Coastal Territory

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Coastal Territory

I was thinking this game could use something like coastal territory, or an area near the shore of a country that belongs to it.
      For example, when opponents attack by sea, I don't think war is declared until the units completely disembark.
      Correct me if I am mistaken. This is unrealistic, as no sane army would watch a foreign nation's troops land and get comfy on their beaches while fiddling with their thumbs.
      I'd assume that naval forces would engage the moment that transport crosses into a nation's exclusive waters, which are regarded as an inviolable part of sovereignty.
      There could be some economic activity in coastal waters, but that's a more extended idea. I was just thinking that a transport full of troops off the coast of a country is sufficient to declare war IRL, and should be here too.
    • user8394273 wrote:

I was thinking this game could use something like coastal territory, or an area near the shore of a country that belongs to it.
      For example, when opponents attack by sea, I don't think war is declared until the units completely disembark.
      Correct me if I am mistaken. This is unrealistic, as no sane army would watch a foreign nation's troops land and get comfy on their beaches while fiddling with their thumbs.
      I'd assume that naval forces would engage the moment that transport crosses into a nation's exclusive waters, which are regarded as an inviolable part of sovereignty.
      There could be some economic activity in coastal waters, but that's a more extended idea. I was just thinking that a transport full of troops off the coast of a country is sufficient to declare war IRL, and should be here too.
      I know, I for one will not stand for it. I attack them immediately.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

user8394273 wrote:

But what if you are offline? Then you an auto-attack would be useful (in case you don't sleep nor eat or work, I'm sorry).
      But it should be also possible to use the fastest route to get to an enemy and be able to pass through neutral coastal water.
      I would say there are 2 kinds of territorial water:
      1.Explicit Water Territory(EWT): the water roads that only lead to the land of one province. These wold count just like the province, so if you enter these without right of way, you (automatically) declare war. You could change that to a state, where you cannot see, who is in this territory, so you would only get into a war, if you have one of you own units see them.
      2.Only Pass Water Territory(OPWT): the water a bit farther away from the province: you can pass others if you want to, but you cannot set a unit to go and stay there without right of way or declaring war. The visibility could be just like the EWT or like water without an owner. I think ships should still be able to fight in here, but the fight is over, the next move command has to be outside of the OPWT or you declare war.

What do you think of these ideas? I am personally not sure about the OPWT, but the EWT at least sounds very good.
      (and I know this would require a lot of coding, please only rate the functions.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Jemandanderes wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

But what if you are offline? Then you an auto-attack would be useful (in case you don't sleep nor eat or work, I'm sorry).But it should be also possible to use the fastest route to get to an enemy and be able to pass through neutral coastal water.
      I would say there are 2 kinds of territorial water:
      1.Explicit Water Territory(EWT): the water roads that only lead to the land of one province. These wold count just like the province, so if you enter these without right of way, you (automatically) declare war. You could change that to a state, where you cannot see, who is in this territory, so you would only get into a war, if you have one of you own units see them.
      2.Only Pass Water Territory(OPWT): the water a bit farther away from the province: you can pass others if you want to, but you cannot set a unit to go and stay there without right of way or declaring war. The visibility could be just like the EWT or like water without an owner. I think ships should still be able to fight in here, but the fight is over, the next move command has to be outside of the OPWT or you declare war.

What do you think of these ideas? I am personally not sure about the OPWT, but the EWT at least sounds very good.
      (and I know this would require a lot of coding, please only rate the functions.
      Coding aside, I think your idea is needlessly complicated and would also require a re-work of every map. (This city has a sneak attack route because of OPWT, but this one doesn't because of EWT) I think a better solution would be like you said at first. As soon as troops go into landing mode, war is declared,

"(in case you don't sleep nor eat or work, I'm sorry)." After working for 1 company for 25 years I am currently laid off and an insomniac who takes his meals at his computer. I'm not online 24/7 but my game is usually up whether I am doing something or not.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

"(in case you don't sleep nor eat or work, I'm sorry)." After working for 1 company for 25 years I am currently laid off and an insomniac who takes his meals at his computer. I'm not online 24/7 but my game is usually up whether I am doing something or not.
      What I wanted to say that you would also benefit from something like this, because when you sleep you cannot play. . And I said sorry in advance in case you have a sleep rhythm which lets you sleep for no longer than 20 minutes per time you sleep multiple times a day.

Dealer of Death wrote:

Coding aside, I think your idea is needlessly complicated and would also require a re-work of every map.
      Do you think so about all aspects I mentioned? What do you think about the EWT?
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Jemandanderes wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Coding aside, I think your idea is needlessly complicated and would also require a re-work of every map.
      I don't want to sound needlessly critical, but yeah. That's what I meant even if you dispensed with the OPWT, You would still have EWT and non EWT, not to mention the sea "provinces" that had lines to 2 different countries. Who "owns" that? I think that while clever, it is needlessly complicated in comparison to any advantage to gameplay that would be obtained. Sorry, I didn't like your idea, even tho it was creative and clever.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just cranky from a lack of sleep. ;)
      The KING of CoN News!!!

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Jemandanderes wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I don't want to sound needlessly critical, but yeah. That's what I meant even if you dispensed with the OPWT, You would still have EWT and non EWT, not to mention the sea "provinces" that had lines to 2 different countries. Who "owns" that? I think that while clever, it is needlessly complicated in comparison to any advantage to gameplay that would be obtained. Sorry, I didn't like your idea, even tho it was creative and clever.
      EDIT: Or maybe I'm just cranky from a lack of sleep. ;)
      With EWT I only meant the part of the road, which only leads to one province, not entire seas provinces. What if you would only put that into the game? That would also not be that complicated.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Jemandanderes wrote:

With EWT I only meant the part of the road, which only leads to one province, not entire seas provinces. What if you would only put that into the game? That would also not be that complicated.
      Well, I hate to go back to the "coding" again, but hear me out. I'm sure if you had ever built a single "Military Logistics" improvement in any province, you would have noticed that all pathways or roads in that province receive the upgrade when you build that. That tells me that most likely all paths in a province are one single object, meaning without massive coding changes, it couldn't be separated as you suggest. Since sea "province" seem very analogous to land provinces, and the tendency of programmers to reuse as much code as possible, I would imagine they are constructed the same way. But even if we ignore all of that, there would be other problems, like when 2 EWT lanes lead to 2 separate countries' separate provinces who may also be at war with each other and one of them at war with you.
      The KING of CoN News!!!