Tactics in battle

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Tactics in battle

I suggest that there should be more tactics involved in the battles to represent a more real life situation. There should be disadvantages or advantages in flanking enemy units and not just turn into a regular head-to-head battle. I, for one, try to outflank my enemies and I would like for there to be some sort of fighting advantage for tactics. What is your opinion?
    • I think what you are suggesting makes sense on a smaller scale.

For example: in a gunfight between squads of 4, one team may split into 2 smaller squads and have one flank the enemy, forcing them to return fire and appropriate cover in 2 directions.

In CoN, the battles are on a much larger scale than that of a 4-on-4 gunfight. Single infantry units that we see are actually 100+ man divisions (I am not sure of exact numbers, anybody else know?). But on that scale, elements such as flanking are much less significant. While other elements such as: terrain, proximity to airbases, AA envelope, access to harbors, and travel time all become paramount issues in waging war.
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth
    • Hmmm what could be next? Maybe "I think we should factor in the number of gun jams and dud rounds into the kill rates of each battle"???
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Dealer of Death wrote:

Hmmm what could be next? Maybe "I think we should factor in the number of gun jams and dud rounds into the kill rates of each battle"???
      I see your point, but flanking tactics have been part of military strategy since time immemorial. Many battles have been won by smaller forces based on these tactics. As CON tried to make things represent real-life scenarios, it would make sense to incorporate such things besides for the regular terrain bonuses.
    • Kalan34 wrote:

Dealer of Death wrote:

Hmmm what could be next? Maybe "I think we should factor in the number of gun jams and dud rounds into the kill rates of each battle"???
      I see your point, but flanking tactics have been part of military strategy since time immemorial. Many battles have been won by smaller forces based on these tactics. As CON tried to make things represent real-life scenarios, it would make sense to incorporate such things besides for the regular terrain bonuses.
      Just remember, balance is more important than realism (I believe that Dorado Reps have even stated that here, somewhere), and I for one would rather see them address player retention in games and anything that increases PvP, than ANY realism concern.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Kalan34 wrote:

I suggest that there should be more tactics involved in the battles to represent a more real life situation. There should be disadvantages or advantages in flanking enemy units and not just turn into a regular head-to-head battle. I, for one, try to outflank my enemies and I would like for there to be some sort of fighting advantage for tactics. What is your opinion?
      I was told via a conversation with a tech person regarding a bug report that attacking a unit from different directions is supposed to yield a combat bonus when damage is dealt. That was when I first joined though and the few times I've tried it, I've not seen results equal to simply stacking the units and having them bum rush the enemy. Nevertheless, flanking is supposed to be incorporated into combat results.