countries and count on building territory fast to keep up with "big boy" countries.

But what ever tools match your style ;)
      "And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him "

aka ...The killer formerly known as BuckeyeChamp
    • if have no problem building cheap airfields. My infantry can loot faster anyway so ita a good time to stop an reconsider your next move instead of expanding to fast. But i must admit. On big maps i tend to build a city with lvl 4 hospital on every continent to keep flight hours low...best is when they heal over night are are replensihed the next morning.

And yes lvl 3 elite helis...ahh I need to listen to Norman again...
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • Bigtallnerd419 wrote:

What would you say are the best countries?
      India, Poland, Australia and S. Africa on WW3 ... Turkey, Cuba, Germany/Poland and Iran on Flashpoint ... California, Florida, on BGUSA
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Colonel Waffles wrote:

Dear Dealer of Death

Would you be in favor of an MRL bufff?
      A MRLS buff is quite intriguing. Maybe make it faster or extend it's range. or BOTH! Yeah, that's the ticket.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • If you had to get rid of one unit and replace it with another (that's totally different), what would you replace, what would you put in it's place, and why?
      "War does not determine who is right; only who is left."

Always strive to be better
      Don't try and be the best
      A better world is always within out fingertips
      But Utopia just causes more stress.