Basic Airborne vs any other ground unit

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Basic Airborne vs any other ground unit

I have just started another battleground US game, and this time, I have deiced to play Nicaragua. Being in central america, there is a lot of jungle areas, so my unit speeds are slow and take forever to make any meaningful progress. I've decided to try out national guard, but being that it is still the first day of gameplay, I have a lot of opportunity to research new tech. I was thinking that Airborne would be a good idea (quick travel), but the troop just does not make sense or is not intuitive. What makes basic airborne uniquely helpful? It seems like they are just motorized infantry that can air assault. Is there anything more to them than that?
    • Not really, you've nailed it.

Airborn is hopelessly bad in combat, while it can be used creatively to conquer territory deep in enemy lines.

If you want a airborn unit infantry that will "fight", use special forces ^^.
      Running an online alliance is pretty much like running a small company, except you need to find other way than money to keep your employees productive. May they play or work, they are humans.
    • MicahWill wrote:

Not only that, but their stock went even further down because of all islands now have harbors. So now it is a weak unit that is even more niche than before.
      Interesting. I was thinking maybe you could station them on a border and prepare an attack. All at once, send a large swarm of them deep behind enemy lines to cap strategic targets. I thought they seemed niche, guess I was right.

You may be able to send special forces out to kill as many targets as possible and then airborne to cap targets that you need. For example, special forces kills a city and airborne finishes up the job in a few hours. But its just wiser to build motorized infantry or national guards. The only reason you'd use airborne is for speed it seems. This is all theory crafting, so this has no real substance lol.
    • StopThereCowboy wrote:

MicahWill wrote:

Not only that, but their stock went even further down because of all islands now have harbors. So now it is a weak unit that is even more niche than before.
      Interesting. I was thinking maybe you could station them on a border and prepare an attack. All at once, send a large swarm of them deep behind enemy lines to cap strategic targets. I thought they seemed niche, guess I was right.
      You may be able to send special forces out to kill as many targets as possible and then airborne to cap targets that you need. For example, special forces kills a city and airborne finishes up the job in a few hours. But its just wiser to build motorized infantry or national guards. The only reason you'd use airborne is for speed it seems. This is all theory crafting, so this has no real substance lol.
      Exactly. And as far as theory crafting goes, this is the biggest reasons I stray away from them:

That air assault ability is snazzy, but its not really practical for an infantry unit as they are primarily your "land conquerors". If I see 5 provinces I need to conquer an I have airbornes: I must click "air assault" and choose a province, wait for them to capture province, after that is complete: I again have to choose "air assault" and pick the province..... rinse and repeat. And the ground movement speed is so bad.... air assault is really your only movement option.

But if I use more basic inf units, I can just drive through those 5 provinces with a single command, much less maintenance needed to keep that front pushing forward.

(BONUS! airborne inf needs to be within range of airfields/bases to be able to air assault.)
      but, that's just my 2 cents' worth