Guide to all Conventional CON units: discussion

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Guide to all Conventional CON units: discussion

So I posted this in the Reddit and I thought it would be interesting (and enlightening!) to hear your opinions as well. This is my guide, but I would like to make it more objective and maybe include more details that I missed out. So let’s get to it! <inserts giant wall of text>

Motorized Infantry: the backbone unit of almost every conquest. Cheap and quick to make. More defensive and suitable for defending cities.

Mechanized Infantry: a stronger backbone unit that is more powerful and expensive than Motorized Infantry. Especially effective in European Doctrine. More defensive and exceptional at defending cities.

Naval Infantry: a powerful offensive and niche unit that is perfect for taking remote islands or landing in places where the enemy doesn't expect you to. In the latter occasions, best used in tandem with Amphibious Combat Vehicles.

Airborne Infantry: a powerful offensive and niche unit, usually used in airborne landing assaults, taking remote islands or land-grabbing on a vast scale. Their Air Assault ability makes it incredibly potent. It's low ground movement speed however necessitates numerous Air Bases.

Special Forces: a powerful offensive and niche unit. While unable to take territory, its incredible range of traits makes it suitable for an equally wide range of purposes, such as recon deep in enemy territory, as well as the infamous Special Forces ambush tactic. It's advanced and difficult usage makes it a rare sight.

National Guard: a very weak but extremely cheap backbone unit. Used as an alternative to Motorized Infantry by some (including experienced) players. Extremely spammable meat shields, useful for last-ditch defenses.

Combat Recon Vehicle: very useful early-game but useless otherwise. Also good for last-ditch defenses.

Armoured Fighting Vehicle: a strong and potent armor that is the mainstay of most player's forces besides the Main Battle Tank. Strong and good in a wide number of terrains.

Amphibious Combat Vehicle: a more potent form of the Armoured Fighting Vehicle, the Amphibious Combat Vehicle nevertheless sees limited usage due to its expensive research requirements.

Main Battle Tank: very potent in ground melee combat, Main Battle Tanks are buffed forms of the Armoured Fighting Vehicle, and extremely dangerous to face in melee combat. However, they suffer from more terrain penalties than their weaker cousin, causing it to be generally regarded by the competitive playerbase as less good.

Tank Destroyer: a niche armor unit, Tank Destroyers are rarely seen outside of Z gamemodes, especially non European Doctrine variants. They excel at destroying armor but poor facing infantry, and late-stage ones have the Air Assault feature, lending itself well to Airborne Landing Assaults.

Towed Artillery: the weakest artillery form, Towed Artillery are nevertheless also the cheapest. Ok yeah they're useless.

Mobile Artillery: the medium-grade artillery piece, Mobile Artillery are best used in European Doctrine, where the buff they receive is substantial.

Multiple Rocket Launcher: the strongest artillery piece, and generally regarded by the competitive playerbase as one of the best units in the game.

Mobile Anti-Air Vehicle: a decent unspecialized AA unit, Mobile Anti-Air Vehicles are the only form of AA that can hit helicopters, making them relatively common among more skilled players, especially European Doctrine ones.

SAM Launcher: the SAM Launcher deals an extremely large amount of damage to planes, and are especially common in the Eastern Doctrine. Also a common AA unit.

Theatre Defense System: the Theatre Defense System is a late-game unit that excels at destroying missiles, and it is not rare to see scores of them late-game, especially if the player is an experienced one.

Mobile Radar: the best radar unit according to most experienced players, Mobile Radar is a ground-based radar system that is cheaper but has less range than its airborne counterpart, the AWACS.

Helicopter Gunship: a specialized helicopter, these helos excel at destroying infantry units. Best used in Eastern Doctrine.

Attack Helicopter: a specialized helicopter, these helos excel at destroying armor units. Best used in Western Doctrine.

ASW Helicopter: a rare sight, ASW Helicopters are meant to hunt down naval units, especially submarines. However, experienced players frequently use them to destroy Frigates.

Air Superiority Fighter: strong anti-air units, these units dominate the skies, and can be used as ground attack units in a pinch.

Naval Air Superiority Fighter: a buffed version of Air Superiority Fighters, Naval Air Superiority Fighters are almost always only used if the player has an aircraft carrier.

Strike Fighter: a versatile aerial support unit, Strike Fighters are almost always a common sight, being good at almost anything you throw at it. Highly recommended by almost all players.

Naval Strike Fighter: a buffed version of Strike Fighters that can target ships well. Occasionally used over Strike Fighters for this reason.

UAVs: while not good on its own, UAVs provide intel on enemy locations, and have limited ground attack capabilities at higher tiers, so are used occasionally.

Naval Patrol Craft: good at attacking naval units, they are however more expensive than ASW Helicopters, and are also more vulnerable to the AA of Frigates, hence are a rarer sight.

AWACS: a radar unit with immense coverage, AWACS are expensive but very useful, providing valuable intel for attacks.

Naval AWACS: useless. Like, who needs an AWACS that can land on carriers when AWACS has such a long range already?

Heavy Bombers: a niche unit, the Heavy Bomber was designed to be the ultimate building destroyer, wrecking havoc among the enemy's war industry. The only other thing it is useful for however is attacking infantry. It is also more expensive than the cheaper Helicopter Gunship, but takes less damage when attacking infantry directly.

Stealth Bombers: a more fancy version of Heavy Bombers. Do you want such an expensive investment for minimal gain?

Corvettes: good patrol craft early game, cheap and quick to make. Use them early on if necessary, or use them as last-ditch defensive units to throw out a quick wall of hp.

Frigates: most experienced players consider them the best naval unit around. Well-rounded in every aspect, and having a solid AA that will shred an aircraft that enter your territory. Most effective in large numbers for everything, but in such numbers they'll be able to handle almost anything very well.

Destroyers: powerful ship-to-ship and anti-submarine vessels, boasting a high attack that will destroy most ships and submarines.

Cruisers: powerful anti-ship weapons, boasting the highest naval attack in the game and a short but decent anti-air. These are highly niche and expensive vehicles, and best used in tandem with more mainstream naval units to punish and destroy other ships and land targets.

Aircraft Carriers: strictly support units, and require adequate support in the form of other naval units to be safe. Even then, they're role is agreed upon by most as a very niche role, mainly of providing air cover during missions far away from friendly air bases (e.g. long distance invasions)

Attack Submarines: less common. They serve largely the same role as Destroyers, that is as anti-ship and anti-submarine vessels, but they can't hit land targets, which lowers their adaptability. This also makes them less vulnerable to other units however, so make of that what you will.

Ballistic Missile Submarines: notable for being the only conventional unit that can carry Ballistic Missiles. This makes them ideal for launching the powerful Ballistic Missiles, but they do require secure seas as their attack is not terribly strong.
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • Combat Recon provides battlefield vision and detection of stealthed units. I happen to be one of those players who insists that combat is more effective when you know the makeup of the enemy; eg, your cruise missile will do more damage to a stack if you have vision on it, as opposed to a shadow or a radar blip.

Towed artillery is actually best against infantry.
    • MicahWill wrote:

DOA70 wrote:

Wait, do you mean:
      They are best used against infantry.
      or
      They are THE best against infantry.

??
      They have the best stats against infantry of all three artillery units. And since they are also the cheapest ... I'd say, the answer to your question is, "both".

If I were going up against someone using a lot of mechanized infantry, I'd use towed artillery against em.
    • DOA70 wrote:

MicahWill wrote:

DOA70 wrote:

Wait, do you mean:They are best used against infantry.
      or

??
      They have the best stats against infantry of all three artillery units. And since they are also the cheapest ... I'd say, the answer to your question is, "both".
      If I were going up against someone using a lot of mechanized infantry, I'd use towed artillery against em.
      Well towed has 1 stat greater than MRL in this regards, (inf damage) but MRL has: higher HP, better vs armor, greater range, and is faster. Now, towed is cheaper and available sooner so is more spamable, I'll give you that.

Now I know we are talking about inf damage mainly here, but realistically nobody is ONLY going to run infantry. So, someone has a large army of mech inf as their mainstay.... I would not pick towed for the extra 1.5 damage to inf. That would mean I also give up 5HP, 0.30 speed, 3 damage to armor, and 25 range. (max lvl)
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • Kranzegrad wrote:

About 'Missile', 'Warhead' and 'Officer'?
      I only excluded those due to word count :(
      Thanks for all the comments! I’ll collate them and put them in a bigger post that I may put in the “New To The Forum” subforum :)
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • 737373elj wrote:

Kranzegrad wrote:

About 'Missile', 'Warhead' and 'Officer'?
      I only excluded those due to word count :( Thanks for all the comments! I’ll collate them and put them in a bigger post that I may put in the “New To The Forum” subforum :)
      I understand, there has always text capacity, but it's ok. Thanks.

Modern Motor Infantry (Tier 3) units has get access to mortar weapons.
      Guns are always loaded.
    • MicahWill wrote:

DOA70 wrote:

MicahWill wrote:

DOA70 wrote:

Wait, do you mean:They are best used against infantry.or

??
      They have the best stats against infantry of all three artillery units. And since they are also the cheapest ... I'd say, the answer to your question is, "both".If I were going up against someone using a lot of mechanized infantry, I'd use towed artillery against em.
      Well towed has 1 stat greater than MRL in this regards, (inf damage) but MRL has: higher HP, better vs armor, greater range, and is faster. Now, towed is cheaper and available sooner so is more spamable, I'll give you that.
      Now I know we are talking about inf damage mainly here, but realistically nobody is ONLY going to run infantry. So, someone has a large army of mech inf as their mainstay.... I would not pick towed for the extra 1.5 damage to inf. That would mean I also give up 5HP, 0.30 speed, 3 damage to armor, and 25 range. (max lvl)

You can easely and quickly spam more Towed so you have more firepower and posibility of first strike.
      Ofc in late game you would want better type of arty. But in early and even mid game you can easely create stack of 8 Towed + 2 AA (any AA is good to put in stack) or even pure 10 stack of Towed for the first strike.
      If you upgrade them at least to have more range or even to tier 2 you have powerfull stack for the first strike. And they can fly from day 1.
      They are also great against players who use armor + AA in stack. You don't want to use your planes in that situation. But you can use Towed and deal a lot of damage.

They are very bad if cach in melee, they are dead very quickly. And if bombed outside of bunkers even if you have AA + inf in stack they will loose a lot of HP. Even ASF is danger for them if you don't have AA in stack.
      And they have the worst range of all arty units.

You need to move them out of the front line back in your territory if you are not online for couple of hours.
      Basically you have to be active player, often online to use them effectively.

But they can help a lot. You even can use them for guerrilla tactics. For example to destroy an airport nearby your borders in one shot.
      Any emergency defense as well especially if you controll big country because they will fly.
      In defense you can duel smaller stack of better arty units because of numbers in your favor. You use them when your enemy already trigered attack timer and again you deal a lot of damage.

They are far from trash units and not for casual players who log in once or twice a day.
    • I endorse the description for Naval Awacs...weak as it cant even spot submarines...

Also would liek to point out that airborne is far from being a good offensive units...its stats are equal to national guard...only thing is they are good for surpise attack and landgrabbing needing a strong airforce backup for protection.
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.