An inappropriate and super biased twitter ad

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• I feel like a better image could be used here... personally, I don't like the political option for my maps. I can understand how it can be hard to market this game... I just feel like, as _dany20_ implied, political or race-based marketing isn't the way to go. I just feel like this game could deserves so much better. (Although I probably couldn't do any better)
    "Dealer of Death has counted to infinity... twice"
    -Kurtvonstein
  • Second Cannae wrote:

I feel like a better image could be used here... personally, I don't like the political option for my maps. I can understand how it can be hard to market this game... I just feel like, as _dany20_ implied, political or race-based marketing isn't the way to go. I just feel like this game could deserves so much better. (Although I probably couldn't do any better)
    Exactly, although I never supported either the current bloody Iranian regime or the hypocritic US democracy but I'm totally against being biased against a specific nation especially when we're talking about the Iranian- US crisis

No one needs to charge conflicts just in order to advertise this game

I thought CON was a WW3 simulator strategy game away from politics...

The post was edited 1 time, last by _dany20_: Fixing some auto- correct mistakes (as usual) ().

• when I was new to the game , I searched about it in Google to know more (from non-official websites) . I came across a webpage which contained "browser game Conflict of Nations posts a controversial post on Twitter" something like this . I'm reading it , I came to know that they advertised themselves on the USA-Iran tensions of thay time . So this thing has already been in a controversy .
  • _dany20_ wrote:

Second Cannae wrote:

I feel like a better image could be used here... personally, I don't like the political option for my maps. I can understand how it can be hard to market this game... I just feel like, as _dany20_ implied, political or race-based marketing isn't the way to go. I just feel like this game could deserves so much better. (Although I probably couldn't do any better)
    Exactly, although I never supported either the current bloody Iranian regime or the hypocritic US democracy but I'm totally against being biased against a specific nation especially when we're talking about the Iranian- US crisis
    No one needs to charge conflicts just on order to advertise this game

if you think of it though, we are being biased, by default. Had the same tweet read 'Sri Lanka starting a war with Australia', nobody would have paid attention, because - after all - it is a war game.

if you think of all of the politically-sensitive issues around the world, there's probably just few, very few cases they could use without touching any sensitivity. And by definition the US couldn't be in that sentence :)

Wait, i got one: Vatican City starts a war with Switzerland! :). mind you, they use Swiss guards in Vatican city, so that would probably be a civil war :)
  • Sgniappo wrote:

_dany20_ wrote:

Second Cannae wrote:

Exactly, although I never supported either the current bloody Iranian regime or the hypocritic US democracy but I'm totally against being biased against a specific nation especially when we're talking about the Iranian- US crisisNo one needs to charge conflicts just on order to advertise this game

if you think of it though, we are being biased, by default. Had the same tweet read 'Sri Lanka starting a war with Australia', nobody would have paid attention, because - after all - it is a war game.
    if you think of all of the politically-sensitive issues around the world, there's probably just few, very few cases they could use without touching any sensitivity. And by definition the US couldn't be in that sentence :)
    Well first of all, this is a long series of quoting. (I feel bad for anyone trying to find my actual reply here :) )

I do think there is bias here, but even if it wasn't the US, and if it was the EU and Iran, or Iraq and Iran, or anything involving a crisis in the Middle East is a very volatile subject. The reason no one would care about Sri Lanka and Australia is because they are partial-allies, and the fact that they would go to war is just... far-fetched, or at the very least, unexpected.

This is a long, rambling post, but, as a US citizen, I would be okay if there was an ad (tweet?) poking fun at US patriotism or the obscene amount of fried food, but you have to see the innate wrongness of this tweet (ad?). I would be okay with anything not dealing with the Middle East, China (Hong Kong, Tibet, Taiwan), Koreas, just anything with tense foreign relations.
    -Kurtvonstein
  • Second Cannae wrote:

Sgniappo wrote:

_dany20_ wrote:

Second Cannae wrote:

Exactly, although I never supported either the current bloody Iranian regime or the hypocritic US democracy but I'm totally against being biased against a specific nation especially when we're talking about the Iranian- US crisisNo one needs to charge conflicts just on order to advertise this game
    if you think of it though, we are being biased, by default. Had the same tweet read 'Sri Lanka starting a war with Australia', nobody would have paid attention, because - after all - it is a war game.if you think of all of the politically-sensitive issues around the world, there's probably just few, very few cases they could use without touching any sensitivity. And by definition the US couldn't be in that sentence :)
    Well first of all, this is a long series of quoting. (I feel bad for anyone trying to find my actual reply here :) )
    I do think there is bias here, but even if it wasn't the US, and if it was the EU and Iran, or Iraq and Iran, or anything involving a crisis in the Middle East is a very volatile subject. The reason no one would care about Sri Lanka and Australia is because they are partial-allies, and the fact that they would go to war is just... far-fetched, or at the very least, unexpected.

This is a long, rambling post, but, as a US citizen, I would be okay if there was an ad (tweet?) poking fun at US patriotism or the obscene amount of fried food, but you have to see the innate wrongness of this tweet (ad?). I would be okay with anything not dealing with the Middle East, China (Hong Kong, Tibet, Taiwan), Koreas, just anything with tense foreign relations.
    lol that's exactly what I meant, couldn't have said it better

Those two situations are totally different, the US already has moved an aircraft carrier back to the arabian gulf and israel just moved a submarine close to that region

Tensions were never those high between the US and Iran and I guess the middle east never asks for another deadly war

You've to believe me, it has gotten enough to deal with already after the US invasion of iraq in 2003, the NATO air strikes in Libya in 2011, the Yemmeni civil war and etc...
  • I always find CONs ads pretty offputting and edgy. If I would see them, I would not start to play it.

I believe I already made a report because of that once.

I would prefer, if they would show they fancy combat anymation instead of those random troop movement which have nothing really to do with the game.

Even more if the Railgun would get a real 'railgun' animation
  • Things like this can be considered offensive in today's society. Even with the current American hostility to Iran, I don't think this was an appropriate choice for a CoN ad.
    "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:

The post was edited 1 time, last by Tifo_14 ().

• Let's remember that those ads are primarly aimed at a very specific audience.

And it works.

I would argue it's less about the political matter, and more about what may attract the interest of a certain population. Sure, it WILL be cringe for 90% of the world, but it's how targeted ads work in the first place.

I mean...

This is how i would advertise for the 15 years old nationalistic autists on the french market.
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • Wanted to say Opulon’s point but he said it much better :D

The other I’m thinking would be for 15yo American nationalists

Although you have to admit there are a lot of teens on this game, so the ads could be having an effect
    Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
  • Opulon wrote:

Let's remember that those ads are primarly aimed at a very specific audience.

And it works.

I would argue it's less about the political matter, and more about what may attract the interest of a certain population. Sure, it WILL be cringe for 90% of the world, but it's how targeted ads work in the first place.

I mean...

This is how i would advertise for the 15 years old nationalistic autists on the french market.

Not sure how well it really works, after all most players drop dead after a few days... Attracting such mayflies probably has more bad long term consequences, because it ruins the game experience for a lot of people and lets the game seem even more boring.

There is a reason, why gamers are sick of commercials with no game play or even fake gameplay in cases of many mobile games.

And please don't use 'autist' to describe such people, being a nationaltistic fanatic is not really an autistic trait in my experience.
  • They can be both :D

Joke apart, here it's base on my business experience, but we underestimate how much it really works, basing ourselves on our own expectations and critical spirit.

You target a niche, and you target it through appealing clichés for this niche. Niches are by design less competitive in terms of bids, less costly in cost per click (while it remains very costly), and easier to generate a ROI.

However, i deeply agree with the other part of your reasoning :

It's effective in Acquisition, but it's very hurtful to long term retention. Everybody that has played the game for a bit more than 4 monthes since the Covid will probably have "a lot of maps except events are utterly boring and empty of human life" as their main problem with the game.

And of course, retention translates into "regular purchases".
    Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
  • Now this said, i will not lie this shared feeling has already been forwarded to our friends at Dorado, and i'm pretty sure they are aware of the problem. Now, How and If it will be considered as viable to tackle as a problem, and when, is another story.
  • Opulon wrote:

Now this said, i will not lie this shared feeling has already been forwarded to our friends at Dorado, and i'm pretty sure they are aware of the problem. Now, How and If it will be considered as viable to tackle as a problem, and when, is another story.
    Agreed.
    "CoN is a game of 80% skill and 20% luck" - Tifo_14

"I don't get paid enough to do anything" - Germanico

Nothing stops the Tifo :thumbup:
  • Opulon wrote:

Now this said, i will not lie this shared feeling has already been forwarded to our friends at Dorado, and i'm pretty sure they are aware of the problem. Now, How and If it will be considered as viable to tackle as a problem, and when, is another story.
    In every way shape and form. And I say this based on experience just like you :)
    On the edge, but never extinct.
  • Dealer of Death wrote:

Just another example of the idiotic notion that people have some sort of right to not be offended.
    I might be reading this wrong... but if you are saying that people should take everything with a grain of salt, then yes, you are absolutely correct. However, I also have the right to take offense. If someone was to start advertising... say, their bathtubs at a funeral where someone drowned in a bathtub, it wouldn't be tactful. Half a million people have died due to Iraqi-related conflicts, not including all civilians, and many more have been displaced.

If you are saying that it is okay to try to profit off of global conflicts, you might be right. (very unlikely though) However, I am not speaking to that, I'm just wondering, how, with all that CoN has to offer, they came up with this? Now, if Conflict of Nations was a very poorly run game with multiple bugs and glitches, maybe, just maybe, I might be able to understand. But CoN is a high quality game, and deserves as such.

If you are just joking, which I have seen in numerous posts, I am sorry for wasting everyone's time with this post, and I will gladly take this down.
    -Kurtvonstein