CruiseMissile & TDS

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CruiseMissile & TDS

Hey everyone, i've got a question. i already searched the forum, but found not the right answer ...

i had a tank-stack of 5 tanks. it was attacked with CRMs (CruiseMissiles) at level 7 ... i had a TDS near by (not in the same stack, but close enough) - at max-level. The stack of fighters enters the range of the TDS and it starts his AA-feature. Then "next AA-attack in 9:59" bla bla .. at this moment the attacking fighter-Stack sends a cruise missile. what does the tds ? nothing ... the missile hits my tanks. that happened 4 times ... tanks gone, TDS had fun ... WTF???
      Is this supposed to work this way? Does it only work, if the TDS is in the same stack? and does it then only use his def-value? if i had 2 SAMs in this stack at max-level, the would not get a cruise-missile down, couse the def-value would only be 11 (2x 5.5) ???
      what to do in this situation?
    • I believe your answer lies in the difference between point-defense and AA envelope. These are the 2 types attacks any AA unit may use.

-AA Envelope: Is what you saw take place. That's the circle that scans every 10 minutes to see if any threats are present in that airspace.

-Point Defense: If an air unit or missile attacks an AA unit (or stack including an AA unit) DIRECTLY, it will ALWAYS be defended against with the defense stat for the threat.

So your TDS would have shot those missiles down if it was in the tank stack.
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • thanks. that's what i feared. so i always have to have a tds unit i my stack to be secure from CRMs ? Even 2 SAMs would not be enough ... Thats outrageous! if i enter a fight with the tds, the tds will down after some attacks ... and then there's no protection? stupid!

so there is no AA-Envelope against CRMs ? only, if the fighter not first enters then envelope and triggers the AA-feature?!
    • 2 Theater Defense systems that are just level 1 will defend against every single missile attack whether it be cruise or ballistic. Another 2 will be required to defend against maximum upgraded ICBM, but who will fire that on your stack? As you can see, missiles are costly and they require something as costly to defend against them. At least they cost supplies so organizing your resources can be possible if you start off the early game right.
    • DerIrrePolterer wrote:

thanks. that's what i feared. so i always have to have a tds unit i my stack to be secure from CRMs ? Even 2 SAMs would not be enough ... Thats outrageous! if i enter a fight with the tds, the tds will down after some attacks ... and then there's no protection? stupid!

so there is no AA-Envelope against CRMs ? only, if the fighter not first enters then envelope and triggers the AA-feature?!
      Well, when dealing with those max level CMs, you could keep TDS stacked with your ground units. But really, your best defense would be to stop/counter whatever they use as a missile delivery unit. If its his fighters, then SAMs and ASFs should hunt them down. Unfortunately, CMs can be fired from many different units, so that put you in a really tight spot.
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • And how exactly does Point-Defense work? Does only the Def-Value counts?
      Example:
      i’m attacked with a CRM with 15 HP. I have a SAM at Level 6 (Attack vs. Missiles = 5,5 / Defense vs. Missiles = 5,5)
      how many SAMs do i need to have in a stack to kill the CrM without losing any HPs ? Is this possible?
      a) If the Attack AND the Defense-Value counts (even if the SAM has been „baited“ and already used his AA-Feature) -> i need 2 SAMs (2x Attack = 11 + 2x Deff = 11 = 22 => Kills missile)
      b) If only the Defense Value counts, i need 3 SAMs (3x 5,5 = 16,5 => Missile is killed)
      And do i take any damage in any of these options?

Thanks!

• Uhm, no

DerIrrePolterer wrote:

11 + 2x Deff = 11
      Also no, except Deff=0, which is isn't

Ok, I'm going stop messing with not really correct math equations and come to the point.

That's what the wiki says for point defense:

"If the stack that your missile is attacking is/contains an anti-air unit, the combat tick is calculated as Point Defense.This means that the anti-air unit will defend itself every time against
      incoming missiles or aircraft, i.e. there is no cool-down."

Because it said "defend" and "Point Defense" and nowhere offense, I assume, that for Point Defense, only the defensive value is used.

That's what the wiki says for AA the Envelope:

"If the stack that your missile is attacking is a unit that is standing within anti-air range, but is not part of the same stack, the combat tick is calculated as AA Envelope. This means that the anti-air unit will go on cool-down before it can defend a close-by unit again."

Even though they don't mention attack or defense in context with the TDS or similar stuff doing it, I assume that here the offensive value is used, because you cannot defend against something, that isn't on directly on top of you(at least in this game).

(wiki site: wiki.conflictnations.com/Comba…ir_vs_Missiles.2FAircraft)
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • so how exactly does this work for example with an ICBM? i have 1 ICBM on max, off = 16, Deff = 16. it's stationed in a city and will be attacked by an ICBM on max (HP = 40).
      1. does the AA-Envelope trigger, when the ICBM enters Radar-Range?
      2. does the PD trigger, when the ICBM hit the city?
      3. will the ICBM be destroyed WITHOUT doing damage?

i would calculate:
      1. AA-Envelope does damage to the ICBM (round about 12 damage)
      2. PD will damage (round about 12 damage)
      -> i would say that this uses Off AND Deff-Value couse a fight is always described by off:deff (attacker) THEN off:deff (defender)

so round about 36 HP damage -> ICBM not destroyed.

How many TDS do i need (round about) do protect citys using AA-Envelope and how many if i use AA-PD ?
      would 1 TDS and 1 SAM as PD be enough? as Envelope i would need about 3 TDS?

Thanks!!!
    • DerIrrePolterer wrote:

so how exactly does this work for example with an ICBM? i have 1 ICBM on max, off = 16, Deff = 16. it's stationed in a city and will be attacked by an ICBM on max (HP = 40).

i would calculate:
      1. AA-Envelope does damage to the ICBM (round about 12 damage)
      2. PD will damage (round about 12 damage)
      -> i would say that this uses Off AND Deff-Value couse a fight is always described by off:deff (attacker) THEN off:deff (defender)

so round about 36 HP damage -> ICBM not destroyed.

How many TDS do i need (round about) do protect citys using AA-Envelope and how many if i use AA-PD ?
      would 1 TDS and 1 SAM as PD be enough? as Envelope i would need about 3 TDS?

Thanks!!!
      1a. AA-Envelope does not trigger, when something enters their range. It triggers, if something is in range, why they check for hostiles. It checks for them every 10 min, but exact time changes between maps.
      1b. AA-Envelope also triggers if something gets attack in their range, if they are not on reload.
      2. Not sure if Nukes ever trigger PD, Nukes aim at provinces, not unit stacks.

I do not meet often nukes, of if I meet golders who bring them out, when you can't do shit about it anyway.
    • DerIrrePolterer wrote:

yes and yes

DerIrrePolterer wrote:

If the PD kills them, yes, otherwise PD would be pretty useless, because missiles only deal damage one time.

DerIrrePolterer wrote:

I am pretty certain that they only use the offensive value, since they are ranged (and the missile doesn't even attack them, so there really is no reason for attack value).

And as far as I can tell, Kalrakh is correct.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Jemandanderes wrote:

DerIrrePolterer wrote:

yes and yes

DerIrrePolterer wrote:

If the PD kills them, yes, otherwise PD would be pretty useless, because missiles only deal damage one time.

DerIrrePolterer wrote:

I am pretty certain that they only use the offensive value, since they are ranged (and the missile doesn't even attack them, so there really is no reason for attack value).
      And as far as I can tell, Kalrakh is correct.

Entering the envelope range, does not immediately trigger the AA-Attack.

Also to add on, the animation of the flight path of ballistic and intercontinental missile, does not represent their real flight path. In reality they fly in a straight line.
    • Fereyd wrote:

Khal is completely right.

just to add it up, Point def is also triggered when the AA is in Range of an ICBM Blast Radius
      means, if the ICBM (only ICBMs or any Missile?) hits a town and the AA is in the "plash"-Radius, it's PD is triggered? so if the ICBM only has 2 HPs left and i have 1-3 SAMs near by, the ICBM will get destroyed through PD and does not demolish the city? SPlash-Radius is 50-75 .. so i don't have to put my TDS/SAMs directly into the city?!
    • DerIrrePolterer wrote:

means, if the ICBM (only ICBMs or any Missile?) hits a town and the AA is in the "plash"-Radius, it's PD is triggered? so if the ICBM only has 2 HPs left and i have 1-3 SAMs near by, the ICBM will get destroyed through PD and does not demolish the city? SPlash-Radius is 50-75 .. so i don't have to put my TDS/SAMs directly into the city?!
      can someone answer this question please?
    • DerIrrePolterer wrote:

DerIrrePolterer wrote:

can someone answer this question please?
      I once read somewhere in the forum that it is.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres