How I write coordinates (continuation of argument in another post)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How I write coordinates (continuation of argument in another post)

Start of argument in: forum.conflictnations.com/inde…ons-i-fear-most/&pageNo=1

Dealer of Death wrote:

It was a joke, since you never addressed my definitive point that using
      the comma creates confusion that a decimal point does not when you use
      (0,1) as opposed to (0.1) as to whether you are talking about one tenth
      or X=0, Y=1

Typically Dimensional arrays use (x,y,z) format
      Well, in Germany we don't use (x,y) or (x,y,z), we use (x|y) or (x|y|z), so it's maybe the typical way to write it in the US but not at some other places. So the problem can also be applied the other way around: Your way to write coordinates can be confused with our decimal comma.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Jemandanderes wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

or X=0, Y=1

Well, in Germany we don't use (x,y) or (x,y,z), we use (x|y) or (x|y|z), so it's maybe the typical way to write it in the US but not at some other places. So the problem can also be applied the other way around: Your way to write coordinates can be confused with our decimal comma.
      So, your retort is that you do everything else wrong to cover it up? ;)
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Jemandanderes wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

or X=0, Y=1

Just because something is different, it is not wrong. ;)

Numbers, Maths & stuff is all an invention from us humans.
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Jemandanderes wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

or X=0, Y=1

No, I just mean, that there is no problem with confusing coordinate systems commas with decimal commas if you change both things at once and that this problem would only occur, when you were use commas in both instances. And beside this I don't see any advantage in any of the two systems, so it is probably the best, if everyone just uses it the way the General Conference on Weights and Measures tells us to do, since we both only have to do minor changes and there is no way of confusing a number. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator#Current_standards
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Jemandanderes wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Jemandanderes wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

or X=0, Y=1

No, I just mean, that there is no problem with confusing coordinate systems commas with decimal commas if you change both things at once and that this problem would only occur, when you were use commas in both instances. And beside this I don't see any advantage in any of the two systems, so it is probably the best, if everyone just uses it the way the General Conference on Weights and Measures tells us to do, since we both only have to do minor changes and there is no way of confusing a number. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator#Current_standards
      Unfortunately the current SI standard says that both the decimal point AND the wrong comma are acceptable.
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

• Dealer of Death wrote:

Unfortunately the current SI standard says that both the decimal point AND the wrong comma are acceptable
      Yes, they do and for me it's ok if you use a point as long it's ok for you if I use a comma. I mean, the only thing we have to change is changing 1.000.000/1,000,000 into 1 000 000.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Use whatever you want to . Just know how they write in other countries so that you can understand them easily and not thinking that 1.000 is only 1 cuz of the decimal point .

Also keep knowledge of number system .
      For eg most countries use this :-
      1,000,000 - 1 million (International Number System )
      But some south Asian countries write Like This :-
      10,00,000 - 10 lakh (Indo-Arabic Number System)
      Though both have the same value
    • Rozne Eltobliv wrote:

Use whatever you want to . Just know how they write in other countries so that you can understand them easily and not thinking that 1.000 is only 1 cuz of the decimal point .

Also keep knowledge of number system .
      For eg most countries use this :-
      1,000,000 - 1 million (International Number System )
      But some south Asian countries write Like This :-
      10,00,000 - 10 lakh (Indo-Arabic Number System)
      Though both have the same value
      Yes, I encountered that when researching the decimal point history, and I have to say, that is the most confusing. What is the point of going from 3 to 2 number groupings? Just pick one. Even using a decimal point in the wrong place as a number separator makes more sense, at least it's internally consistent.
      The KING of CoN News!!!