Strategy Against Ballistic Submarines?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Strategy Against Ballistic Submarines?

Hello everyone, I am here to ask if there is any sort effective strategy you can employ against Ballistic Missile Submarines. In one of my current games the first place nation is using a lot of Ballistic Missile Submarines to launch Ballistic Missiles at targets all over the map.I also have Naval Patrol Aircraft Level 2 which I am using for anti submarine warfare and as an experiment since I've only used them in one other game before. I know that TDS will be able to counter the missiles which is why I am teching into them but I am still about 2 days away from being able to even deploy one.

So to recap is there anything besides investing more into leveling up Naval Patrol Aircraft or TDS that I can do to help combat this threat or minimize it?
    • You can use destroyers or Attack subs, corvettes and frigates are also useful against unprotected Ballistic Missile Subs. ASW Helis are also useful and not that easy to counter, but also have low range. Naval Patrol Aircrafts are vulnerable to frigates. And all of these things include that you have to find the sub, which can be hard due to their big missile range and so on.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Theater def systems, AA, railguns.
      Trick with these is you can pair with frigates and upgrade subs to max for huge hitpoints.
      You can send ships to intercept from launch position but you can spend days/weeks hunting them and a good sub commander will just target docks, airfields and army bases trying to counter.

Usally the best way is counter ballistics are anti missile units.
      A ballistics missile strategy is rather reliant on making effective use of your missiles.
      The moment AA goes up, well your hoping to delay the enemy enough, i tend to target anyone and everyone with docks first.

Anti sub helicopters are really weak even maxxed, and naval planes require alot of research investment to be effective.
      Any good sub commander will just render these void by keeping out of range, targeting airfields and building more.

Otherwise, destoryiers are your best bet. They are fast, can see submarines and deal high damage. You could go attack subs but it really depends on your resources, since a single destoryer can destory his naval base and a single attack sub would die if its more then just 1 submarine.

Honestly first point of call is using spies to stop his naval base producing more, maybe target his missile production too.
    • crazystoner wrote:

Anti sub helicopters are really weak even maxxed
      Uhm no, they deal 7,5 damage against subs on tier 1, 11 on tier 2 and 15 on tier 3.

crazystoner wrote:

Any good sub commander will just render these void by keeping out of range, targeting airfields and building more.
      you know that ASW helis are in deep water about 2 times faster and in shallow water about 4 times faster? And building more is never really an option.

Of course all of this only works if you know where the subs are. Btw, ASW helis are the reason pros used carriers, because there is no ship that is effective against helis.
      a.k.a. jem and and eres
    • Jesus Christ.
      Let's use some common sense here, not some wild superstitions.
      ASW Choppers are the worst anti BM sub unit. PERIOD.
      The best strategy is to send your Naval Recon Planes 1 at a time(If you are active) to patrol the most common places subs are.
      Patrol everywhere within 1500 km of your homeland.
      Although tbh if the enemy has BMs and you don't have a TDS you are kinda sorta screwed.
      BM subs+ missiles takes like 10 days to get.
      A TDS takes 6-7 days to get.
      You better up your game...
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • ewac123 wrote:

Jesus Christ.
      The best strategy is to send your Naval Recon Planes 1 at a time(If you are active) to patrol the most common places subs are.
      Although tbh if the enemy has BMs and you don't have a TDS you are kinda sorta screwed.
      I think he was probably using gold or hard rushed to get Ballistic Missile tech and Submarines, he has had them since like day 10 and now it's around Day 22. Good advice all around, I think missile tech might be a little too strong since the TDS is such a big investment to make and it's really bad at early levels in terms of mobility. I'll look at trying to hunt them down with my Naval Patrol Aircraft and trying to triangulate their locations based on data, thank you for the help everyone.

The post was edited 1 time, last by CipherStriker4 ().

I believe Second Cannae has been reinfected with the mutant camel virus.
      Speaking of which, check back to the dev diary. I have evidence that season 6 will start soon.
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Hmm.
      We should add "confusion, being illogical, and insanity" to the list of mutant camel virus symptoms.
      Unfortunately most people on the forum are already like that so we would have a hard time knowing who has the mutant camel virus.
    • Jemandanderes wrote:

ewac123 wrote:

not really, considering that you probably already have lvl4 army base because of MRL. And even if you don't (which is already weird), you gotta have SAM which requires having at least lvl3 army base.
      Please read the post's context.
      I am talking about from day 1.
      The minimum time to have some warheads and BM subs are like 9-10 days.
      It takes 6-7 days for the research and buildings for TDS.
    • Lets sort things out a little.

Maybe you were a litte late with your tds, nut now we're in it so lets look which options we have:

First of all, protect your cities. TDS will do the job. Place 2 of them in the cities to make sure you get the Point def shot.

When you have your shield ready, you don´t really need to hunt down the subs becuase they are kindof useless now ;)

If you want to hunt them use NPA (check the Tier when they boost ther sonar range).
      ASW Helis are great hunting Subs, but they lack range, so i wouldn't count on them for hunting Boomers.

If you find out that he is stacking the boomers with frigates, go for a destroyer program instead of the NPAs
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Dorado Games
      DE - Team Lead
      Conflict of Nations

"That was not me, it was already broken!"
    • Jemandanderes wrote:

Uhm no, they deal 7,5 damage against subs on tier 1, 11 on tier 2 and 15 on tier 3.
      Don't get me wrong, they are fine at what they do, killing submarines, since submarines can't fight back.
      They are also pretty good early game against frigate rushes, of say Indonesia, but so are any helicopters.

But their limited range, reliance on airfields and the fact cruisers are so deadly renders them rather void, not to mention BSUB's can have 40hitpoints! In the late game, fully upgraded their damage is very low on an upgraded cruiser stack, you'll lose wave after wave of helicopters, worse if a frigate is triggering the AA and its not just point def.

As for carriers, they already have 125 radar range which should be enough to dominate any naval battle.

Id argue for ASW to be usable, you need to be able to operate from other naval vessels like frigates/destoryiers/cruisers.
      But they would offer a sizeable advantage in any and all naval battles so... yeah i dono. All i know is i've used them in great number and they struggle to be of any use without losing huge numbers. There are better counters, but building 1 or 2 might pay off against a bad commander.

The post was edited 2 times, last by crazystoner ().

• ewac123 wrote:

Jesus Christ.
      Youare very optimistic here. I you put all your resoruces in TDS you can do tay 6-7...but usally these high class toys are not the first to research/build when you still have barbarian hordes at the gate (aka infantry rush)
      @Dorado If you Close the Forum and move everything to Discord you will lose my Feedback for sure.
    • kurtvonstein wrote:

Youare very optimistic here. I you put all your resoruces in TDS you can do tay 6-7...but usally these high class toys are not the first to research/build when you still have barbarian hordes at the gate (aka infantry rush)
      Not hard to look around the map and see if anyone has a level 4 naval base.
      Then once the ballistic missile get launched to check CNN news.

I have used the ballistic sub rush to great advantage, biggest disadvantage is you end up at war with heaps of players because your focusing on building distruction and not invasion. Start with docks so noone can threaten your naval power, then on armybases so no defense systems get up and running. Then its just a prolonged onslaught of beach landings with a subnet defense. Usally id launch 5/6 at a time and just destroy homecities of leading players and just stop their production instantly.