Suggestion: Automatic ending

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Suggestion: Automatic ending

My impression of the game so far is, that after some time the winner is clear, many players leave and the game is reduced to kill one AI-country after the other for many days just to reach the winning condition.
      The abort function does not effect much, because "ALL"-players never agree an ending.

Therefore I would suggest an automatic ending after 30-40 days to avoid the necessity of caring "finished but technically not finished games" day by day.
    • Sidellan wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

I summon the GermanicNo bot:
      GermanicNo bot.jpg
      And why? In that phase of a game nobody invests gold anymore. It is just blocking serverresources and playertime that would be more useful in games of tension and action.
      Because the game is about winning and it isn't really decided on day 40. Of course it could be, but that depends on how any players are in a game that are also going to stay active. When you are not the only player that is still active on day 40 that hasn't voted for the game to end, then other players are still active and you just have to kill these players to be able to end the game. I don't get why the game should already end there if some still active players don't want it. You don't have to kill all players, you just need to kill the still active players.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • I haven t seen any game that was not decided latest on day 25.
      If a player has more VPs than the following 3 together or if the strongest coalition has places 1-3 and together more VPs than places 4-15 together then is the game decided.
      I have at the moment 5 running games. 3 of them are "living deads". That is not very thrilling.

Can you give me a hint how to identify the "active" players, if their activity is not visible on the map? In the diplomacy there are still the names of the former active human players.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Sidellan ().

• Sidellan wrote:

I haven t seen any game that was not decided latest on day 25.
      If a player has more VPs than the following 3 together or if the strongest coalition has places 1-3 and together more VPs than places 4-15 together then is the game decided.
      I have at the moment 5 running games. 3 of them are "living deads". That is not very thrilling.
      But imagine they just had a rough start with many fights against active players, but they are actually better then you(or better think you swap positions), do you think they would like it to lose a game in which they had good chances to win/would you like to lose such a game?

Sidellan wrote:

Can you give me a hint how to identify the "active" players, if their activity is not visible on the map? In the diplomacy there are still the names of the former active human players.
      Look in the news and search every days articles for "disregarded", everyone without an article is either still active or has SC (and there are not much with people with SC and most of them don't go inactive). Everyone with an article might was inactive for at least 3 days and might still be. If the nation has a "has taken command" article (search for "command") without a following "disregarded" article he is also either active or has SC.

If they are in a coalition they also have to active, since once you get inactive you start leaving the coalition.

the two things above only make it clear who was inactive a couple days before now, because it takes some time until you are marked inactive(depends on game type).

You can also ask them any question and if they answer, they are still active (they are also still active if they write you anything, you just have to make them do it or be lucky enough that they do it on themselves.
      You can also write articles to get them to answer.
      As far as I know AI never crosses the border, it instead declares war, so search for "without prior" in the news to find people who did just invade.

Also AI only build certain types of troops, but gathering the intelligence is not as easy as the options above.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Also if you have a rough start (I had more than once), the position becomes clear after around day 15. At day 25 the good players have taken their chances. Be honest: How many games did you have, where after day 35 there were any "big chances"?

E.g. I m at the moment in a WW3 game, day 42. Leading coalition and last surviving coalition has 50% of necessary VP. All in all 5 players left. How long will it take?

Regarding activity:
      one remark:
      Last person of a coalition stays in coalition independently of activity.
    • Sidellan wrote:

Also if you have a rough start (I had more than once), the position becomes clear after around day 15. At day 25 the good players have taken their chances. Be honest: How many games did you have, where after day 35 there were any "big chances"?

E.g. I m at the moment in a WW3 game, day 42. Leading coalition and last surviving coalition has 50% of necessary VP. All in all 5 players left. How long will it take?

Regarding activity:
      one remark:
      Last person of a coalition stays in coalition independently of activity.
      Dude, I've had a game where I was in 3rd at day 30, one guy was poised 100 points from a solo victory, and there was a coalition of 5 people 3 of which were almost as big as I and 1 was bigger. I attacked #1's Homeland cities in a surprise massive invasion, thwarting his win, convinced the coalition to drop their underperforming member and take me in instead, and finished the game in 1st place with a coalition win.

I don't want the stupidity of automatic game ends stealing such opportunities from me in the future.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Sidellan wrote:

My impression of the game so far is, that after some time the winner is clear, many players leave and the game is reduced to kill one AI-country after the other for many days just to reach the winning condition.
      The abort function does not effect much, because "ALL"-players never agree an ending.

Therefore I would suggest an automatic ending after 30-40 days to avoid the necessity of caring "finished but technically not finished games" day by day.
      I disagree. I like the fact that we are able to go for long games. I've had games last 60 days, with the final days still being explosive and tense. If a game were to last for only 30-40 days, it would make victories like the one I mentioned more anti-climatic, and take away from the game's long term strategy because your goal would focus less on outplaying another country, to outplaying all countries at the start of the game until day 30-40. I could theoretically take south America and just sit there until I win by default. Just a thought. If a game is dragging on with you being the obvious winner, you still have the option of putting the game on the backburner and starting up a new one.
    • Well he is probably talking about Flashpoint games because he stated that all games are decided upon day 25. For Flashpoint it is the case. On World War maps it is not.

But even for the Flashpoint maps it would be silly to end automatically.
      Because we can also end on day 5 and who has the most points he wins.

Not to mention there can be an interesting conflict and troop engagement on day 30 in Flashpoint even if the fate of the game was decide long ago.

And at the end we all want to say to our opponents "good game". We want that feeling winning or losing (better winning ofc) that we had interesting fights. Different strategies and units, real opponents not AI, planning and execution of invasion or unexpected enemy invasion...
    • Germanico already said that there is no auto end so people who invested more into arms industries and stuff get more gold and more fun.
      I am 90% sure Dorado will come over and say:
      "Please search in existing threads before posting a new one. CLOSED."
      NOTE: I am not impersonating a moderator.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • ewac123 wrote:

Germanico already said that there is no auto end so people who invested more into arms industries and stuff get more gold and more fun.
      I am 90% sure Dorado will come over and say:
      "Please search in existing threads before posting a new one. CLOSED."
      I'd say you're safe from being accused of impersonating a mod when...

Dealer of Death wrote:

I summon the GermanicNo bot:
      GermanicNo bot.jpg
      ...this is here
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • Zemunelo wrote:

Well he is probably talking about Flashpoint games because he stated that all games are decided upon day 25. For Flashpoint it is the case. On World War maps it is not.

Not to mention there can be an interesting conflict and troop engagement on day 30 in Flashpoint even if the fate of the game was decide long ago.

And at the end we all want to say to our opponents "good game". We want that feeling winning or losing (better winning ofc) that we had interesting fights. Different strategies and units, real opponents not AI, planning and execution of invasion or unexpected enemy invasion...
      Flashpoint, Blood and Oil, Battleground USA
      decided latest around day25.

At the moment I have the "typical situation":
      +) a Blood and Oil game day19, where all threats are removed, but still around 50% of VPs. It will take another 10 days to finish that game that has become boring now.
      +) a Flashpoint: day18. 2 players left. Other player does not want to finish and is also not expanding. Yeah... So I am seeking the guy to kill him.
      +) a battleground USA day 29: Winning is clear since around day 22. Hopefully will be finished in next 2 days. Not much tension left.
    • Dorado:
      "Please search in existing threads before opening a new one. CLOSED."
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Sidellan wrote:

Zemunelo wrote:

Well he is probably talking about Flashpoint games because he stated that all games are decided upon day 25. For Flashpoint it is the case. On World War maps it is not.

Flashpoint, Blood and Oil, Battleground USAdecided latest around day25.

+) a Blood and Oil game day19, where all threats are removed, but still around 50% of VPs. It will take another 10 days to finish that game that has become boring now.
      +) a Flashpoint: day18. 2 players left. Other player does not want to finish and is also not expanding. Yeah... So I am seeking the guy to kill him.
      +) a battleground USA day 29: Winning is clear since around day 22. Hopefully will be finished in next 2 days. Not much tension left.
      Try playing upside-down, using a mirror with one eye closed and sunglasses(prescription lenses:not yours) on while looking at the screen thru a fan on low setting, and only using your foot to work the mouse. That should make all your games more challenging.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Sidellan wrote:

Zemunelo wrote:

Flashpoint, Blood and Oil, Battleground USAdecided latest around day25.
      Try playing upside-down, using a mirror with one eye closed and sunglasses(prescription lenses:not yours) on while looking at the screen thru a fan on low setting, and only using your foot to work the mouse. That should make all your games more challenging.
      I think he should do all of the things DoD recommended, PLUS play while riding a camel.
      For extra challenge, try riding a mutant camel.