An inappropriate and super biased twitter ad

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Second Cannae wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Just another example of the idiotic notion that people have some sort of right to not be offended.
    I might be reading this wrong... but if you are saying that people should take everything with a grain of salt, then yes, you are absolutely correct. However, I also have the right to take offense. If someone was to start advertising... say, their bathtubs at a funeral where someone drowned in a bathtub, it wouldn't be tactful. Half a million people have died due to Iraqi-related conflicts, not including all civilians, and many more have been displaced.
    If you are saying that it is okay to try to profit off of global conflicts, you might be right. (very unlikely though) However, I am not speaking to that, I'm just wondering, how, with all that CoN has to offer, they came up with this? Now, if Conflict of Nations was a very poorly run game with multiple bugs and glitches, maybe, just maybe, I might be able to understand. But CoN is a high quality game, and deserves as such.

If you are just joking, which I have seen in numerous posts, I am sorry for wasting everyone's time with this post, and I will gladly take this down.
    No, no, no, while I wasn't joking, I didn't mean to imply you don't have a right to be offended, I mean you don't have a right to not be offended. Your offense is YOUR own issue, you need to deal with it. You complain, boycott whatever. The world shouldn't have to change to prevent your offense. And trying to do such things with cancel culture is not the answer when free speech is impinged. While I agree it is in poor taste, I also mean it isn't that big of a deal as well. People need to relax more, and stop foaming at the mouth over petty stuff. That's all.
    *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
    The KING of CoN News!!!
    The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
  • Dealer of Death wrote:

Second Cannae wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Just another example of the idiotic notion that people have some sort of right to not be offended.
    I might be reading this wrong... but if you are saying that people should take everything with a grain of salt, then yes, you are absolutely correct. However, I also have the right to take offense. If someone was to start advertising... say, their bathtubs at a funeral where someone drowned in a bathtub, it wouldn't be tactful. Half a million people have died due to Iraqi-related conflicts, not including all civilians, and many more have been displaced.If you are saying that it is okay to try to profit off of global conflicts, you might be right. (very unlikely though) However, I am not speaking to that, I'm just wondering, how, with all that CoN has to offer, they came up with this? Now, if Conflict of Nations was a very poorly run game with multiple bugs and glitches, maybe, just maybe, I might be able to understand. But CoN is a high quality game, and deserves as such.

If you are just joking, which I have seen in numerous posts, I am sorry for wasting everyone's time with this post, and I will gladly take this down.
    No, no, no, while I wasn't joking, I didn't mean to imply you don't have a right to be offended, I mean you don't have a right to not be offended. Your offense is YOUR own issue, you need to deal with it. You complain, boycott whatever. The world shouldn't have to change to prevent your offense. And trying to do such things with cancel culture is not the answer when free speech is impinged. While I agree it is in poor taste, I also mean it isn't that big of a deal as well. People need to relax more, and stop foaming at the mouth over petty stuff. That's all.
    I can toast to that.
    "Dealer of Death has counted to infinity... twice"
    -Kurtvonstein
  • jct_it wrote:

What does that have to do with this? xD
    elaborate

Why do people these days act like typing a few extra words to make their point clear, will have their fingers fall off?
    The KING of CoN News!!!
    The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

jct_it wrote:

What does that have to do with this? xD
    elaborate
    Why do people these days act like typing a few extra words to make their point clear, will have their fingers fall off?
    I must have skimmed the thread too much, but the ongoing debate had little to do with the original question at hand. And yes, my fingers do hate the mobile version of the forum. 8|
    On the edge, but never extinct.
  • Dealer of Death wrote:

Second Cannae wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I might be reading this wrong... but if you are saying that people should take everything with a grain of salt, then yes, you are absolutely correct. However, I also have the right to take offense. If someone was to start advertising... say, their bathtubs at a funeral where someone drowned in a bathtub, it wouldn't be tactful. Half a million people have died due to Iraqi-related conflicts, not including all civilians, and many more have been displaced.If you are saying that it is okay to try to profit off of global conflicts, you might be right. (very unlikely though) However, I am not speaking to that, I'm just wondering, how, with all that CoN has to offer, they came up with this? Now, if Conflict of Nations was a very poorly run game with multiple bugs and glitches, maybe, just maybe, I might be able to understand. But CoN is a high quality game, and deserves as such.

I usually wouldn't have replied to this thread anymore but after I read your replies I found it essential to clarify some points here

I'm not defending extremism in any way or neither I believe in the conspiracy theory

What I'm talking about here is that everyone should accept and respect other cultures and beliefs and most importantly, there must be boundaries controlling how far rude you can be...

And if you're talking about freedom of speech, democracy and those bullshit stuff

Go to israel and wave the Nazi flag there and lemme know how open- minded and accepting their government is to this act...

I hope you got my point

The post was edited 1 time, last by _dany20_ ().

• _dany20_ wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I usually wouldn't have replied to this thread anymore but after I read your replies I found it essential to clarify some points here
    I'm not defending extremism in any way or neither I believe in the conspiracy theory

What I'm talking about here is that everyone should accept and respect other cultures and beliefs and most importantly, there must be boundaries controlling how far rude you can be...

And if you're talking about freedom of speech, democracy and those bullshit stuff

Go to israel and wave the Nazi flag there and lemme know how open- minded and accepting their government is to this act..

I hope you got my point
    That is censorship, and what is used to suppress the free exchange of ideas.

Freedom of speech is the ideal. It doesn't mean everyone is adult enough to handle opposing opinions, especially those which the person absorbing it allows themselves to become emotionally compromised. But that Freedom is exactly what should be worked towards, not suppression
    because someone's feelz got hurt.

You see because ideally, you should be able to wave that flag in Israel, and everyone immediately realize you are an idiot and dismiss it.
    The KING of CoN News!!!

• Kalrakh wrote:

You see in the US, what happens, if you let those fanatics roam to freely with their hate speech. They pitch themselves into a frenzy.
    No, sorry, that is more a symptom of those people being cancelled and demonized than it is an example of free speech gone amok. Push any group enough and they will exhibit insane behavior. There is no such thing as hate speech, only speech that some people hate. It's not an objective determination either, and setting policy by that subjective standard is wrong.
    The KING of CoN News!!!

• Of course there is hate speech. What do you think, defying people because of their religion, skin colour or sexuality is?

Do you not know what Propaganda is? If enough people spew the same lie, some people will start to belief it and it create a kind of thought echo chamber that intensifies those thought over time.

That is part of what led to the holocaust.

Also what caused the storm on the Capitol. Who pushed them? The insisted on not accepting the facts and believing the lies until the pot exploded.
  • Dealer of Death wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

You see in the US, what happens, if you let those fanatics roam to freely with their hate speech. They pitch themselves into a frenzy.
    No, sorry, that is more a symptom of those people being cancelled and demonized than it is an example of free speech gone amok. Push any group enough and they will exhibit insane behavior. There is no such thing as hate speech, only speech that some people hate. It's not an objective determination either, and setting policy by that subjective standard is wrong.
    I'm going to pull a Dealer of Death here...
    YES there is such thing as hate speech. Denying the fact that such a thing exists is on level with denying... the sun is existent. Whether something is hate speech or not, I will not be the judge, but many, many, extremist groups employ hate speech as a weapon. If you want to argue with me, that is okay, but I don't know if you want to be arguing with the US government (which I assume you are under), the United Nations, and the occasional human rights group.

I do think that this thread has gone on for too long, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I don't think this should be headed toward a political debate. There's social media for that.
    "Dealer of Death has counted to infinity... twice"
    -Kurtvonstein
  • Dealer of Death wrote:

Kalrakh wrote:

"Muslims are terrorists"
    "White people are racist"
    "Jews are greedy and fraudulent"
    "Black people are slaves and retards"

Who said those were ever considered as hate speeches? lol

"If you get offended it's YOUR problem"

Sadly, that's what you believe is true
  • Kalrakh wrote:

Of course there is hate speech. What do you think, defying people because of their religion, skin colour or sexuality is?

Do you not know what Propaganda is? If enough people spew the same lie, some people will start to belief it and it create a kind of thought echo chamber that intensifies those thought over time.

That is part of what led to the holocaust.

Also what caused the storm on the Capitol. Who pushed them? The insisted on not accepting the facts and believing the lies until the pot exploded.
    No, there is not Hate speech. There is speech that people hate, and that includes wrong inflammatory language in regards to aspects of people or their life. The problem is not in the speech, but in the defectiveness in giving that speech power over you to induce irrationality, or compromising you emotionally.

Additionally, just like your Propaganda example, there is no objective definition. People need to learn to control themselves and not claim they are helpless victims of "triggering".

As for what caused the minor capitol invasion (see 1983 for comparison) I would say it was a group of people that were sick of years of villianization by the media and leftists coupled with a belief that an election was fraudulently altered. You act like it is all cut and dried, but just as an example, it is a fact that the Pennsylvania supreme court acted unconstitutionally when it is specifically spelled out that the legislature has the sole authority in elections by changing what was set as the deadline. Personally, I thought it was stupid and counterproductive, and was going to have zero impetus to accomplish anything, their goals or anything they wanted.

However, this is getting out of the realm for what should be here, so please address any further replies to me via DM.
    The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

No, there is not Hate speech. There is speech that people hate, and that includes wrong inflammatory language in regards to aspects of people or their life. The problem is not in the speech, but in the defectiveness in giving that speech power over you to induce irrationality, or compromising you emotionally.

I mean you can say many things, but saying some will get you in jail or at least a fine:
    ·insulting someone
    ·denying the holocaust (even though I don't know how you deal with this in the USA, in Germany that is not protected by free speech
    ·"Volksverhetzung" (hard to translate, but means something like hate speech or incitement of people):
    (I translated by google translator and then put the words in a sequence, that they make sense and convey what was conveyed in German)
    Anyone who, in a manner likely to disturb the public peace,

1. incites hatred or encourages to take violent or arbitrary measures against a

·group, determined by their national, racial, religious or ethnic integrity,

·against parts of the population or

·against an individual because of his or her membership of a specified group or part of the population,

2. Attacks the human dignity of others by insulting, maliciously, contemptuously or slandering

·a specified group,

·parts of the population or

·an individual because of their membership of a specified group or part of the population.

And then I looked up hate speech in other countries and found that:
    "A majority of developed democracies have laws that restrict hate speech, including Australia, Denmark, France, Germany, India, South Africa, Sweden, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom." (source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech)

So hate speech definitely exists, even though you live in the USA where it isn't a crime (and not defined by law).

And please think about the German definition of hate speech: Do you really want, that people say stuff like that, incite hatred or encourage violence or even (just) attack someones dignity?
    a.k.a. jem and and eres
  • He is a free speech fanatic, he hardly cares about german law.

Maybe he should educate himself on stuff like The Third Wave to realise how dangerous to much free speech can be, even more if it affects kids and youth who tend to be even more easily influenced.

Too much of anything is toxic, same reason why completely 'free market' can not work either.