What is the State of the Game, Compared to What it Once was?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• There is at least one problem with games with truce.
      You can effectively play only mid to large countries.
      Because if you want small country you have to play with different style - aggressive style. You have to attack and conquer from day one. It is risky yes but it is necessary for a small country to be able to cach large or medium one.
      Actually I would theorize that you have to take at least 3 cities per day in first 10 days as small country to be competitive in mid or late game.

Otherwise as small country with 7 day truce you are just waiting to be quickly destroyed.
    • Zemunelo wrote:

There is at least one problem with games with truce.
      Because if you want small country you have to play with different style - aggressive style. You have to attack and conquer from day one. It is risky yes but it is necessary for a small country to be able to cach large or medium one.
      Actually I would theorize that you have to take at least 3 cities per day in first 10 days as small country to be competitive in mid or late game.

Otherwise as small country with 7 day truce you are just waiting to be quickly destroyed.
      Those are Public game thoughts, not Challenge thoughts. If you waste your army on AI in a challenge, you already risk losing.

If you use random selection on a world map for challenges, the joke is already on you.

A bigger country can always conquer faster than a small country could ever manage, and with lower losses.

A small country can only beat a bigger country, if there is a huge discrepance in regards of activity on both sides. A discrepance that will be hardly achieved on a challenge map.
    • And example from one of my current public maps if you wish:

Norway, 6 core cities, very aggressively conquering from the get go, day 7: 20 cities, 175 provinces, 21 troops

Sweden, 7 core cities, patientily first built up troops, then started conquering, day 7: 21 cities, 148 provinces, 35 troops

Finland, 5 core cities, kind of the same as Sweden, day 7: 12 cities, 112 provinces, 22 troops
    • Let's not forget that in the MED map (the most used for challenges up to 14 people), all countries are equal in terms of economics. The only thing that differs between the two teams is that some provinces get, as in public games, random locations for their production, which can create a very small advantage over one type of resources over the course of the truce.

It's not a game changer, but it's taken into consideration.

On the World Map, there are discrepancies, (and to be honest, i would like if the countries were equal like in the Med map, to focus on the geography), but they are slightly countered by the draft pick.

You don't get bad countries except if you force your whole team to do so.

"If you use random selection on a world map for challenges, the joke is already on you."

i figured so. Do you think Random could have interest on a world map if the countries had, like in MED, totally equal economics ?
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Kalrakh wrote:

Zemunelo wrote:

There is at least one problem with games with truce.

Those are Public game thoughts, not Challenge thoughts. If you waste your army on AI in a challenge, you already risk losing.
      If you use random selection on a world map for challenges, the joke is already on you.

A bigger country can always conquer faster than a small country could ever manage, and with lower losses.

A small country can only beat a bigger country, if there is a huge discrepance in regards of activity on both sides. A discrepance that will be hardly achieved on a challenge map.
      What? How can you waist your army on AI?
    • Some challenges are played with less than the full amount of players, which let some AI countries free.

If you have no truce and that the rule isn't a OPEN AI game mode, you indeed put yourself at risk by using incredibly precious and scarce war assets to conquer a country that will not yield any return on investment (due to how slowly morale grows) before the challenge is finished.

Attacking AI is often a matter of "dynamic entry" into a enemy country, to circumvent some defense line .
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Ofc you will not send all your troops. You can conquer AI country with low number of involved troops.
      And yes, it is mostly to gain tactical and strategic advantage over your opponent. Or at least more options for future actions.
      Also border expansion gives you more time to react.

But I understand you guys don't use small countries (if map is not with equal countries?) so border expansion is less important.

Oh well now when I said it I see it's wrong. It is always better to fight outside of your core borders. Small country can be out of the game in half a day if don't expand borders.
    • In World map there are a lot of small AI countries, especially in africa, those are the ones that are attacked, usually ^^
    • Zemunelo wrote:

Ofc you will not send all your troops. You can conquer AI country with low number of involved troops.
      And yes, it is mostly to gain tactical and strategic advantage over your opponent. Or at least more options for future actions.
      Also border expansion gives you more time to react.

But I understand you guys don't use small countries (if map is not with equal countries?) so border expansion is less important.

Oh well now when I said it I see it's wrong. It is always better to fight outside of your core borders. Small country can be out of the game in half a day if don't expand borders.
      What advamtage could a small country give that would make it worth taking? Small countries have only disadvantages, beside of maybe a geographical importance. Though without Truce greographical importance will likely mean you get overrun before reinforcements even arrive.

You pick small countries in public maps to challenge yourself, but alliance challenges are the wrong place for that.

If a world map has 32 player slots and only 24 are filled in a 12 vs 12 team fight, there are also bigger AI countries which can't be taken that easily.
    • Depending on situation ofc but small country can be easely defended than large.
      If you control large country like Russia you will never use all your troops to attack. You have to split your troops. Meaning you will also defend with less troops.
      On the other hand small country can concentrate troops easely in defense or offense.
      But if it is staged and there is 7 day truce then ofc you have to control large country.
    • I can't say you're wrong because i know you haven't played in alliance, but if you are speaking of challenges... you can't really see how it is before experiencing it yourself first hand.
    • Opulon wrote:

I can't say you're wrong because i know you haven't played in alliance, but if you are speaking of challenges... you can't really see how it is before experiencing it yourself first hand.
      Yea it's true I am not in alliance. Actually at the moment (for a while) I don't play the game. Not enough time in RL.
      I can't play casually because that's my personality so then it's better not to play.
      When I play I am online every hour at least.

I still don't see how can you play small country (eg 5 cities country in flash or 6 in world) if there's truce?
      Only if all the countries are the same regarding resource productions..
    • Zemunelo wrote:

Opulon wrote:

I can't say you're wrong because i know you haven't played in alliance, but if you are speaking of challenges... you can't really see how it is before experiencing it yourself first hand.
      Yea it's true I am not in alliance. Actually at the moment (for a while) I don't play the game. Not enough time in RL.I can't play casually because that's my personality so then it's better not to play.
      When I play I am online every hour at least.

I still don't see how can you play small country (eg 5 cities country in flash or 6 in world) if there's truce?
      Only if all the countries are the same regarding resource productions..
      People do not pick small countries in challenges, if they are not required too.

If you have a truce, you at least have time to send troops and resources to build up a defence force in a small country, if you need it as invasion point to attack your opponents.
      Without truce the small country will be overrun in less then a day, most likely.

Being smaller also means less starting troops, which is far more decisive without a truce.
    • World maps challenge where they are smaller countries, the draft picking usually ensures both team gets a balance of small/big, but it's an ongoing debate, and i would prefer if all the countries were "equal under the sun".

Med Map (the most popular challenge map) has 100% countries with the same number of cities.
    • Opulon wrote:

World maps challenge where they are smaller countries, the draft picking usually ensures both team gets a balance of small/big, but it's an ongoing debate, and i would prefer if all the countries were "equal under the sun".

Med Map (the most popular challenge map) has 100% countries with the same number of cities.
      Yeah, but so far there was never a world map challenge, where every player spot was filled, so hardly any small countries got picked from the start if even any :D