anti air timer - clarifications

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• anti air timer - clarifications

good morning / afternoon / evening!

A question / clarification on the anti-air timer - would appreciate your feedback.

So, the wiki says that 'anti air units share a global timer', and in our team we seem to have different understandings of that rule.

Could you confirm the below:

1. all anti-air shares the same timer (yes/no)

2. if you have a stack which includes both MAA and SAMs, if a plane approaches (when the timer ticks) the SAM will fire. If at that time the plane is in the range of the MAA as well, the MAA will fire, if not it won't until the next timer (yes/no);

3. point 2. above does not change at all if you have two different stacks, one with SAMs and one with MAAs. no matter where they are on the map, if one is in China and the other is in brazil, they still share the same timer (yes / no);

now, next level:

4. does the same apply to ships? if a plane triggers a SAM timer in berlin, the stack of frigates around australia, the MAAs in argentina, the (AA of) railguns in China and the TDS in California (all of the same nation, yes this nation is all over the world :) ) share the same timer? i.e. the concept applies to ALL anti-air, independently of the unit?

So, if that is true, i could send a plane to trigger a SAM stack in Italy, to attack-heli a stack of MAAs in China?

I believe the answer to all of the above (at least until 4) is yes, but am ready to stand corrected and be educated.

Thanks in advance!
      s

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sgniappo ().

• Sgniappo wrote:

1. all anti-air shares the same timer (yes/no)
      No. They will attack immediately if they detect a hostile unit they can hit, then they have a 10 minute cooldown before they can use their AA again. If they are attacked directly during this period, they will deal point defense damage (their defense stat). However, the timer will not be affected by their point defense.

Sgniappo wrote:

2. if you have a stack which includes both MAA and SAMs, if a plane approaches (when the timer ticks) the SAM will fire. If at that time the plane is in the range of the MAA as well, the MAA will fire, if not it won't until the next timer (yes/no);
      This one not too sure. I think it's a yes, but if someone says otherwise listen to them.

Sgniappo wrote:

3. point 2. above does not change at all if you have two different stacks, one with SAMs and one with MAAs. no matter where they are on the map, if one is in China and the other is in brazil, they still share the same timer (yes / no);
      As above, no.

Sgniappo wrote:

4. does the same apply to ships? if a plane triggers a SAM timer in berlin, the stack of frigates around australia, the MAAs in argentina, the (AA of) railguns in China and the TDS in California (all of the same nation, yes this nation is all over the world ) share the same timer? i.e. the concept applies to ALL anti-air, independently of the unit?
      No. Frigates (at least, I'm not too sure about Cruisers) scan for hostile units every 10 minutes. When they scan at the end of the 10 minute period, they will attack the unit. They still do point-defense damage when attacked directly.
      As stated above, each AA has their own timer, so if one AA detects a hostile unit, only that AA will attack it.

Sgniappo wrote:

So, the wiki says that 'anti air units share a global timer',
      This is the weirdest thing I have ever seen. If the wiki does say this, it is almost definitely a legacy feature, and should be ignored. Also the devs should be told of this discrepancy too.
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • 737373elj wrote:

No. They will attack immediately if they detect a hostile unit they can hit, then they have a 10 minute cooldown before they can use their AA again. If they are attacked directly during this period, they will deal point defense damage (their defense stat). However, the timer will not be affected by their point defense.
      i don't believe this is correct... they will not 'attack immediately', but attack when their timer ticks... i've seen air units come into my AA defense area, and i've been screaming at them 'SHOOT! SHOOT!' :), but they didn't until their timer was up...
    • Sgniappo wrote:

737373elj wrote:

i don't believe this is correct... they will not 'attack immediately', but attack when their timer ticks... i've seen air units come into my AA defense area, and i've been screaming at them 'SHOOT! SHOOT!' :), but they didn't until their timer was up...
      If I understand you correctly, they had already attacked the AA once. If they didn't attack the AA directly (as in, they were targeting the AA unit) then the AA won't attack again until the timer is up.
      If they hadn't already attacked the AA, well... it could have been a Frigate?
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • 737373elj wrote:

If I understand you correctly, they had already attacked the AA once. If they didn't attack the AA directly (as in, they were targeting the AA unit) then the AA won't attack again until the timer is up.If they hadn't already attacked the AA, well... it could have been a Frigate?
      it wasn't a specific case... am just trying to get to clarity on how the AA timer works... so for the sake of argument, we can assume nobody ever shot anyone before an AA defense in a a game.
    • Anti aircraft guns work better when there is someone operating it.
      If you are away from keyboard, let's say a frigate detects in incoming plane.
      But it cannot see it so it doesn't know if it should shoot.
      It eventually does shoot when the plane is 35-40 kilometers away(visual range).
      IF you are there though, you can manually shoot down the radar contact.
      All anti airs in the game DO NOT use the same timer.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • It means all your AA in range, will active at the same time.
      For example if unit A is attacked, unit B will trigger its AA at the same moment as unit A.

AA doesnt automatically attack aircraft instantly when its in range, its rather unknown when it will trigger.

What is known is if you attack a unit, you will trigger the AA and the 10min cooldown, while also taking defensive damage. So the AA will attack and defend. It also means any nearby AA your in range of, will auto trigger on that attack.

This is why its a good idea to stage theatre defence systems in nearby tiles, that way they trigger in support of other AA defending a city.
    • Hello again, So someone was using this old thread as their reference on how AA work, so I want to correct it to our current knowledge.
      Mostly copy from Teb's document.

Offensive AA Tick
      The AA will check for Aircraft at a set global time of the match, and if hostiles aircraft is detected by any mean within range AA will trigger.
      Damage dealt by the regular checks will be applied fully to all (enemy) aircraft within range.
      The time when it checks is different in each game and happens in 10-minute intervals. e.g.: The time for AA checks is set at 15:02, then the next would be at 15:12 and then 15:22, etc.
      If it finds and hits an enemy aircraft the AA will go on a 10-minute cooldown

Ranged AA Defense (referred by dorado officially as Envelop AA)
      Outside of these set times, AA can trigger if aircraft is using attack action attacked something that is covered in AA range, then it works the same as how offensive AA work. because Ranged AA defense is simply another method that offensive AA to be fired.

Pointdefense
      Pointdefense is THE AA mechanic you have to worry about when using missiles; it’s also the big “fuck your aircraft in particular” card of AA.
      What is it though? Its a mechanic that gives units that get attacked by aircraft the first hit against them (they deal dmg first to the aircraft/missile and then what is left of the attacker deals damage to the unit). And now the funny part: Pointdefense always applies, it does not require the unit to reload or something. so if your missile HP < their pointdefense against missiles then it doesnt matter if you send 10, 100, or 10.000 every single one will die horribly to the point defense.
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • I have one more question: in what period of time does AA shoot?
      I mean, if I have two missiles, flying through enemies AA range (only one AA stack) with delay about 1 minute (1x speed) the both got damage.
      I suppose, that AA hit in first 2,5 minutes, then it has 7,5 minutes to recharge (because first 2,5 minutes there is an active animation of Anti-Air).
      Does anyone have any ideas?
      Что вы остолбенели?! Живо поднять гарнизон! Ну!
    • jack21c wrote:

I have one more question: in what period of time does AA shoot?
      I mean, if I have two missiles, flying through enemies AA range (only one AA stack) with delay about 1 minute (1x speed) the both got damage.
      I suppose, that AA hit in first 2,5 minutes, then it has 7,5 minutes to recharge (because first 2,5 minutes there is an active animation of Anti-Air).
      Does anyone have any ideas?
      shoot -> go reload 10 min
      This post was made by Leader of the Church of ROAD
    • Zemunelo wrote:

So if you're unlucky when you attack ground target with your airplanes you could be hit twice with neighboring AA by its range. First by range aa defense (regardless of the timer) and then by range aa offense if the timer allows it?

I was not aware that aa range defense is not connected to the timer.
      Its not gonna shoot when its reloading tho.
      I am The Baseline for opinions