Defense of island nations?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Defense of island nations?

How do you?

On land, i'd generally build-up a good enough territory around me so that i would see enemies coming loooong before they'd reach my homeland, so i'd keep something (mostly air defense, missile defense later on) in my capital, and a few units here and there depending on the city, but the large majority of my units would be out there doing damage.

I have been playing now a few games as Indonesia, and... with 7 homeland cities where anyone could arrive with no notice, i wonder what the best strategy is.

I have been:

1. sending ships home, and generally spreading them, when i go to sleep;
      2. using AWACS (later game) to keep an eye out
      3. keeping 2-3 units / city, just to protect from the odd defeated enemy that wants to do a last run
      4. at times, keep naval units / subs patrolling, in the chance they catch the odd transport taking too long to disembark (even though we know there's a way to make them 'unship' faster)
      5. when i have nothing else to research, using naval patrol planes close to the cities on water

Am i on the right track? better ways?

thanks much!
    • Indonesia is really hard because it is soo spread out. Even so, you can simply patrol the "choke points" - the places in the ocean map where a ship must traverse in order to reach your cities. That's what I do anyways. It won't stop a country from making a surprise attack, as they will sail right past your ship/plane. However, it can alert you to their presence before they want it known and it will stop enemies.
    • Sgniappo wrote:

How do you?

On land, i'd generally build-up a good enough territory around me so that i would see enemies coming loooong before they'd reach my homeland, so i'd keep something (mostly air defense, missile defense later on) in my capital, and a few units here and there depending on the city, but the large majority of my units would be out there doing damage.

I have been playing now a few games as Indonesia, and... with 7 homeland cities where anyone could arrive with no notice, i wonder what the best strategy is.

I have been:

1. sending ships home, and generally spreading them, when i go to sleep;
      2. using AWACS (later game) to keep an eye out
      3. keeping 2-3 units / city, just to protect from the odd defeated enemy that wants to do a last run
      4. at times, keep naval units / subs patrolling, in the chance they catch the odd transport taking too long to disembark (even though we know there's a way to make them 'unship' faster)
      5. when i have nothing else to research, using naval patrol planes close to the cities on water

Am i on the right track? better ways?

thanks much!
      Last time I played Australia, I sacrificed a lot to get airbases in all my home cities, then I kept a stack of units at Alice Springs which I could deploy to any invaded city. Later, I had a stack of 6 MRLS that I could deploy the same way.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Station some higher level ships around your coastal cities, especially the capital as soon as possible. I had a friend who played a game as Thailand, and he kept being attacked by Iran in his capital, he had no ships and his morale and population permanently suffered so much he ended up quitting.
      Im evil. How are you

driving that car :evil: