Discussion: Which Country is the Best to Play As?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Discussion: Which Country is the Best to Play As?

Basically what the title says. In your opinions, what is the best country to play? Which one would you rate as having the best all-around advantages?

I just started a game as India and WHOAH! I am loving India! Eight city super-power, only two ports to defend, rivers and mountains provide natural choke points and defense positions. I'm excited to see how well this game plays out, because this is the earliest in a game where I felt secure and in control of my immediate surroundings.
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • MicahWill wrote:

Basically what the title says. In your opinions, what is the best country to play? Which one would you rate as having the best all-around advantages?

I just started a game as India and WHOAH! I am loving India! Eight city super-power, only two ports to defend, rivers and mountains provide natural choke points and defense positions. I'm excited to see how well this game plays out, because this is the earliest in a game where I felt secure and in control of my immediate surroundings.
      I believe it is India ..other than this , I feel like Canada is one . Though it has huge distance between cities , the only possible early-game danger is USA which if becomes ally , you can kill the rest of the continent without feeling a real threat to you . It was my opinion only ...

And Mozambique too . All your neighbours are weaker than you . All you need is an alliance with at least one of them .
    • China the superpower with 9 cities and lot of electronics so you can build any sophisticated weapon.You can easily invade koreas and then mongolia in first few days.
      If you join late then Chad is the best option as it has no naval threat.2 closest neigbors has only 5 cities and are taken by human in the end so you can easily take on of them on day 1.
      I am the best player of this game that was and ever will be
    • I like Brazil with thick jungle and inactive / warring nations all around you. You won’t be picked as a target early on, allowing you to either build up your forces or gatecrash a conflict and take all the spoils. Or you could form a South American coalition and sweep up to North America for early-game big conflicts.
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • 737373elj wrote:

I like Brazil with thick jungle and inactive / warring nations all around you. You won’t be picked as a target early on, allowing you to either build up your forces or gatecrash a conflict and take all the spoils. Or you could form a South American coalition and sweep up to North America for early-game big conflicts.
      coalitions like that are pretty effective . But if Brazil doesn't join a coalition early on , the neighbors will gang up and kill you . Once played Brazil and guess what , it was Argentina Bolivia and Peru attacked me .
    • 737373elj wrote:

I like Brazil with thick jungle and inactive / warring nations all around you. You won’t be picked as a target early on, allowing you to either build up your forces or gatecrash a conflict and take all the spoils. Or you could form a South American coalition and sweep up to North America for early-game big conflicts.
      Those 8 port cities are just so ripe for the invasion lol. I love attacking Brazil from the Atlantic, if you have naval superiority it's a cake walk. And my personal favorite is sailing up the Amazon and landing in Manaus :D .

I guess I am always leery about having many port cities to defend, hence my attachment to India.
    • MicahWill wrote:

737373elj wrote:

Those 8 port cities are just so ripe for the invasion lol. I love attacking Brazil from the Atlantic, if you have naval superiority it's a cake walk. And my personal favorite is sailing up the Amazon and landing in Manaus :D .
      I guess I am always leery about having many port cities to defend, hence my attachment to India.
      If you are Brazil you kind of should go for Navy yourself :D

Why I would never take Brazil if I play solo
    • Kalrakh wrote:

MicahWill wrote:

737373elj wrote:

Those 8 port cities are just so ripe for the invasion lol. I love attacking Brazil from the Atlantic, if you have naval superiority it's a cake walk. And my personal favorite is sailing up the Amazon and landing in Manaus :D .I guess I am always leery about having many port cities to defend, hence my attachment to India.
      If you are Brazil you kind of should go for Navy yourself :D
      Why I would never take Brazil if I play solo
      Obviously, but my point about the being EIGHT homeland port cities means a large portion of my potential navy will be on guard duty.
    • Hey y'all!
      If you ask me, I prefer to play as the United States of America. I like to play this country for many reasons (and I won most of the game when I play as the country!)
      1. 7-10 Cities- Having 10 cities can be vital to success as it produced a large amount of resources and more places to mobilize your forces. Also, the fact that they're located on the coast allows me to expand quicker.
      2. It's my home country-I know that this is biased, but if you're playing as your home country, you would feel a sudden urge to not let it down. I mean, I play competitive with other nations but the fact that I live in the U.S. made me pay more attention and care to it.
      3. The other nations nearby are either weak or inactive most of the time. Easy pickings and buffer zones!
      4. Alaska and Hawaii- Both cities-if the mainland is taking serious damage, you can launch sneak attacks or counterattacks from these locations.
      You can also use them as a depot for reserves.

Of course, it can be a pain in the a**. This is because I need a strong navy and an air force to defend the country successfully. Whenever I lost playing as the nation, it's because I didn't build a navy, had a weak navy, or my naval forces are just crap as I didn't mobilize or upgrade enough of them. Also, if people decide to attack you on both coasts, you'll be in for a serious fight.

In Rising Tides, it's not my favorite as you only get 6 cities and a lot of coastal cities with surrounding neighbors. I'm confused to why they didn't make the US a 7 cities nation like California, Canada, and Quebec. I think that Nashville and Louisville could have been great potentials as a city.
    • I think my attachment to Brazil is because all 8 times I’ve played it I have had decent success and survived all the way to the endgame. In contrast, the only time I played India I lost within a week after the Asian coalition ganged up on me and attacked me from all sides early-game. So yeah I guess I’m biased :D
      Will try out India soon, seeing all the compliments about it it seems like it’s worth a shot
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • for what it's worth... as india, if i'm expanding west... airborn infantry. if i'm conquering to the east... naval infantry.

india's always my first choice when available. if not, something in south america... brazil, colombia, even peru a couple of times.

on the flashpoint maps... Poland (a couple of single-city AIs on your borders to help get you started) US or Russia after that. Russia seems to border countries that are not very attractive to the upper-level players so your main threat will be from boredom as it takes forever to get from one part of the country to another in the early days. With the US, you need enough navy to leave some in defense while the rest sweeps across the coasts of europe. time consuming, but satisfying to try and fill the atlantic ocean with ships.
      Conflict of Nations

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" Malcolm Reynolds
    • In Flashpoint:
      Iran: 4 cities, BUT concentrated and "much map" to the player neighbours = they need much time to reach your cities, so you can manage your defense accordingly.
      You can conzentrate your army fast and take out the nonplayercountries in the north. Then take out Russia or Turkey.

Portugal:
      You have to survive Spain first 3 days. Anything else is a selfrunner.
    • In my not at all humble opinion, colombia is the best country... followed by venezuela (slightly worse). Nice terrain, good balance between landlocked and coastal cities, easy expansions (venezuela, peru, ecuador, latin america and the caribbean islands) .. and ofcourse located in the middle of the americas so not that great of morale reduction in cities (distance to HQ)
      Live as I learn, not as I live