CoN vs other similar games(all made by Bytro I believe)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• CoN vs other similar games(all made by Bytro I believe)

Hi, all.
      What are your thoughts on CoN compared to CoW, S1914, and S1?
      For me, I started by playing CoN. Then played CoW for a few days, then quit because 1.0 and 1.5 were pretty much entirely different games.
      I joined S1914 and found that the game had HORRIBLE animations(the units look like board game pieces. And not even cool board game pieces. Like some ancient game 2000 years ago). I joined S1 and found enough bugs to sink the titanic... The Gas Artillery lets you blow up your own units like a chemical BM.
      Right now, CoN is still my favorite. I do play CoW simultaneously sometimes, usually when there is a fun event.
      There is something good about CoW.
      You can get achievements to get gold.
      Speaking of which, I spent 7k gold on a Dawn of the Patriot game(that I got from achievements) to try and even out the disadvantage that the resistance gets.
      I do know, Opulon uses CoW 1.5 as a "great example of what not to do" for CoN.
      It got so crazy that Japanese ships that had just been hit by 5 rockets moved faster than Maxed out allied destroyers.
      Anyhow, what are your thoughts?
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Hi !

Just answering on the "I do know, Opulon uses CoW 1.5 as a "great example of what not to do" for CoN."

CoW has it's own appeal, and i just want to warn against such an approach for CoN ^^.

Because let's face it, if you are a meta / hyper active player of those games, Pan-Asiatic doctrine is overwhelming, like... SURE, let's give people which biggest advantage is their ability to react and be 24/24 on the bridge...

MORE SPEED
      and MORE VISUAL RANGE.

In naval warfare it's ridiculous.

"Hello my dear friend. My battleships are stronger than yours, i move 20% quicker than you so... if you want to flee i'll be right on your tail. If you want to catch me, well, you can't. Oh, and i will have my ships at a range where i see you, but you don't know i'm here. I'll wait the hour i have a good feeling to fall on you like a tiger :) "

But in some way, i love it.

Back to the initial topic :

Supremacy1914 is slow. Like, incredibly slow for a CoW-CoN player. I began to play Supremacy1914 in 2009, and it's my first love with online grand strategy game. PLease consider that back in 2009, in a era where the most elaborate strategy games were excel games like Ogames or Travian.

You were like "WOW, i can actually MOVE my units on the map, and i see them moving ? it's like a risk in real time ? best game on earth". And indeed, it was REALLY ground breaking for the time.

Now, the game is deprecated in temrs of market standards (where CoN is way more ambitious), but it keeps some charm related to its game design : Its very slow pace implies there is a LOT of time for diplomacy, and it remains to this day its biggest appeal. It's the only game where diplomacy and elaborate treaties have some meaning, and needing 5-6 hours to move from a province to another had a tendancy to make strategical moves way more decisive.

The lack of variety in units, and its reliance on a system of provincial recruitment (you don't produce infantry. It's automatically levied every day on every province), typically had "its charm".

Supremacy 1 : The Great War is basically the CoWified (or CoNified) version of Supremacy. I didn't play it more than the alpha, so i won't dwell on it.

I continue to play Supremacy1914 (and generally speaking, the French Alliance "Royaume de Nelva", which i lead, is still 50% Supremacy1914 based, and the other 50% on CoN) and it does yield a lot of training assets for CoN players : you learn patience and discipline to optimise your economy as well as "observing and analysing" because, by God, you have plenty of time to do it, and sometimes CoN isn't as intuitive ^^.

Fun Fact : a player in Supremacy 1914 can mismanage his economy to the point, without any war or external problem, he spirals into negative productions, shortages, revolts, and death !

I consider myself as a Dorado/Bytro player, and i like to play all their products from time to time.

Supremacy1914 : When i want a relatively slow paced game where i'll be able to take tea, teach younglings about morality and philosophy, and think "very long term" (500 players supremacy map can last 90-120 days)
      CoW : When i want a arcadish strategy battle where i feel like i've launched a Call of Duty Deathmatch. It's quick, it's simple, it's easy to grasp, and it has a lot of subtleties for the veterans.
      CoN : When i want the game that is the deepest in its military tactis and options, where i can legitimately say that my brain can wildly wander the fields of theories and experimentations. It's also the best for competition in my opinion.

Even in CoN, the way i play it, i'm like a Old Knight in a era of rifles, but i think i got pretty well used to it, even if some may ask why i continue to carry some plate shoulders and a sword with my M16 :D
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Opulon wrote:

Just answering on the "I do know, Opulon uses CoW 1.5 as a "great example of what not to do" for CoN."

CoW has it's own appeal, and i just want to warn against such an approach for CoN ^^.

Because let's face it, if you are a meta / hyper active player of those games, Pan-Asiatic doctrine is overwhelming, like... SURE, let's give people which biggest advantage is their ability to react and be 24/24 on the bridge...

MORE SPEED
      and MORE VISUAL RANGE.

In naval warfare it's ridiculous.

"Hello my dear friend. My battleships are stronger than yours, i move 20% quicker than you so... if you want to flee i'll be right on your tail. If you want to catch me, well, you can't. Oh, and i will have my ships at a range where i see you, but you don't know i'm here. I'll wait the hour i have a good feeling to fall on you like a tiger :) "

But in some way, i love it.
      Even worse than what you just described. CoW 1.5 means that ships reload every 30 minutes and not every 60...
      AND Japanese battle ships move 30% faster than allied ships...
      I just want to reiterate something.
      Call of War has 2 big reasons why I like it as well.
      1. Free gold!(achievements)
      2. Fun events(10x speed games, historical games, Dawn of the Patriot(Axis won the war, colonies in America, resistance fights the axis))
      "Le patriotisme, c'est aimer son pays. Le nationalisme, c'est détester celui des autres."-Charles De Gaulle, Leader of Free France in World War 2.
      English: "Patriotism is to love your country. Nationalism is hating that of others."
    • Speaking of which, Royaume de Nelva is a very good alliance.
      Beware though, on the leaderboards, the French legion is right on your tail!(Kristovi leads it and I'm in it even though Je ne suis pas français)
      I read your alliance again, and you have a foreign ministry?!
      Opulon, I sent you a DM. S'il vous plaît, respond...
    • Opulon wrote:

CoW : When i want a arcadish strategy battle where i feel like i've launched a Call of Duty Deathmatch. It's quick, it's simple, it's easy to grasp, and it has a lot of subtleties for the veterans.
      havent played any cow since about 1.5 came out but I've always found it a bit confusing when compared to con
      and tbh just having a fucking radar and the ability to airlift stuff makes con imo a lot more comfortable
      I am The Baseline for opinions
    • ewac123 wrote:

Speaking of which, Royaume de Nelva is a very good alliance.
      Beware though, on the leaderboards, the French legion is right on your tail!(Kristovi leads it and I'm in it even though Je ne suis pas français)
      I read your alliance again, and you have a foreign ministry?!
      Opulon, I sent you a DM. S'il vous plaît, respond...

French Legion and Nelva do not see akin in the topic of wolfpacking, and in the past (like more than one year ago) i refused to play a challenge with them for this reason (Nelva sees challenges as trade. We don't trade with people we dislike) . Our relations are non existent. They do their business, we do our. They are non existent in the CaC and in the League, and i must admit i was nearly certain they were inactive and dead as an alliance, since i have not heard of them doing a challenge for ages.

But yes, we have a foreign ministry, and we uphold diplomatical relationships with sovereign alliances that are active enough to entertain such discussions and cultural exhanges.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • Seriously, French Legion is alive and playing challenges ?

I really was convinced they were 100% dead. Water ran under the bridges, so to speak. If they are weary to not join public games in large numbers anymore, we are not opposed to exhanging on challenge matters and such.
    • Not playing challenges.
      I haven't spoken to Kristovi since congratulating him on being promoted to first lieutenant(ingame rank).
      I have accidentally joined one game with 2 other FL members, is that allowed?(64 map)
    • Technically, no more than 5 in a 64 is okay, for the rules.

After... Being 5 on a map where being 2 is already a guarantee you'll dominate... :D
    • Hmm. I actually lost that map.(I ended in 4th place I think)
      The other side was *olding.
      They used *old to get an ICBM.
      I didn't publicly denounce gold. I just told ya what happened.:)
    • If those premises of the other games float your boat, more power to you. I am not interested in playing with units obsolete by todays standards, but would try a more futuristic CoN/CoW style game or a Supremacy2214.
      *** The Creator of Zombie Farming ***
      The KING of CoN News!!!
      The "Get off my lawn!" cranky CoN Forums Poster - not affiliated with Dorado in any way

"Death comes to us all. Shall I deal you in?" - DoD
    • Thanks to DoD for getting this thread back on track! Next time I will change my conversation with Opulon to a direct chat.
    • Call of War: never managed to figure out the meta (fine), game was too fast paced
      Supremacy1914: resource management boggled my brain, I couldn’t understand how to do it
      Supremacy1: what’s the difference between this and the above?
      Conflict of Nations: good :D

I’ll likely take another spin at Supremacy1914 sometime in December, once school is over. Maybe I’ll do better then :)
      Currently on (potentially permanent) hiatus

Instead of choosing wings to fly, we chose hands to hold with each other.

Yet the sky still fascinates us, is it such a crime to keep on dreaming?
    • S1 for some reason uses a crazy game mechanic.
      There are units that are more powerful than a CoN CHEMICAL BALLISTIC MISSILE.
      "Gas artillery" fires a gas cloud that takes 8 hours to decontaminate, and does like 20 damage every 7 minutes to all units within 100km.
    • Bytro-Games in general: Doomstack ftw

Supremacy1914 in special: very luck dependent, you can have the bigger army, but if you lose more artillery in shoot outs you are still fucked. Challenges can be fucked from the start, if one team got all the important resources: oil, metal, wood and the other team got all the food and gas

Supremacy1: Doomstacking to the max, less luck dependent but even worse doomstacking